GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

chrome shifter trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 08:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RACEFORGT
**Final update on chrome bezel install**

For anyone installing this piece aftermarket I have some invaluable information I have uncovered. As tired as I am of posting about it by now here is the sum of what I've found:
Sakataj is correct in part about the white plastic retainer box. In part because as he suggested, removing this piece solves the jamming/popping issue. But also in part because you don't need to remove it to solve the problem. I spent another hour or two today with a clear head and full optimism in finding a solution to this and realized as I was putting the shifter plate and black trim piece back together that I had been overlapping the parts in the wrong order. Once you take the shifter plate off (gray plastic plate you see with P R N D...), the inner plastic molding (the black striped looking inner piece that slides around) comes out of the white retainer box in a one-way type manner. To reinstall the shifter plate you need to remove the white plastic piece and install the plate with the molding first, clip down all four clips, then comes the white retainer. You have to make sure they line up and you have to put the entire console (new chrome bezel included) back on in the "L" gear. Once the whole thing is back together you need to push down on all corners of the chrome piece since its a bit thicker than the OEM to make it seat flush. Make sure you're connecting the Snow/Power, heated seat and VSC connectors as you're doing this!
That's it! Hopefully anyone installing a new aftermarket chrome bezel can learn from our mistakes and make it work right their first time. Through all the trial and error process I bent and scratched up the chrome bezel, parts of the entire console, part of the wood trim and my entire shifter mechanism is loose now. Hopefully you don't end up with the same outcome since you now know how to do it right.
Do not search for this piece anywhere but L-tunedparts (Carson), Sewell Lexus, or advancespeedshop.com. These vendors have very limited supplies if any and you'll never find an OEM one by itself!
Over and out...
yeah i knew if i played with it, i could get it to work with that box on there, but i didnt feel like messing with it as it wasnt vital. so i took the easy way out for once and removed the box and went about my business.
Old 12-18-10, 06:35 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe I have just acquired the last OEM chrome shifter bezel available anywhere on the internet. Sewell confirmed, I was purchasing the LAST one they will ever carry given production on these individual pieces has completely stopped. They are now being made/shipped ONLY as part of the center console assembly.
I bought it as an extra thinking I may need to replace it again in the distant future and how ridiculously hard this piece is to find.. but now Im open to bids on this rare gem!
Attached Thumbnails chrome shifter trim-bezel.jpg