GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

02 GS300 creaking/popping noise during slow turns

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 04:31 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 02 GS300 creaking/popping noise during slow turns

So Im new to CL and this is my first open thread. Sorry if this topic has been addressed before but I searched all over and found nothing even close to my concern.

I have a 02 GS300 (bought used) and have had a creaking/popping/grinding noise coming from the front end when moving very slowly, stopping and while doing so giving the steering a sharp turn. It only does it in this circumstance, basically almost every time Im pulling into a parking spot. It's been doing it since I bought the car 3 years ago but has gotten progressively worse and now its bad!

What do the people of CL suggest for my GS, with 75K miles, as a solution? And at the same time Im looking to make several mods (loweing springs, shocks, sways) What parts do I need to service/replace to make this all work? Im eager to get started..

I appreciate everyone's time and help!!
Old 09-11-10, 04:48 PM
02_GS430
Driver School Candidate

Most likely your ball joints are going out. I had the same problem about a year ago
Old 09-11-10, 11:09 PM
MU521
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

def ball joints. just replaced mine. was kinda scared to drive the car so replaced it for piece on mind
Old 09-12-10, 12:15 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

change them or join this club

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...gs-owners.html
Old 09-12-10, 12:59 AM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CHANGE em! asap DO NOT DELAY ! trust me I have joined the above metioned club! TWICE
nothing nice!
Old 09-12-10, 01:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AsGs300
CHANGE em! asap DO NOT DELAY ! trust me I have joined the above metioned club! TWICE
nothing nice!
TWICE????????????
Old 09-12-10, 07:54 AM
kao
Driver School Candidate

It is good idea to check lower ball joints. But if joints are ok, check your brakes. Insufficient rebound of pad support plates could be cause of unstable fit of brake pads in caliper.
Old 09-12-10, 09:21 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

No that's definitely it then! I don't know how I missed that thread but I DO NOT want to be part of that club! That's terrible, ball joints giving out can do that kind of damage??

The noises kevin.tran describes and the scenario where it does it is exactly what I'm experiencing. Creaking/popping while turning the car and going slow. So ball joints, just lower or should I do upper as well?
I just picked up some 18s off a GS450h (SWEET wheels!) and want to lower the car too. What else should I replace/mod to make it work best?
Thanks CL!!
Old 09-12-10, 02:51 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
TWICE????????????
yup had a chepo mechanic on the first one, he replaced both of em with crappy parts
first one happened with my chick driving the car!!!!
but now its all good!
Old 09-12-10, 04:10 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lower ball joints...replaced mine around 90K. I had similar symptoms and after reading some info on this site, I replaced them. Took the squeaks, bumps, and knocks away.
Old 09-12-10, 07:12 PM
junjun
Driver School Candidate

this just happened to me as well, i replaced the lower ball joints and found out that my uppers are bad too. the uppers are not cheap lol replacing them this week
Old 10-20-10, 05:24 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

This was my first thread on CL and I've learned a lot from all the users' advice and input ever since. However, after this long I took the advice in this thread and replaced both front ball joints on my GS.. I spent about $1500 actually on parts/labor and replaced all the shocks (fr & rear) all springs, did the outer tie rods and steering rack bushings along with the ball joints. I was excited to pick my car up and *hopefully* find the noise gone. I drove the car around the lot and the NOISE IS 100% STILL THERE! All that money down the toilet basically cause the car drives exactly the same, including the awful noise!
Again, it's a creaking/sqeaking/popping noise coming from the front end ONLY when going really slow and turning sharply or even worse when coming to a stop and turning sharply all at once (basically pulling into a parking spot). The noise has gotten much worse over the last year to year and a half to where it sounds like the front end is about to come apart!
The shop I took it to is supposedly very reputable and does some serious modding/tuning on imports but that doesn't matter cause they are the fifth "reputable" shop that can't find the source of the noise or claim they can't even duplicate it! Next stop is Lex dealer but I know they're out to rape me blind, I used to work for one!
Someone please throw out some advice if you know what else this could be! The noise is so loud and obvious I can't believe there isn't a more obvious solution.
Any help would be appreciated..
Old 10-20-10, 05:30 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Um, it has to be the ball joints. Hope they actually replaced them and you didn't waste your money.
Old 10-20-10, 05:44 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Did you get alignment done after all this work was done?
Old 10-20-10, 06:10 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Um, it has to be the ball joints. Hope they actually replaced them and you didn't waste your money.
They gave me all the old parts back to me in a box. The old worn ball joints were definitely in there. Anything else that could possibly be causing this noise? I've heard multiple opinions that the brakes could be the culprit. This noise does not sound like brakes at all though, but what do I know. It's not a little grinding or sqeaking, this noise sounds like the front end is falling apart, its like a loud groan.

Originally Posted by krispl
Did you get alignment done after all this work was done?
Oh yeah, alignment was def in there.. a $180 special weighted or spot (or something) alignment. This shop is real high-tech their work has been in multiple import tuner magazines and they do all kinds of competition shows. I can't believe they can't even fix the problem!

Quick Reply: 02 GS300 creaking/popping noise during slow turns