GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why is it...??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-02, 09:59 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it...??

Why is it that whenever I drive the GS, other driver's tend to not let me in or when I am about to pass them because there is a slower car in front of me, they speed up to block me from changing lanes in front of them. It rarely happens when I'm in the M3 though?

Does anyone else have this experience? It's almost like they see the GS and they immediately assume it should not be allowed to be driven "sportily"?

Just this morning a Porsche Boxster S did it to me. However, I passed him on the curve during a freeway interchange - that was satisfying...SUV's especially...Anyway...Sorry, it's Friday...I'm venting.

Brent
Old 07-12-02, 10:42 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Default hmmmmm........

BLiu - maybe they wanna get a closer look at one of the hottest rides on the road and also find out what it has for ***** ( their mistake )

Bimmers are a dime a dozen everywhere, but as far as the Lexus marque goes (at least where I live) to see a nicely done GS is a RARE thing!!!!

Always good to hammer some rich ****** in her little under-powered Porsche

Eric
Old 07-12-02, 10:54 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Brent, is it because you have a NRA bumper sticker on your M3?
Old 07-12-02, 10:55 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Brent, I feel & share the pain. Driving on the roads here on I-495 is like having to fullback behind the steering wheel.

I don't understand why other drivers act as if my car is invisible. It can be seen just as any other vehicle on the road. I often find myself cursing quietly & unsuccessfully, but then I gain true therapy by gateshifting & going WOT!

Ohhh....yeah, I feel much better now...the rush, the horror!

Last edited by lexlyf; 07-12-02 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-12-02, 11:17 AM
Lexusfanatic
Rookie

It happens to me often! I think it's because people are jelous, so they try to give you an attitude
Old 07-12-02, 11:28 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

People don't ususally associate young people in the Lexus, espeically a GS. A mod GS makes people dislike us even more because they think that our parents got it for us.

On the other hand, BMW are usually associated with younger drivers. Especially, When you drive the M3. People expect you to drive more aggressively.
Old 07-12-02, 12:36 PM
power3dfx
Rookie

i agree with the kids in a gs. most people see a young 18 year old in a gs, and they will stare them down, trust me ive seen it. its only natural from there that they just hate on the kid. now if the car is modded, oh man forget it.
Old 07-12-02, 12:58 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

sorry guys/gals,
i don't share the same problem, they seem to let me cut in front most of the time, they was too busy starring.

other times, my heavy foot will force my way in no matter if they let me in or not. hee hee

modified GSw body kit in austin is rare, maybe that is the reason why.

Last edited by BananaGS; 07-12-02 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-12-02, 01:09 PM
SilverLS400
Pole Position

Originally posted by Kajukenbo
People don't ususally associate young people in the Lexus, espeically a GS. A mod GS makes people dislike us even more because they think that our parents got it for us.

On the other hand, BMW are usually associated with younger drivers. Especially, When you drive the M3. People expect you to drive more aggressively.
couldnt agree anymore.....
Old 07-12-02, 01:11 PM
SilverLS400
Pole Position

OR HERES A THOUGHT

maybe when they see u in the bmw they get scared cause they know how bmw's are and it might blow up or a wheel might fall off so they stay their distance...lol

i just joking so no flaming of such sort...
Old 07-12-02, 01:34 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my bottom-of-the-CL-totem-pole GS gets lots of looks in Orygun because there aren't ANY of us. i know only one other, and CSHFLW is here but i don't think he drives his often. therefore, drivers also underestimate a GS and be ******, but even my little I-6 gets most of them. like my taillights, cheap-chrome boy??!!
Old 07-12-02, 01:39 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

hey bliu, i think i saw your car a few days ago (unless of course there is another car with your rims driving around torrance). you were pulling out of the plaza with tower/toysrus/chili's on hawthorne/sepulveda. think i saw some sort of parking permit hanging from your mirror (like a ucla permit). then you took off really fast around the left turn onto hawthorne (slight chirp of tires), passing this mustang on the outside of the left turn then cutting in front of him to get into the number 1 lane.

if that was you, i think i know why people don't let you pass

on a side note, some bastard in this old school s class tried to trap me behind a semi on the 110 fwy. the truck was going really slow about 100 yards in front of me in the slow lane of the 110. really far away. plenty of room to pass the benz on my left since we're both going about 65 (just got on the fwy). so i figure i'll just speed up and pass this old guy. but instead, he tries his hardest to not let me pass by keeping up with me. had to floor it and get up to about 120 mph to pass him. i guess i could have just slowed and got behind him, but it's just the principle of it for me. wish i had a tomato handy to loft out the sunroof after the pass...

Last edited by pvmike1; 07-12-02 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-12-02, 01:49 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Glad to know that it doesn't just happen to me...when I drive my GS, a lot of drives seem to get attitudes when I attempt to pass them. In the beginning I thought I was just paranoid, but there is a noticable difference when I drive my wifes car or my pickup. Also those drivers that pass on the right (when the left is clear) then cut you off then look out their rear view as though they just beat you in a race
Old 07-12-02, 09:27 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B and Gunner,

fully agree....i only "looked" young, so, many ricer boys, their mom and sisters all want to get close to me when i am on the road...:eek:
Old 07-12-02, 09:37 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Brent, is it because you have a NRA bumper sticker on your M3?

LOL...

In LA, half the cars on the road are nice *** rides, so its not like the drivers would be jealous or anything. And then again, most people dont even know the diff. between a lex and a honda, yet a lone, how to tell that a car is a Lex.

I get in and out of Traffic really easy. When no one lets you in, just waive your hand out to signal, and theyll always let you in.

Quick Reply: Why is it...??