GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Evaporator DIY w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 09:19 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Priceless. Great, throughout job on the D.I.Y., I'm sure this will help others out
Old 08-08-10, 09:46 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very impresive work that is for damn sure, but before i would even think of attempting this in case mine went bad id just sell the car lol
Old 08-08-10, 10:08 PM
RAWKUSsd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too many screws for me
Old 08-08-10, 10:11 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vwynn
you have massive *****.
You got my vote.
Old 08-09-10, 12:18 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

the thread title should be changed to diy dash removal + ac unit *bonus material*

also a subtle i drive a stingray thread.
Old 08-09-10, 12:35 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes this is a great link for dash removal.. Sticky material here
Old 08-09-10, 05:58 AM
cloead
Driver

Originally Posted by ElitistK
the thread title should be changed to diy dash removal + ac unit *bonus material*

someone posts on OT

and nice write up. makes pulling the dash look not so bad.
Old 08-09-10, 06:26 AM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK

I probably should have labeled it that considering that what the whole thread was about nearly... haha

As far as the I drive a stingray thread... Definitely not trying to show it off as all of those cars belong to my dad... Also its an AC'd garage, so when working in 100+ heat in GA, Ill take anything I can get....
Old 08-09-10, 07:31 AM
Starbucks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaporator DIY w/ Pics

dcz, Gets MUCH PROPS for this DIY!!!!! I really would double think about calling this a DIY, this looks insane!! I need mine done, mind coming up to NY : ) All joking aside, thx for a great write up, I know its a pain to take all these photos and do a write up, members like you are what make this a great site.
Old 08-09-10, 02:26 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
you have massive *****.

Great DIY!!!
Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Agreed!

actually guys the evap box is childsplay (well least for me, it is)....it looks like the dash was the hard part lol

Originally Posted by dcz
thanks... yeh I didnt put much in as far as the expansion valve goes, but I replaced mine too... Definitely a good thing to do while it is all out in the open. Good luck with it. It isnt worth all the money you pay someone to do it, I assure you that. It took me a while because I didnt know what I was doing, but I bet I could do the whole job now in under 4-5 hours... minus recharging... etc... Good luck!
GREAT write up OP I will be using this when i convert my interior to black to swap the dash. although when your removing the center console and stuff, dont use a flathead. you can scrap/mare it otherwise good job. you know what your pressures are reading now? what freon you put back in there btw? my suggestion woulda been R414b

Originally Posted by cloead
makes pulling the dash look not so bad.
x2
Old 08-09-10, 02:34 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, good job...
Old 08-09-10, 03:49 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
actually guys the evap box is childsplay (well least for me, it is)....it looks like the dash was the hard part lol

GREAT write up OP I will be using this when i convert my interior to black to swap the dash. although when your removing the center console and stuff, dont use a flathead. you can scrap/mare it otherwise good job. you know what your pressures are reading now? what freon you put back in there btw? my suggestion woulda been R414b

x2
Thanks man! Yeh, I agree that the evaporator isnt the bad part.. its just getting it out and everything back together that was the stressful part...

After I figured out that you dont have to take anything off of the heater box/evaporator housing... etc.. it was easy.. I took some stuff off that wasnt necessary and definitely took stuff out of order. I fixed everything to be in the best order and left out the unnecessary stuff out though.

I just ended up going with some 134a. I have a friend that gets me the stuff for free and just put it back in... I just did that yellow stingray in the pics this week and will probably put some r12 in there.. Do you know any places to get it cheap? I just bought 3 bottles off a private seller in Chicago but my dad has another stingray i need to put a system on... Dont feel like dropping another $40 a can...

Ive seen a few of your posts to know you know about variance in pressures due to ambient temps... I cant remember exactly what they were, but when i charged it it was 98 degrees out and the pressures were: Low- 45 and High- around 200 somewhere... I havnt had any issues as far as overcharging, but if youd like I can get you an accurate reading and post it up
Old 08-10-10, 09:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dcz
Thanks man! Yeh, I agree that the evaporator isnt the bad part.. its just getting it out and everything back together that was the stressful part...

After I figured out that you dont have to take anything off of the heater box/evaporator housing... etc.. it was easy.. I took some stuff off that wasnt necessary and definitely took stuff out of order. I fixed everything to be in the best order and left out the unnecessary stuff out though.

I just ended up going with some 134a. I have a friend that gets me the stuff for free and just put it back in... I just did that yellow stingray in the pics this week and will probably put some r12 in there.. Do you know any places to get it cheap? I just bought 3 bottles off a private seller in Chicago but my dad has another stingray i need to put a system on... Dont feel like dropping another $40 a can...

Ive seen a few of your posts to know you know about variance in pressures due to ambient temps... I cant remember exactly what they were, but when i charged it it was 98 degrees out and the pressures were: Low- 45 and High- around 200 somewhere... I havnt had any issues as far as overcharging, but if youd like I can get you an accurate reading and post it up
ha $40 for R12 is cheap i still have a jug in my garage...i sold one last year for like 1100 bucks , as i said use the R-414B EVEN in that R12 system its a awesome replacement. there are some pressure differences but its almost a direct drop in and it runs cooler

lol, yeah i know a thing or two, being thats what i do for a living about the pressures, by all means if u wanna get them, yeah get it but its not a big deal. i was just wondering if you knew them after you charged it. its all good, sir.

i will def use this for removing my dash
Old 08-10-10, 10:15 AM
dcz
Pole Position

How much does 414b run in relation to r12? Ill look into it.. I dont know anything about r12 or 414b... I dont know what the pressures should be in the vette etc... so anything you know the change lmk!
Old 08-10-10, 10:29 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dcz
How much does 414b run in relation to r12? Ill look into it.. I dont know anything about r12 or 414b... I dont know what the pressures should be in the vette etc... so anything you know the change lmk!
well 16oz of R12 is the same as 10oz of R414b. you can buy hotshot in a 10oz can (we sell it for bout $16 bucks) if you like, pm me and we can talk bout this since we strolling off topic. if you let me know where in georgia u are, i can tell you a close place to buy it (if your licensed). i love 414b its in my car and i can get it down into the 30's

Quick Reply: Evaporator DIY w/ Pics