GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 12:45 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
2GS has center channel?!
The Mark Levinson sound system in the 2GSs had a center channel (dash) speaker. I don't know if it was a separate channel out of the amp, or if was just somehow mixed from the front channels.

My application is different. I have a 98 that I just swapped interiors with an 04 model. So I have the opening for the speaker, but no speaker behind the grill in the dash.

I could probably install the external 605 speaker there, but I'm not convinced it will be loud enough. That's why I was asking Debonair about other options.
Old 03-22-11, 12:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh, ok, I dont have ML and no center speak or grille (that I recall).

I still would love to be able to wire it to the rear speaker.
Old 03-22-11, 01:20 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
2GS has center channel?!
Originally Posted by Blanco
The Mark Levinson sound system in the 2GSs had a center channel (dash) speaker.
Yup. See pic below - not my car but you get the idea.

Originally Posted by Blanco
My application is different. I have a 98 that I just swapped interiors with an 04 model. So I have the opening for the speaker, but no speaker behind the grill in the dash.
That actually sounds ideal. I say give it a shot. Other wise you need to find a way to feed the sound into your head unit so that you can use all the speakers and the cars amp to raise the volume.

You can also explore a headrest mod like THIS.

Using the factory center channel speaker I can not turn the volume all the way up. Only on the freeway at high speeds in wind or rain is it difficult to hear.
Attached Thumbnails New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit-inter.jpg  
Old 03-22-11, 04:06 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thats a clean addition to the car. Thanks for sharing, but I already got a double din thats bluetooth compatible
Old 03-23-11, 07:15 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzzz
Wow, thats a clean addition to the car. Thanks for sharing, but I already got a double din thats bluetooth compatible
I am sure LOTS of people, like you, have aftermarket solutions. Good thing I was not thinking about you when I made this post.
Old 04-19-11, 08:40 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so I spent some time this last weekend trying out alternate methods to put the phone audio into the factory speakers. I've tried all the methods mentioned so far in this thread.

None of them satisfied me so I'm going to try another method. I'm convinced on paper that it will work, I just have to wait for the parts to get here. It involves adding a relay and an amplifier. Once I get the parts, hook it up to test it out, I'll post my results here.

I'm just still not satisfied with the external Moto speaker in the cencter channel location in the dash, although I would suspect it would be loud enough for most people.

We shall see....
Old 04-19-11, 09:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep us posted dude.
Old 04-19-13, 08:56 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I ended up giving up. Current kept going back INTO the factory amp, no matter what I tried. I added another relay, that keyed off the mute wire when a call would come/go. That relay would charge, and in turn power on a small 2ch motocycle amp to drive the voice call into one of the car's speakers. Problem was it drove the speaker, and also into the factory amp causing all kinds of garbage.

I suppose I could have kept going down the rabbit hole. Believe me, pride was a motivating factor, but the diminishing returns curve was going up in a hurry. I've learned to live with it (Moto speaker in dash). It does the job 98% of the time, and the fact that I installed my mic in pretty much the same place as Debonair, doesn't cause ANY feedback!! So far EVERYONE I've been on the HF with, can't tell they're on speaker phone.

Long term solution is just to do a double din swap. I just don't know if I want to drop the coin for a new unit, climate control unit(I'm on factory nav) and 5 channel amp. Plus, I don't really like the idea of the climate controls ABOVE the screen. I'm sure I'd get used to it.