GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

going on my 4th compressor. what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 09:27 AM
motolex722
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default going on my 4th compressor. what gives?

So i've been having a lot! of a/c problems the past 6 months. My compressor first went bad last fall but decided to not replace it till the spring. I had my first compressor replaced in march, and immediately it didnt work so my dad, a toyota master tech for 12 yrs now, got it exchanged. The 2nd one worked for 2 months with MINIMAL use until the clutched burnt up. Now on to my last compressor. Not even 2 weeks & VERY minimal use later, the clutch is burnt up again! and now this time, my a/c unit inside the car is constantly switching from fresh air to recirculate no matter if you set it to one or the other or set it to auto. Also its not reading the outside temperature correctly. it's saying that it was 60deg yesterday when it was clearly pushing close to 90deg. If anyone has any ideas on what the problem(s) could be, please post a reply. I'm in my 3rd year of college and cannot afford to keep dumping $400 compressors in this car on a monthly basis.
Old 06-22-10, 09:35 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

why isnt warranty not covering the compressor? It does come with some type of warranty right? and if its just the clutch burning up, why you replacing the whole thing? And as pops as a master tech, cant he get you a diagnosis for free?
Old 06-22-10, 09:40 AM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ambient air temp sensor?? not sure if these cars have one tho. (i know this was going on on my audi, and when the outside temp would read off the chart, it would mess with my AC no matter what setting)

And your dad with all his experience has no idea?? never seen an issue like this?
Old 06-22-10, 09:51 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, there is a temp sensor located by the front grille/bumper, but that is only for the outside temp and has nothing to do with the ac staying on fresh air.
Old 06-22-10, 03:09 PM
motolex722
Driver

i posted this w/o my dad getting a chance to fully diagnose the problem again. Hopefully i can get a warranty for this compressor. The last compressor was pulled of a 49K gs at a lexus junkyard the dealer uses so i'm not sure if they offer warranties. My dad will get a quote on a new clutch tomorrow when he returns to work but i just wanted to run the problem through you guys to see if you had any ideas. Mocking my dad's experience isn't necessary, just thought i'd see if any of you guys have run into a similar problem.
Old 06-22-10, 04:12 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

slow down

if the car is switching from fresh air to recirculate by itself, is it also activating the A/C?
Does it turn the A/C on and off a lot (by itself)?
The clutch could be burning out b/c the AC is turning on and off all the time. I wouldn't buy a compressor until I solve what sounds like an electrical problem 1st.

Are there any fuses involved? Check for the cheap fixes 1st.
How long has the temperature reading been bad? Just now or for all the previous compressors?
Old 06-22-10, 06:17 PM
del3180
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation
Does your mechanic completely flush out your AC system before installing the new compressor and clutch? When a compressor goes bad, it can also dump garbage down the lines, which would then need to be flushed properly before installing the new unit.
Old 06-22-10, 06:42 PM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^ ++++1
Old 06-23-10, 06:55 AM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motolex722
The last compressor was pulled of a 49K gs at a lexus junkyard the dealer uses so i'm not sure if they offer warranties.
This could be part of the problem, I would not use junk yard parts while working on the AC system.
Old 06-23-10, 09:26 PM
motolex722
Driver

Originally Posted by werewolf
slow down

if the car is switching from fresh air to recirculate by itself, is it also activating the A/C?
Does it turn the A/C on and off a lot (by itself)?
The clutch could be burning out b/c the AC is turning on and off all the time. I wouldn't buy a compressor until I solve what sounds like an electrical problem 1st.

Are there any fuses involved? Check for the cheap fixes 1st.
How long has the temperature reading been bad? Just now or for all the previous compressors?
No the unit doesn't switch itself on and off by itself. I noticed while i was driving home with the a/c on that it wasn't as cold as it was earlier that day and then i saw the recirculate/free air light going back and forth while the a/c light remained lit. i tried to see if maybe if i put it on auto it would stop. It didn't so i tried then switching it manually to just recirculate, then just fresh air but neither of the 3 scenarios worked. It continued to keep switching by itself so i turned it off altogether to prevent any further damage which the next day happened anyway, the clutch went again.

all the fuses and relay's are fine. my dad did disconnected it then reconnected the outside air temp sensor and now it is reading correctly. i guess it reset itself?
Old 06-23-10, 09:27 PM
motolex722
Driver

Originally Posted by del3180
Does your mechanic completely flush out your AC system before installing the new compressor and clutch? When a compressor goes bad, it can also dump garbage down the lines, which would then need to be flushed properly before installing the new unit.
yes he does.
Old 06-23-10, 09:29 PM
motolex722
Driver

my dad's diagnosis is that the system is building up too much pressure & not an electrical problem. He does flush the system completely but he'll do it again this time to be positively sure there is not blockages. Also along with our 4th compressor he's going to install a new condenser as well. hopefully this solves our problem. I'll keep you all updated. thanks for bouncing around ideas.
Old 06-28-10, 07:31 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
why isnt warranty not covering the compressor? It does come with some type of warranty right? and if its just the clutch burning up, why you replacing the whole thing? And as pops as a master tech, cant he get you a diagnosis for free?
i was wondering the same things nathaniel

i posted this w/o my dad getting a chance to fully diagnose the problem again. Hopefully i can get a warranty for this compressor. The last compressor was pulled of a 49K gs at a lexus junkyard the dealer uses so i'm not sure if they offer warranties. My dad will get a quote on a new clutch tomorrow when he returns to work but i just wanted to run the problem through you guys to see if you had any ideas. Mocking my dad's experience isn't necessary, just thought i'd see if any of you guys have run into a similar problem.
he isnt mocking his experience but if he's a certified master for toyota and he keeps putting in compressors he should be looking for the other issues....i mean after the 2nd one he wouldnt put in another one if he knew what was good for him without figuring out the rest of the issues.... which would be were/what is causing the restriction that is causing the system to be over pressured

Originally Posted by del3180
thats true and 99% of people dont flush systems....if u look at every ac post i have commented on, i have always suggested flushing AND replacing the drier/expansion valve.

Originally Posted by pwesseler
This could be part of the problem, I would not use junk yard parts while working on the AC system.
100% x2, DONT use used parts on a a/c system, its not worth doing stuff like this again yet alone 3-4 times

my dad's diagnosis is that the system is building up too much pressure & not an electrical problem. He does flush the system completely but he'll do it again this time to be positively sure there is not blockages. Also along with our 4th compressor he's going to install a new condenser as well. hopefully this solves our problem. I'll keep you all updated. thanks for bouncing around ideas.
if your car is over pressurized you have a restriction someplace thats obvious but the first place i would go hunting is to make sure that your dad isnt over pressurizing the system and then i would check (replace) the expansion valve/drier. doubtful the condensor is clogged but it is possible....
Old 06-29-10, 11:41 AM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK First off, everytime you replace a compressor, you need to REPLACE your drier, too. When a compressor fails, it usually shoots metal pieces into the lines and accumulates in parts of the drier or condensor, or other parts.. Its important to change the appropriate parts if youre going to change the compressor. Also ALWAYS flush the lines if youre replacing it. That would explain your compressor screwing up after you changed it the first time... and the second.... Check out a DIY I posted for AC comp/drier/condensor install... It has all the info you need.

As far as your problem now goes with it recirculating etc...

system is overcharged... The reason it switches form outside to recirculate is due to an increase of pressure in the system. When the AC is on recirculate, the AC comp doesnt have to work as hard to maintain the AC cabin temperature because it doesnt have to work as hard to cool it. (this means less pressure in the lines)

When youre taking in outside air (especially in the summer) the AC comp will have to work MUCH harder to cool the outside air to the temperature you have it set on. You can definitely tell if it is overcharged if youre driving down the freeway and you feel your car jolt back and forth with the AC compressor coming on and off.... I would recommend hooking it up to some guages and looking at the high side pressure. Lexus comes with a high pressure shut off switch to disengage the compressor inorder to prevent it from getting destroyed. That would be why your clutch is screwed bc of the constant engange/disengagement.

Thats the down and dirty, but I can explain it in further detail if you need... I would release the pressure and take it to ANOTHER shop to get it recharged.
Old 06-30-10, 09:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dcz
OK First off, everytime you replace a compressor, you need to REPLACE your drier, too. When a compressor fails, it usually shoots metal pieces into the lines and accumulates in parts of the drier or condensor, or other parts.. Its important to change the appropriate parts if youre going to change the compressor. Also ALWAYS flush the lines if youre replacing it. That would explain your compressor screwing up after you changed it the first time... and the second.... Check out a DIY I posted for AC comp/drier/condensor install... It has all the info you need.

Thats the down and dirty, but I can explain it in further detail if you need... I would release the pressure and take it to ANOTHER shop to get it recharged.
i second the drier replacement....thats why i said it in the post above yours

as far as your DIY, as i said in it, yes its good but this isnt something a average joe schmo should be even attempting. people dont understand that freon CAN/IS a dangerous item to mess with.

and your last one made me laugh because you said to take it to another shop, which i agree with (but for a different reason) but its his DAD doing the work so that doesnt say much about him being "master tech for toyota" and its hard to tell your pops you dont trust his work