GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

In need of advice from you elders...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10, 01:42 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In need of advice from you elders...

Hey guys so once again i find myself in a situation. I am in the market for coilovers and i have a set of used Tein Flex i am about to pull the trigger on. I was going to get BC racing coilovers but the tein Flex's are about the same price with low mileage.

What do you guys think i should do? I am just worried that the tein flex might be too stiff for me and i should go with the softer BC coils. From all you suspension/Coilover experts out there what do you think i should do? Take in mind i like firmer suspension and im 17

Any thoughts would be appreciated since i need to make a decision in the next day or so!!
Old 06-21-10, 01:58 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

I got tein flex and i like them they are fully adjustable anyways
Old 06-21-10, 02:02 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geeznuts
I got tein flex and i like them they are fully adjustable anyways
Thanks. Are they too stiff around town. Like has anyone noticed that it was "uncomfortable"?
Old 06-21-10, 02:43 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

I got 2 kids 1 is a new born and they dont mind it
Old 06-21-10, 04:44 AM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

I would not buy Tein coilovers, a lot of guys have them on here and end up getting rid of them. I think they're a bad investment seeing as how if they blow they're gone. I wouldn't worry about coilovers if you are already on springs. Wait until you can afford air if you want to drive slammed.
Old 06-21-10, 07:08 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought flex were rebuildable..

idk if id buy used coilovers anymore, i mean you never know how that person drove..

...megans are cheep enough lol
Old 06-21-10, 07:23 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ran the Teins a few times in the past, I didnt care for them. Thats just my personal opinion. It wasnt that they were too stiff, they are adjustable, I just didnt like the way they performed. I have the Apexi coilovers now, and love them.
Old 06-21-10, 07:31 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id get the BC racing,. Tein isnt that good. You just pay for the name.
Old 06-21-10, 07:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Be prepared to get your @ss raped when it's time to repair those Teins. They have to be sent to Japan to be rebuilt and the price is not so cheap. With BCs, you can get new cartridges down the line without having to send your coils in. Your downtime will be kept to a minimum.
Old 06-21-10, 07:45 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The decision on a coil over system is a very personal one. You should really decide if you're more interested in performance vs. comfort, road noise transfer, adjustability of ride height with or without moving the spring perch, company stats, etc. You might reach out to someone like Mike Figs who is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about 2nd Gen GS suspensions and can give you significant feedback on which direction to go.
Old 06-21-10, 12:08 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used suspension components are never a good idea.

There are a lot of wear items in any suspension component, and you are buying a pre-worn, and pre-abused piece. It won't last as long as a new peice and you usually only save a fraction from new.

Buy new all the time for suspension pieces. It is well worth it in the long run.

There are some good suspensions avaialbe for not a lot of money. For anyone looking to save money and get a nice, bang-for-the-buck suspension we always recommend BC Racing coilovers. They do everything, from lowering and cruising to racing, and they do it well.

Feel free to PM us for more info
Old 06-21-10, 12:31 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

So you guys are saying skip the Tein Flex's with VERY low miles including EDFC as well and get a pair of new BC racing coils? It just seems like a good deal to me for some reliable Teins?
Old 06-21-10, 12:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The BC's or Bilsteins PSS's are good also.. I've been in a car with the Bilsteins and Flex and both felt great and comfortable.. Thats the good thing about coils is that they are adjustable from soft to a more stiffer ride..Although many have raved about the BC's here on CL and the infiniti sites.. GL TL
Old 06-21-10, 12:52 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like someone said above, do you want comfort?? do you want adjust ability? do you want a stiff lowered ride??

see im going with comfort and im looking for BC or Megans, but i need to see what is air compatible.
Old 06-21-10, 12:57 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys!! Im a teenager so i want a firm bmw feeling ride at times. Then be able to be adjusted towards more of a lexus feel. I just dont want people complaining that my car isnt a lexus anymore!

Quick Reply: In need of advice from you elders...