GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2003 BMW 530i vs. 2003 Lexus GS 300

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 04:56 PM
abelhands
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 BMW 530i vs. 2003 Lexus GS 300

I know in my own mind I have pros and cons for each of these cars. I'm curious as to what others think the pros and cons are. Here is my list below. I am going back and forth as to what I want. I don't consider it a con to not have a manual transmission, if I got the BMW, I'd want automatic anyways.

Here goes.

BMW
pros: bmw traditional sporty, interior hugs driver well, classic looks, horsepower, I know BMW's already, BMW forums, like bimmerforums and bimmerfest, BMW roundel magazine.
cons: reliability, not as comfortable as GS, dash is a bit dated, navigation not very good, long term ownership seems to be an issue with most people, paint quality , stereo and speaker quality.

Lexus
pros: comfort, reliability short term and long term, great Lexus dealership service, good looks, navigation is great and easy to use, Mark Levenson sound system, somewhat sporty but not as much as BMW, more relaxed driving experience.
cons: not the BMW 5 series tradition, not as sporty as 5 series, not sure if long term the car will always have the same quality to it. for example, I drive a 95 bmw 525i. even though it's 15 years old, it's still a pretty decent car. Will Lexus offer that in 15 years?

Any thoughts?
Would love to hear from people why they chose the 5 series over the GS, or other way around too.
Old 06-02-10, 05:00 PM
lunatyk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're going to get alot of bias answers.. I'd go for the gs300..
Old 06-02-10, 05:01 PM
abelhands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lunatyk
You're going to get alot of bias answers.. I'd go for the gs300..
That's ok. I posted this on a BMW forum as well. I know this is a Lexus forum.
Old 06-02-10, 05:03 PM
abelhands
Driver School Candidate

Is this the best Lexus forum? Meaning, the largest and the most active?
Old 06-02-10, 05:14 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by abelhands
Is this the best Lexus forum? Meaning, the largest and the most active?
The best
Old 06-02-10, 05:19 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome, as far as I know this is the most active Lexus forum for all models except the IS.

Have you considered a GS400 or 430? If you want something with a little performance I think you'd be happier with the V8 unless you're planning on going FI. The GS is pretty floaty stock, it will handle much better with some suspension work but from what I've heard it will never quite be a BMW.

Alot of it comes down to personal preferences but the reliability and build quality of the Lexus is a big selling point for me. Both of the Lexus I've owned have been a little older with some miles on them and have been very reliable. I wouldn't be too worried about long term quality if the car has been well maintained. IMHO, the body style of the 2nd gen GS has aged well. I like the looks of alot of BMW's but haven't ever driven one so I can't give a good comparison. I've been very happy with my GS though.

Good luck with your decision, drive both if you haven't yet and let us know your impressions!
Old 06-02-10, 05:22 PM
abelhands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Welcome, as far as I know this is the most active Lexus forum for all models except the IS.

Have you considered a GS400 or 430? If you want something with a little performance I think you'd be happier with the V8 unless you're planning on going FI. The GS is pretty floaty stock, it will handle much better with some suspension work but from what I've heard it will never quite be a BMW.

Alot of it comes down to personal preferences but the reliability and build quality of the Lexus is a big selling point for me. Both of the Lexus I've owned have been a little older with some miles on them and have been very reliable. I wouldn't be too worried about long term quality if the car has been well maintained. IMHO, the body style of the 2nd gen GS has aged well. I like the looks of alot of BMW's but haven't ever driven one so I can't give a good comparison. I've been very happy with my GS though.

Good luck with your decision, drive both if you haven't yet and let us know your impressions!
Hi Kyle,
Thanks for your note.
I would consider the 400 or 430, just a bit expensive unfortunately not in my budget.

When you say the stock is floaty, what do you mean by that?
Old 06-02-10, 05:32 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why 2003? Assume normal mileage these cars have 50-70k on them

BMW
1) owning one out of warranty can be very expensive. The 530i with sport is a great car but watch for wear items (bushings, radiator, water pump, tranny, CPS, suspension parts). I would only consider one with full service records and if I (you) were willing to do some greasemonkey work yourself. This will be the more expensive car to own, period. The big xfactor is whether the tranny implodes before you sell it (call it 4-5k in cost). Another is whether you suffer electrical issues (untraceable slow battery drains, intermittent failures) but I never had a drivetrain failure

Lexus
1) will not impress you after you drive the 530i unless you really want to be isolated from the road. Great drivetrain (engine / tranny) should last 150k miles with normal service. The suspension is soft and this car is roomier than the 530i.

I've owned (and suffered) used MB, BMW and Lexus cars. I found owning BMWs to be expensive (like 1k a yr in parts and some labor) past 60k miles on the cars.

Drive both and you'll make a decision.
Old 06-02-10, 06:53 PM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by werewolf
Why 2003? Assume normal mileage these cars have 50-70k on them

BMW
1) owning one out of warranty can be very expensive. The 530i with sport is a great car but watch for wear items (bushings, radiator, water pump, tranny, CPS, suspension parts). I would only consider one with full service records and if I (you) were willing to do some greasemonkey work yourself. This will be the more expensive car to own, period. The big xfactor is whether the tranny implodes before you sell it (call it 4-5k in cost). Another is whether you suffer electrical issues (untraceable slow battery drains, intermittent failures) but I never had a drivetrain failure

Lexus
1) will not impress you after you drive the 530i unless you really want to be isolated from the road. Great drivetrain (engine / tranny) should last 150k miles with normal service. The suspension is soft and this car is roomier than the 530i.

I've owned (and suffered) used MB, BMW and Lexus cars. I found owning BMWs to be expensive (like 1k a yr in parts and some labor) past 60k miles on the cars.

Drive both and you'll make a decision.
Agreed... You must have your own experience with both to know for sure my dude... Personally I had all of the 2nd gen GS's (300/400/430) and the 430 in my opinion is obviously the best... Speed, and handling is much better. It cannot compare to the handling of the 5 series BMW though, but that is like comparing apples and oranges...

Good luck with your decision... IMO... 430 all the way...
Old 06-02-10, 10:11 PM
krispl
Pole Position

I have worked on both, meaning BMW 325i, which is pretty much the same engine and on GS300, GS430 and IS300. Let me tell you man if you have warranty on bimmer go for it but if you don't go with lexus and you wont have nearly as many issues as with BMW. I've worked on my girlfriend bimmer a few times and not only they are a ***** to work on (no space, very tight and complicated design), so much **** goes out like window regulators, secondary air system, parts are a bit more expensive then Lexus parts and front suspension issues. It's up to you man I honestly think that BMW's suspension handling is way better then lexus's (unless you upgrade) but engine and tranny issues wont convince me to get it.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 06-02-10, 10:13 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If anything, I'd compare a 2004+ 5 series with A 2nd gen GS300. The 2003 BMW 5 series looks older in style IMO. Id go with the GS unless you where talking about a 2004+ BMW
Old 06-02-10, 10:43 PM
nasageek
Rookie

What's your budget? I would assume you can get a GS400 for the same price as the 530i. You do know that the GS400 is faster than the 530i, right? Since you own a 95 525i, I can also assume you know about BMW's reliability and its high maintainability factor.

Lexus can't match the bimmers handling. No doubt and I've owned german cars (bimmer, porsche). If you're looking for a reliable car that's decently fast, get a GS400. Don't even look at a GS300, you'll regret it. If you're looking for a car that handles great and you can afford the maintenance, get the bimmer.

In my opinion, the E39's are the best looking 5 series ever made. Classic/timeless look. I always wanted a 540i and looked into purchasing one before I purchased the GS400. What steered me away from purchasing the 540i is the car's reliability and maintenance issues. Too expensive for me to repair. I agree with Krispl...don't get a bimmer without a warranty.
Old 06-03-10, 12:06 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Kyle,
Thanks for your note.
I would consider the 400 or 430, just a bit expensive unfortunately not in my budget.

When you say the stock is floaty, what do you mean by that?
The stock suspension is pretty soft for a sport sedan IMO, a fair amount of body roll and it doesn't feel as planted to the road at high speeds. If you intend to mod the car that's somewhat irrelevant but worth noting, stock vs. stock the BMW should have much better handling. Comes down to what balance of handling/comfort you're looking for too; the GS isn't terrible by any means.

I'd consider driving a GS400 or 430 before you make a final decision; if the car's been well maintained mileage/age isn't a huge issue. My 99 GS400 has about 160,000 miles on it and has been very reliable the last 2 years, don't see any issues coming up anytime soon. I had a 92 ES300 years ago I sold with 205,000 miles on it that needed no major work in the 75,000 miles I owned it. These cars are very reliable if taken care of. A V8 that's a little older or a little higher mileage may fit your budget and make you happier than the GS300 if you're performance minded. GS's are going at very reasonable prices now, a little sickening when I look at how much I paid for mine before the economy crashed compared to what they're going for now. There's deals to be had if you're patient.
Old 06-03-10, 05:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I know in my own mind I have pros and cons for each of these cars. I'm curious as to what others think the pros and cons are. Here is my list below. I am going back and forth as to what I want. I don't consider it a con to not have a manual transmission, if I got the BMW, I'd want automatic anyways.

Here goes.

BMW
pros: bmw traditional sporty, interior hugs driver well, classic looks, horsepower, I know BMW's already, BMW forums, like bimmerforums and bimmerfest, BMW roundel magazine.
cons: reliability, not as comfortable as GS, dash is a bit dated, navigation not very good, long term ownership seems to be an issue with most people, paint quality , stereo and speaker quality.

Lexus
pros: comfort, reliability short term and long term, great Lexus dealership service, good looks, navigation is great and easy to use, Mark Levenson sound system, somewhat sporty but not as much as BMW, more relaxed driving experience.
cons: not the BMW 5 series tradition, not as sporty as 5 series, not sure if long term the car will always have the same quality to it. for example, I drive a 95 bmw 525i. even though it's 15 years old, it's still a pretty decent car. Will Lexus offer that in 15 years?

Any thoughts?
Would love to hear from people why they chose the 5 series over the GS, or other way around too.
i see that you are from NYC. If you are looking for a prestine & well maintained (including all paperwork) GS400, I can sell you mine. I can let you see/drive it in person. PM me if interested.
Old 06-03-10, 06:39 AM
abelhands
Driver School Candidate

DASHOCKER: I sent you a PM. Please respond to it when you can.

Quick Reply: 2003 BMW 530i vs. 2003 Lexus GS 300