GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

oil leak from valve gasket? can you guys confirm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 07:14 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak from valve gasket? can you guys confirm?

so the engine of my GS300 is leaking oil from what i think is the valve cover gasket. can you guys take a look and confirm if oil is indeed leaking from the valve cover gasket area?

there's oil all around where that top cover meets the rest of the engine. the red arrow shows what i'm talking about... there's a oily stain all around that area.

this picture is of the back of the engine by the firewall. you can see the blue egr valvle in the top center. the right side of the picture is the front of the car.
Attached Thumbnails oil leak from valve gasket? can you guys confirm?-oil-leak.jpg  
Old 05-24-10, 07:47 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

that looks more like oil seepage than a leak.

Take a look at the area between the two valve covers, where the spark plugs are.
A leak in this area could fill the spark plug holes and cause misfires.

How many miles on your GS?

Our cars have no EGR, VVT-i takes care of that, the blue thing is the PCV valve.
Old 05-24-10, 08:10 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FrankT
that looks more like oil seepage than a leak.

Take a look at the area between the two valve covers, where the spark plugs are.
A leak in this area could fill the spark plug holes and cause misfires.

How many miles on your GS?

Our cars have no EGR, VVT-i takes care of that, the blue thing is the PCV valve.
is that where the valve cover gasket is though? i'm assuming so, because that top cover would be the valve cover? and thanks FrankT, you've helped me quite a few times.
Old 05-25-10, 04:00 AM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You had me for a second there with EGR too, though I was going crazy, thinking it was the PCV... and to answer your question to frank (hope you dont mind), the valve cover gasket is going to be between the housing and the engine where the plugs are... At least I think so... lol (isnt that where they all are)...

P.S. Take one of your valve out inspect it to make sure no oil is seeping thru in there... I had that problem with my accord (they known for that issue)... Sometimes when the gasket goes bad, oil gets in there and you may need to change plugs as well...
Old 05-25-10, 06:00 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

yes, you guys are right. i misspoke about the egr valve. it's the pcv valve.

i will definitely check that no oil is leaking into the spark plug area now that you've mentioned it.

but i'm still confused as to why oil is seeping from that seem? does this mean my valve cover gasket is bad? is that where the valve cover gasket is? a diagram would help if anyone has.
Old 05-26-10, 06:33 AM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Refer to the red ellipse, this is a picture of a SC, but uits basically the same analogy... It is definately the valve cover gasket and its located it that same place... This guy seems to have had the same issue as you...

Question: did you recently do an oil change and over-filled it?

If so, then you may need to change the o-rings in engine etc... Be sure too, that this is the only place that you are having leakage...

Rich
Attached Thumbnails oil leak from valve gasket? can you guys confirm?-engine1.jpg  
Old 05-26-10, 08:36 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's a diagram of both valve covers.

Old 05-26-10, 09:12 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FrankT
Here's a diagram of both valve covers.

Originally Posted by Rich23
Refer to the red ellipse, this is a picture of a SC, but uits basically the same analogy... It is definately the valve cover gasket and its located it that same place... This guy seems to have had the same issue as you...

Question: did you recently do an oil change and over-filled it?

If so, then you may need to change the o-rings in engine etc... Be sure too, that this is the only place that you are having leakage...

Rich

frankt, rich23, many thanks to you both!