GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wood steering wheel question (I have been searching :) )

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 07:07 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
Does the 01+ GS airbag fit in the ES wheel? I wonder if the audio controls from the GS430 will fit in the same place as the controls on the ES wheel.
yea it does.
Old 08-09-10, 12:16 PM
airestonia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Project wood steering wheel

Well I bought the wheel long time ago and the color of the finish didn't match at all.
Here are a couple of pictures:

So I began sanding in the hopes of reaching pure wood soon

But after centuries of sanding in a row I began doubting my techniques
And thanks to this CL page right here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hing-pics.html
I understood that sanding isn't the way to go.
So after applying some of the "right" chemicals on the wheel I quickly got these results:

So the last picture is how it is at the moment. I'm pretty happy with how things are turning out and in the nearest future am planning on using this guys advices:
http://www.minwax.com/expert_tips/wood_finishing/
On how to correctly prepare, paint, etc my steering wheel.

Please reply with any advices, hints on how to "at least try" to make sure I get the right tone of the finish and match it to my interior stock wood.

Thank you!
Old 08-09-10, 12:29 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That looks a lot like the cherry wood from the ES
Old 08-09-10, 04:19 PM
Dueces
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you will finally get the color matched up right this time, looks like its coming along great.
Old 08-18-10, 10:55 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Did the other plugs fit besides the airbag plug? Because it does not seem to fit on my ES wood wheel to my 98 GS. If you got it to plug up, please let me know how you did it(not talking about the airbag).
Old 08-19-10, 06:29 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dueces
Looks like you will finally get the color matched up right this time, looks like its coming along great.
Thank you

Originally Posted by dsouth
Did the other plugs fit besides the airbag plug? Because it does not seem to fit on my ES wood wheel to my 98 GS. If you got it to plug up, please let me know how you did it(not talking about the airbag).
Huh? Could you please be more specific, what plugs do you have in mind? I haven't yet installed the steering wheel, because I haven't yet finished the project. Plus mine GS is 2001 (steering wheel differs from 98) and the wheel is taken from 2002 ES. You think there might be some problems with installment?

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
That looks a lot like the cherry wood from the ES
It is, it actually says this in the beginning of the thread.
Old 08-19-10, 11:08 AM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Good job man!! That wheel looks all ready for stain. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 09-05-10, 01:21 PM
dungut
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you got any updates? Im getting ready to refinish my dull wood wheel, and would LOVE to know what stain to buy that matches the factory wood color for the 2gs.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-10, 07:50 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fenderzig
Good job man!! That wheel looks all ready for stain. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by dungut
have you got any updates? Im getting ready to refinish my dull wood wheel, and would LOVE to know what stain to buy that matches the factory wood color for the 2gs.

Thanks!
No man, no major updates I have sanded down the wood one more time to prepare for conditioning and staining. But found multiple places where I'd need to use "bondo". But first I need to find or make a color matching one and only then I can proceed with applying a conditioner and a stain.
When it comes to stain I'd put my bet on the closest color to the oem wood, but would look for a bit lighter color because when lacquer is applied the tone gets a tad darker
Old 09-09-10, 09:35 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You will have to give up your shift buttons on the steering wheel. You probably don't use them much anyways I take it?
Old 09-10-10, 07:10 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
You will have to give up your shift buttons on the steering wheel. You probably don't use them much anyways I take it?
Yes, I would have to, but I do not use them at all! For me lexus isn't a car where I would want to downshift and race like crazy

Either way, here are two pics with stuff that I'm dealing with right now:

Everything I need to do is pretty clear to me but one thing. Lacquering!
I am not sure a rattle-can lacquering job would do this wood wheel justice. I can't find any companies that are dealing with something similar professionally so I think doing it myself is my only option.
What do you think about using a water-based lacquer and applying multiple thin layers with a brush (or a roller), by all means wet-sanding in between the layers.

Please advice on the lacquering part of this job, I'd really appreciate it!
Thank you
Old 09-10-10, 07:35 AM
scannmann
Rookie

Originally Posted by ac921ol
What wheel actually has e-shift and wood???

And what wood wheel would I get if I have a platinum package gs.
Here is a pic of mine. Was already in the car when I purchased it not sure where it came from
Attached Thumbnails Wood steering wheel question (I have been searching :) )-my-interior.jpg  
Old 10-22-10, 05:41 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

So I've been searching for a gray wood steering wheel to upgrade my stock 02 GS3 one and found this one on ebay. It's gray and supposed to be for an 02-04 ES. Now supposedly the ES wheels work on the GS as far as fitment but a couple posts in this thread say that the ES came with a darker redish colored wood interior that is completely different from the GS wood color. Can anyone tell me what they think of these pics? Did the ES ever come with the same wood color as the GS or are these pictures just taken in the wrong light and are actually the red wood?
I'd love to know before I dish out some big $$$ on this so any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Wood steering wheel question (I have been searching :) )-b6ffc-ewk-kgrhqiokiyey9ok-edlbmwhn-1nbq-_12.jpg   Wood steering wheel question (I have been searching :) )-b6ffefg-mk-kgrhqyoknmey1488k5-bmwhnfou-w-_12.jpg   Wood steering wheel question (I have been searching :) )-b6ffgmgcgk-kgrhqeokniey0vr5jzbbmwhnljl2-_12.jpg  
Old 10-23-10, 08:02 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

Any thoughts on the wood color on this steering wheel??? I'm about to drop $300 on ebay but need to make sure this isn't the red wood color. In these pics the wood color looks almost exactly like that in my 02 GS. Any suggestions would be great!
Old 03-30-11, 06:56 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Hey there fellow GS enthusiasts!

Firstly I would like to say that I'm ashamed of my self
On 05-20-2010 I got the wheel and at that time I though I would have it redone in no time.
And here we are, almost a year later and it's still ain't done

But I do have some updates

In the previous post I've written that I have scratched the wood a little in a couple of places, so that got all taken care off, sanded and prepared for painting.

Previously I have only taken into consideration staining and then applying clear lacquer, but I've gone the other way.
After consulting at local paint shop I was told that if I fail to find an exact matching stain it would be hard to remove it afterwards, since it penetrates wood pretty deep inside and I would have to sand a lot. So I was advised on using a tinted lacquer.
I have had my wood **** with me, so I chose the color according to that and got to painting.
First layer has been 20% solvent and lacquer the rest, but second should be only lacquer.

And this is where I'm currently at. Today I will proceed with wet sanding and possibly applying second layer.

I would appreciate if someone could advise on what type of sanding paper to use. Currently I have 400, 1000, 1500 and 2000 wet sanding paper. Should I use something between 400 and 1000? Thank you!

Here are the pics! (pardon the low quality)

Quick Reply: Wood steering wheel question (I have been searching :) )