GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

bass rattles

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 03:02 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bass rattles

what rattles do you guys have from turning up bass (factory or after market)?

i just did a bandpass ported through my rear deck where stock sub was, and it sounds a whole lot better- more bass in cabin of car and a lot less rattles than before, but theres just ONE rattle that is there even at low volumes.
its in the back left side of the car, on the left side of the trunk. it sounds like its coming from the bumper or the exhaust or maybe somewhere inside the trunk where the jack is. i cant figure where its coming from or how to stop it.

any of you have had this specific rattle that you got rid of?

post any other fixes to "bass rattles" so we can all see them too =)
Old 05-09-10, 07:50 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

try dynomatting where the spare housing is,
Old 05-09-10, 08:34 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

ive dynamatted it a little bit (didnt have much left after doing the doors).
but it doesnt see to come from the spare tire area.

anyone have experienced and fixed this?
Old 05-09-10, 09:03 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

mine rattles from the center seat belt that is hung from the rear deck lid. i just turn it up though. hehe
Old 05-09-10, 09:10 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
mine rattles from the center seat belt that is hung from the rear deck lid. i just turn it up though. hehe
best way not to hear ratteling, except when your out of the car , sounds like pots and pans
Old 05-09-10, 10:49 PM
lilsharky
Pole Position

mine rattles on right bumper..but i dunno if its because of the 2 12s or not try pushing in your bumper to see if it still rattles
Old 05-09-10, 10:56 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

next to the sub, if you look underneath, there is a square plastic box. that thing rattles even with little bass.
Old 05-09-10, 11:01 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
Just remove it. Your seat belt will be expose but the noise will be gone. Way to do it is by removeing the back deck lid.

To OP: check underneath your car for any broken or loose tabs/screws. Try holding your bumpber here and there to test for rattles. Also might want to remove the carpet and check for and loose items.
Old 05-10-10, 01:42 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

No, it's actually something else lol. The GS trunk has vents on the both of the quarter panels behind the bumper. They have a flap on them and they will buzz or vibrate when you have big subs. I think the vents are for in case someone gets trapped inside so they don't suffocate. You can get them welded shut if you're sure nobody will get locked in your trunk
Old 05-10-10, 07:46 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
No, it's actually something else lol. The GS trunk has vents on the both of the quarter panels behind the bumper. They have a flap on them and they will buzz or vibrate when you have big subs. I think the vents are for in case someone gets trapped inside so they don't suffocate. You can get them welded shut if you're sure nobody will get locked in your trunk
If someone does get trapped, there's the emergency release lever inside. Plus it's glow-in-the-dark so they shouldn't miss it unless they're sleeping lol.
Old 05-10-10, 07:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

The license plate rattled on mine - dynamatted the back of it heavily and fixed the issue.
Old 05-10-10, 10:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by robertoyou
what rattles do you guys have from turning up bass (factory or after market)?

i just did a bandpass ported through my rear deck where stock sub was, and it sounds a whole lot better- more bass in cabin of car and a lot less rattles than before, but theres just ONE rattle that is there even at low volumes.
its in the back left side of the car, on the left side of the trunk. it sounds like its coming from the bumper or the exhaust or maybe somewhere inside the trunk where the jack is. i cant figure where its coming from or how to stop it.

any of you have had this specific rattle that you got rid of?

post any other fixes to "bass rattles" so we can all see them too =)

i actually cut a hole INTO the rear deck through the metal of the rear deck and then through the interior part of the rear deck as my port was to close to the rear deck.

Originally Posted by AsGs300
try dynomatting where the spare housing is,
u mean like this?

Originally Posted by bigguppy
Just remove it. Your seat belt will be expose but the noise will be gone. Way to do it is by removeing the back deck lid.

To OP: check underneath your car for any broken or loose tabs/screws. Try holding your bumpber here and there to test for rattles. Also might want to remove the carpet and check for and loose items.
thats what i did ben, lol

Originally Posted by DarKnight
If someone does get trapped, there's the emergency release lever inside. Plus it's glow-in-the-dark so they shouldn't miss it unless they're sleeping lol.
no the part jeff means this white piece in the corner

EDIT: just realized what you meant after reading kyles post and re-reading yours...btw the glow-in-the dark emergency trunk release WASNT mandatory till 2001 so any GS from 1998-2000 DOESNT have this piece.

regardless here is a pic to show one of the vents

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
The license plate rattled on mine - dynamatted the back of it heavily and fixed the issue.
yeah i did that too lol

Last edited by sakataj; 05-10-10 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-10-10, 01:43 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was thinking the same thing Jeff was from your description, I don't have bass in the GS yet but I've had this happen in previous vehicles. You might be able to glue it shut with a bunch of hot glue or something; haven't seen the vent in the GS other than Brian's picture to tell whether you'd be able to get at the actual vent pieces that are making noise.
Old 05-10-10, 04:11 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Cardboard works well too if you wedge it in there before tightening all the screws. This is something that plauges my car too, I just have never bothered to really look into it. It doesn't rattle outside so it only bugs me.
Old 05-10-10, 06:37 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the vents are for in case someone gets trapped inside so they don't suffocate. You can get them welded shut if you're sure nobody will get locked in your trunk
The vents in the trunk are there for proper cabin "vent"ilation. So when you turn the hvac fan on fresh, and it draws in air from the outside, it has somewhere to go. Imagine how weak the air would blow, if at all, if it were forced to blow into a nearly airtight cabin. That would be like trying to blow into a balloon that is fully inflated, see what I mean?

Quick Reply: bass rattles