GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

help on stereo install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 01:24 PM
Duroni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on stereo install.

so im going to be installing a new head unit very soon with a sub and an amp for the sub. having the head unit power my interior speakers.

-head unit (pioneer avh-p4200)
-12" sub (infinity kappa series)
-amp (an old sony xplode 1000 watt amp for sub) will be replaced in the near future.

but my question is...since my stock ML amp is fried how will i run my wires to the new head unit for the speakers? i tried searching all day yesterday for answers, FAQ's and DIY threads. couldnt come up with anything but i did find other useful info.
can anybody help me out or point me in the right direction?
Old 04-27-10, 01:31 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duroni
so im going to be installing a new head unit very soon with a sub and an amp for the sub. having the head unit power my interior speakers.

-head unit (pioneer avh-p4200)
-12" sub (infinity kappa series)
-amp (an old sony xplode 1000 watt amp for sub) will be replaced in the near future.

but my question is...since my stock ML amp is fried how will i run my wires to the new head unit for the speakers? i tried searching all day yesterday for answers, FAQ's and DIY threads. couldnt come up with anything but i did find other useful info.
can anybody help me out or point me in the right direction?
Two options I can think if. Either run new wire to all your speakers, or run new wire to the trunk where the ML amp was and tap into the existing car's speaker wires. To be honest, I'm not that into rewiring my cars anymore since I'm much lazier than before, so I just ran new wire to were the amp was and tapped into the car's existing speaker wire.
Old 04-27-10, 07:26 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have to rerun that much wire... if i were you, i'd save up some extra cash to get a 4 channel to power up your door speakers (hoping you have 2 sets of components). This will be more worthwhile.. but not sure what type of setup you are into.

But as CK said, you'll need to run new wires from the deck to the ML amp... thus bypassing it. I did the same but i got it easy cuz my pioneer amp is on passenger side kick.
Old 04-27-10, 11:39 PM
Duroni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
To be honest, I'm not that into rewiring my cars anymore since I'm much lazier than before, so I just ran new wire to were the amp was and tapped into the car's existing speaker wire.
sounds like the easiest route to go. how did the install go? seems like it would be a messy scene with wires everywhere. sound quality still decent even tho ur cuttin up all those wires to tap into?
Old 04-28-10, 04:16 AM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of doing the same thing as istundra said. My ML is good, and I was thinking that i could take my time IF I decide to put in a system... lol, Not too sure yet, my boy has a pair of 15" MOJO15D4. Maybe if he budges on the price I will do it. That is, run new wires with a 4 channel amp for mids/tops and a mono block (probably EARTHQUAKE 5000 watts) for the base... Those speakers will need some serious power...
Old 04-28-10, 12:26 PM
Duroni
Driver School Candidate

yeah i would go that route as well but time is money and unfortunately i dont have much of both lol
Old 04-29-10, 02:01 PM
lostthumb
Driver School Candidate

Running speaker wires through the door is not that hard. With a little patience it can be accomplished. I believe it is easier than hacking up your wire harness.
Old 04-29-10, 02:15 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Running new speaker wires to each door is more involved and time consuming. It is however the pro way of doing it.
Old 04-29-10, 07:32 PM
2G300
Driver School Candidate

The easiest thing to do and most inexpensive is to just run 4 speaker wires to the factory amp location in the trunk. It isn't very hard at all. And it isn't very expensive. I work at a stereo shop here in Florida and we would sell someone the wire for around 20.00. Only downfall is that you loose your factory sub, but if you are adding an aftermarket it doesn't matter.

The wiring colors should be as follows:
Left Front +/- Pink/Violet
Right Front +/- Light Green/Blue
Left Rear +/- Black/Yellow
Right Rear +/- Red/White

Good luck.
Old 04-30-10, 06:01 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2G300
The easiest thing to do and most inexpensive is to just run 4 speaker wires to the factory amp location in the trunk. It isn't very hard at all. And it isn't very expensive. I work at a stereo shop here in Florida and we would sell someone the wire for around 20.00. Only downfall is that you loose your factory sub, but if you are adding an aftermarket it doesn't matter.

The wiring colors should be as follows:
Left Front +/- Pink/Violet
Right Front +/- Light Green/Blue
Left Rear +/- Black/Yellow
Right Rear +/- Red/White

Good luck.
Great info for a first post!
Old 04-30-10, 05:39 PM
2G300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Great info for a first post!

Thanks, i have been working in the car audio industry for 16 years now. I get questions like this all day.
Old 05-01-10, 11:30 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

run new wires our cars are 10 years old and wire does degrade over time it not that hard just make sure you run all speaker wire on passenger side and rcas then power on the driver-side all the stock turn signals and power wires are on the driver side will give you interference if you run rcas and speaker wire close to them..
Old 05-01-10, 11:32 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

just looked at my post could be confusing rcas and speaker wire go on passenger side were the power goes on driver side.
Old 05-01-10, 11:59 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you've got decent quality RCA's you can run them pretty much wherever you want without noise. I've got mine run down the driver's side without any problems, the power run is shorter down the passenger side so I did it that way.
Old 05-01-10, 05:53 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
If you've got decent quality RCA's you can run them pretty much wherever you want without noise. I've got mine run down the driver's side without any problems, the power run is shorter down the passenger side so I did it that way.
makes sense. battery is on passenger side. thanks!

Quick Reply: help on stereo install.