GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 gs300 making buzzing loud buzzing sound**helpppppp

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 11:18 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bboystrobe
So did the new assembly fix your buzzing noise and dash lights? I'm having the same issues with my 98 GS
NOOB search WIN

1ST Post and it wasnt a new thread
Old 04-17-10, 05:12 PM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with sakataj, because my servo (driver side) is buzzing right now, and no lights are on, on the dash. The servo will come on when the car ignition is on and then come to a stop... If anyone needs a deal on servos, let me know...

Rich
Old 04-28-10, 07:14 AM
MartijnAms
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about the same problem, cant find solution (searched).
Description:
  • Noise is definitely audible, not screaming loud, soundlevel like a normal conversation.
  • Sounds like an electrical pump with an airbubble, sort of buzzing, but louder than the other pumps you can hardly hear.
  • Location is from under steering column (i think).
  • Noise lasts for about 2-4 (?) seconds, always the same lenght.
  • Only when driving and braking to a (near) stop, i believe always.

I have a dealer look at it 5th of may, but a mechanic already drove it and couldn't place the sound (never heard it- ok. he was young), so I don't have high hopes. Two dealerships thought is was not something to worry about.
I just don't like the sound... I suggested to bleed the brake system, can that harm the expensive brakebooster assy?
I will bring it to the official Lexus dealership in Amsterdam.

I wil post back results after may 5th, but maybe you guys can give us some tips to look at?
Old 04-28-10, 07:21 AM
doe619
Rookie

i bought a complete brake assembly from jefftsai for a 2003 it all lined up except fpr sensor.just switched sensor over and had the stealership bleed system($149) and all is good now. no more buzzing,no lights...
Old 04-28-10, 08:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MartijnAms
Description:
  • Noise is definitely audible, not screaming loud, soundlevel like a normal conversation.
  • Sounds like an electrical pump with an airbubble, sort of buzzing, but louder than the other pumps you can hardly hear.

I have a dealer look at it 5th of may, but a mechanic already drove it and couldn't place the sound (never heard it- ok. he was young), so I don't have high hopes. Two dealerships thought is was not something to worry about.
I just don't like the sound... I suggested to bleed the brake system, can that harm the expensive brakebooster assy?

I wil post back results after may 5th, but maybe you guys can give us some tips to look at?
might help if we knew more bout your car...

year/make/model

Originally Posted by doe619
i bought a complete brake assembly from jefftsai for a 2003 it all lined up except fpr sensor.just switched sensor over and had the stealership bleed system($149) and all is good now. no more buzzing,no lights...
good job
Old 04-28-10, 12:25 PM
-Future-
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doe619
How hard is it to switch the sensor over? I have a 2000 GS and my brake cylinder has been acting up so I went ahead and already bought a unit from a 2001. I'm wondering how much work is involved in the swap.

Thanks
Old 04-28-10, 12:51 PM
MartijnAms
Rookie

Originally Posted by sakataj
might help if we knew more bout your car...

year/make/model

good job
Thanks for the reply, its a '98 GS300. See description above of my noise problem. by the way: I have no warning lights and normal braking.
Old 04-28-10, 02:52 PM
doe619
Rookie

Default sensor

Originally Posted by -Future-
How hard is it to switch the sensor over? I have a 2000 GS and my brake cylinder has been acting up so I went ahead and already bought a unit from a 2001. I'm wondering how much work is involved in the swap.

Thanks
really easy to change sensor over, i think 32mm socket and comes right off, really easy to change it over..4 nuts under pedal, 1 on pedal, couple brake lines..
Old 06-22-10, 04:39 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Description:

I'm getting this same problem, I have an 01 GS300. Anybody have a solution?Could it be an ABS problem? Can I just delete the ABS?

This started happening after I changed out my caster arm bushings. I'm wondering if one of the front ABS sensors got messed up, but I don't think I did anything that could have harmed them. Maybe they are dirty? I didn't have any time to really diagnose the problem. I also heard a sound coming from the front passenger side, might be the brake shield rubbing on the rotor. I'm really worried about the car though, I hope it is not too much to get it fixed. Good news is most vibrations are gone from the front!
Old 06-22-10, 07:50 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

im hearing a noise like whats being described in the front passenger side but ive only heard it when im in the car. sounds like something behind the glove box. goes on and off randomly for brief moments and stops. been trying to figure out where or what it is but no luck so far.
Old 06-22-10, 07:52 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i have an 01 gs300
Old 06-23-10, 06:26 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Am I doomed to buy a new unit, only to have it potentially fail again?
Old 06-23-10, 06:27 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Or could a busted ABS sensor in the front cause these symptoms?
Old 06-24-10, 01:50 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Description:
My car: 1999 GS300, approx. 100K miles

I almost have the same 'issue'. I've read it's the braking system pressurizing, since it's not a vacuum booster. But that still leads me to question if the system should make this particular noise, as it's a little bit annoying.

So here are my symptons:
  • Noise is definitely audible, not screaming loud, soundlevel like a normal conversation. (same as Martijn)
  • Sounds like an electrical pump with an airbubble, sort of buzzing, but louder than the other pumps you can hardly hear. (same as Martijn)
  • Location is from behind the driver's side vent (exactly where the brake assy is...)
  • Noise starts after start-up, last for approx. 8 sec then stops. Always comes back after long braking (at any speed I believe, it's hard to heard when you're going 60+ mph)
Old 06-24-10, 02:38 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I once had to remove all the plugs under the hood up by the driverside firewall to do some work for my bags and forgot to plug them back in, when I turned the car on a loud buzz (alarm) came on because of it. I think those plugs were from the anti-lock brake system. Just throwing that out there, maybe the ABS computer is failing? Not trying to create anxiety, just an experience...

Quick Reply: 98 gs300 making buzzing loud buzzing sound**helpppppp