GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

pattering noise?

Old 06-25-14, 06:58 AM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default pattering noise?

Minor crisis in my life, as my 01 GS3 is having it's first ever issue since i got it :/ (issue could be minor, it's just sad i'm finally having an issue haha)

Last night after driving it about 15 miles or so, i stopped somewhere and turned my car off. standing on the passenger side of the car by my front tire, i heard a weird patttering noise, kind of like something flapping. from looking, i couldn't see anything hanging from underneath the car.

any idea what it could be? everything looks normal under the hood from a quick inspection before going in to work this morning, but i haven't gotten under the car to look in depth yet.
Old 06-25-14, 07:11 AM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somewhat new to the workings of this car myself so take what Im about throw out there with a grain of salt. I have 2 scenarios that sound similiar to what you describe.

1. Had a 98 altima who's fans would switch on even when the car was off. There was a maple leaf lodged in the radiator so you could hear a "pattering" type noise if the fan kicked on and you were outside of the car. Can't say I've noticed my GS doing this before.

2. Another vehicle, 98 Ford Explorer XLS. When off and again from outside of the car made a puttering/thumping sort of noise. Turned out to be coolant "settling" as the system depressurized. The difference with this scenario is the frequency of noise changed from a initial quick puttering/thumping and gradually slowed as things settled.

Neither of these noises could heard from the cabin.
Old 06-25-14, 07:24 AM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by Capitone
Somewhat new to the workings of this car myself so take what Im about throw out there with a grain of salt. I have 2 scenarios that sound similiar to what you describe.

1. Had a 98 altima who's fans would switch on even when the car was off. There was a maple leaf lodged in the radiator so you could hear a "pattering" type noise if the fan kicked on and you were outside of the car. Can't say I've noticed my GS doing this before.

2. Another vehicle, 98 Ford Explorer XLS. When off and again from outside of the car made a puttering/thumping sort of noise. Turned out to be coolant "settling" as the system depressurized. The difference with this scenario is the frequency of noise changed from a initial quick puttering/thumping and gradually slowed as things settled.

Neither of these noises could heard from the cabin.
yeah i couldn't hear it from inside the car, nor outside the car on the drivers side. only from about the passenger side headlight to mid passenger door. it wasn't a quick pattering noise, kinda mid tempo- not fast but not super slow either. maybe one tap per second and the frequency didn't seem to change.
It was immediately after i turned the car off, so maybe it's some sort of something settling down or cooling?
Thank you for the input i'll have to do a more thorough look under the hood and car when i get off work.
Old 06-25-14, 07:38 AM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Interesting. Your very welcome!

I'll make a note to check that vicinity of the vehicle next time I drive. This may turn out to be quite normal.
Old 06-25-14, 07:42 AM
littlebird
Driver

Interesting. Your very welcome!

I'll make a note to check that vicinity of the vehicle next time I drive. This may turn out to be quite normal.
Could be, i mean it is an '01 with 341,460+ miles on it. haha I'm hoping it's just some sort of one time thing

but even my boyfriend, who works Toyota/Lexus engine swaps, and has worked on cars his entire life hasn't ever heard that noise before. so i don't know
Old 06-25-14, 08:12 AM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Nice! Thats 4k shy of what I had on my maxima. Great sign of longevity. V6/V8?

Im not a mechanic, but I've definately never been shy around cars in general. That said, I owned and worked on that explorer going on 4 or so years and only noticed that thumping noise towards the end of last summer...sitting next to it, having a beer. Like what your hearing, you really had to be in proximity of where it was to hear it. Hopefully thats the case here.

I'll try and remember to check next time I drive and report back.
Old 06-25-14, 08:22 AM
littlebird
Driver

she's got her stock 2jzge inline 6

once the motor kicks the bucket, or rather once i have the funds to do so and my cosmetic work is finished on the car, we're throwing a 2jzgte into her. but that's still debatable. i kinda want to see how high i can get the mileage before it kicks the bucket
Old 06-25-14, 08:31 AM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Do it!...I so wish I had the opportunity to do so with my Maxima. She was 346k strong and showed no signs of going anywhere before i lost her. I think she'd of broke 400k easy.
Old 06-25-14, 08:35 AM
littlebird
Driver

Do it!...I so wish I had the opportunity to do so with my Maxima. She was 346k strong and showed no signs of going anywhere before i lost her. I think she'd of broke 400k easy.
what happened to her? :/

yeah i definitely want to swap i out eventually to keep it as nice under the hood as i plan to do inside the car and outside of it. She's a work in progress but just being a female with a 2JZGTE swapped GS300 that's (soon going to be) VIP styled? you don't see that all too often. I'm excited for it, which is why i'm hoping this noise is just something minor so i can keep saving up for the progress.
Old 06-25-14, 08:55 AM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Long jacked up story, but in a word....Divorce! lol. Ah well

Sweet. Again, I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-25-14, 09:02 AM
littlebird
Driver

god women are so vindictive. then again if me and my SO spit, i'm taking the GS- but that's because i paid cash for her - my own money. he can keep his two cars. (if that's what you meant by divorce. if you meant divorce as in a figurative divorce with the car, been there done that, too hahaha)

but thanks!
Old 06-25-14, 10:32 AM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

No, your right, I meant the good old fashioned american divorce. You know where whomever makes the most money usually gets shafted. Lots of fun....but I digress.

Returning from lunch, turned the car off, got out and immediately walked to the area between the passenger side door/headlight and listened. There is a fairly slow, systematic...I dunno, Im at a lost for words describing the sound so bare with me here, but metalic ping comes to mind. It's very low. If your not listening for it, you might not pick it up and any sort of background noise will completely drown it out. Thats how low it was. It really just reminds me of what most hot engines sound like after being shut off. Think it has something to do with the metal contracting as it cools. I could not hear it on the drivers side, but its possible that it was making the same sound right after shut down and cooled off by the time I got to it.

All this to say....if this is indeed your noise, I don't think its abnormal. Just sounds like the engine cooling down. Im inclined to think it's different though if your boyfriend's checked it out and did not draw the same conclusion.

Oh yea...one last detail that may or may not change things, but it should be noted that Im a V8.
Old 06-25-14, 10:50 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by littlebird
god women are so vindictive. then again if me and my SO spit, i'm taking the GS- but that's because i paid cash for her - my own money. he can keep his two cars. (if that's what you meant by divorce. if you meant divorce as in a figurative divorce with the car, been there done that, too hahaha)

but thanks!
He'll put in the settlement that u have to at least keep his drivers side memory buttons! Lol ha ha j/k
Is it more like a faint tapping noise?
Old 06-26-14, 12:04 PM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
He'll put in the settlement that u have to at least keep his drivers side memory buttons! Lol ha ha j/k
Is it more like a faint tapping noise?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh my god, you remembered that?!? knowing him he probably would xD share custody of our son and the car memory settings. (which, btw i finally got mine working again!)

it's more like.. a fluttering tap. my first thought was that there was a bird fluttering in there somewhere. but the car stopped making that noise and now it's making a different one- one that can be heard in the cabin when the car is running. but i don't think i can attach an audio file in here, can i? or does it have to be a video?
Old 06-26-14, 12:10 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by littlebird
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh my god, you remembered that?!? knowing him he probably would xD share custody of our son and the car memory settings. (which, btw i finally got mine working again!)

it's more like.. a fluttering tap. my first thought was that there was a bird fluttering in there somewhere. but the car stopped making that noise and now it's making a different one- one that can be heard in the cabin when the car is running. but i don't think i can attach an audio file in here, can i? or does it have to be a video?
Did u open the glove box and there is a plastic cover that pops off and that's where your cabin air filter is, u might have something stuck in there u would be surprised what gets in there! OR if u got a sound like a lil mouse in one of the vents, then that's your servo motor acting up...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pattering noise?