GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cross-Section of GS Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 09:10 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sewell
Yes, I've heard this many times before. I too like USPS...but not when a package doesn't get delivered. It's quite the undertaking to research and discover who, when and where a package was delivered. Whatever the case, it's still on the forefront for integrating their shipping options to our shopping cart.

I appreciate all the business!
Darrel
truthfully i hate USPS but they def are cheaper. its all good though. did u recently change your name darell? thought you'll used to be lexus-parts or something like that?
Old 08-17-10, 10:56 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
truthfully i hate USPS but they def are cheaper. its all good though. did u recently change your name darell? thought you'll used to be lexus-parts or something like that?
Yes, we changed from the generic lexus-parts to Sewell. Our old URL was that, but it's been sewell for some time now, so I asked the guys at CL to make the change. But as far as my name, I've always had 2 R's and 1 L in my name.

Darrel
Old 08-17-10, 01:27 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sewell
Yes, we changed from the generic lexus-parts to Sewell. Our old URL was that, but it's been sewell for some time now, so I asked the guys at CL to make the change. But as far as my name, I've always had 2 R's and 1 L in my name.

Darrel
OOPS my bad bout your name....

yeah i just noticed the change on here. your on my friends list so i can easily find you when i need something so i guess i just never noticed it...
Old 12-24-10, 04:55 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

thanks to Daniel AKA LuxuryGS3 for providing the missing pic to me of the step i missed when i did mine (i did it by myself and had spilled gas so i set the camera down for this step)...so the DIY in post # 56 should now be complete. thanks again
Old 12-24-10, 06:20 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny Brian, you say confirmed, but either our weather is bad, or I've had a heavier foot, or I've been running the heater (ac comes on with it automatically) more, so maybe those are all taking negative hits to it. This fillup though seems alot worse. It's halfway between the 3/4 and 1/2 mark and only at 125 miles......that's garbage imo. True test will be though, as long as I don't get sick, from Jax to Monticello(GA). Last time I got 25.6MPG out of it, if I get less this time, then I can't say changing the fuel filter helped.
Old 12-27-10, 07:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Funny Brian, you say confirmed, but either our weather is bad, or I've had a heavier foot, or I've been running the heater (ac comes on with it automatically) more, so maybe those are all taking negative hits to it. This fillup though seems alot worse. It's halfway between the 3/4 and 1/2 mark and only at 125 miles......that's garbage imo. True test will be though, as long as I don't get sick, from Jax to Monticello(GA). Last time I got 25.6MPG out of it, if I get less this time, then I can't say changing the fuel filter helped.
is this your first fill up since doing it? i noticed after 2-3 i saw a difference and maybe like one of our mutual friends (cough cough Parker hehehe calling you out sir) you didnt put yours back together correctly....and this is why your getting bad mileage? who knows....report back your findings after your trip.

i say confirmed cause im not the only one saying it works...if i was the only one then i wouldnt say that but out of 10-15 people who have said they did it your the only one not seeing a improvement?

lots of peoples positive reviews in here also

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-at-100k.html
Old 12-27-10, 07:44 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Hey now, I put mine back together correctly...just missed a lil' rubber spacer.
Old 12-27-10, 07:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Hey now, I put mine back together correctly...just missed a lil' rubber spacer.
i know, i was just teasing you about this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...fuel-pump.html
Old 12-27-10, 08:06 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Blah...our assembly is slightly different than yours.
Old 12-27-10, 08:22 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Blah...our assembly is slightly different than yours.
i know, just breaking *****...
Old 02-08-11, 10:18 AM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like i have another project this weekend..
Old 02-08-11, 12:41 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the interesting post. That's what, over 8,000 gallons or $25,000 worth of fuel that would have likely passed through that filter.
Old 02-09-11, 12:36 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I just did this today.

1998 Lexus GS300, 90,000miles. Have only used top tier fuel (chevron/shell) from high volume stations for the lifespan. half-bottle/dose Redline Fuel Injector additive once/year prior to oil change.

The bag looked pretty much clean except for a few grains of grit and some stain. Did not hack up the filter and have not driven to be able to tell if a difference has been made.

The peek into the gas tank also looked perfectly clean too, despite the urban legend saying keep your tank full otherwise you'll be picking up crud from the bottom of your tank and clog your fuel pump..

I do have to say I did run into some trouble in having to do some different order of things in the disassembly as compared to Sakataj's post, probably due to model differences.
In particular having to take the bag and fuel regulator off first before the pump can be removed from the support housing. And I also forgot to put in the filter cushions (bumpers) during reassembly, so had to do the procedure twice.

While the images in his DIY are very nice and appreciated, I recommend DIYers to also review and read the disassembly and reassembly steps in the service manual:
From the DIY sticky: http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html
look under fuel pump with a sublink to fuel pressure regulator.

Now that I've gone through it and made mistakes, I see that the service manual has the right steps and order. The only deviation I notices is there is a plastic piece that is not listed in the service diagram. It is discussed in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post5720062

However, after playing and thinking about it, I do believe the following image from that thread is correct.
http://home.comcast.net/~nosferatu2xlc/IMG_0229.JPG

Installing the o-ring onto the fuel port (not just on top) is what's mentioned in the service manual, then add on the plastic piece. In this configuration, the o-ring creates a snug fit between the filter tube and the suction plate tube with compression on the exterior and and interior circumferences of the ring (which is how most o-rings seal), and holds together just from that the compression of the tubes themselves.

The other way that Och mentioned where you just drop the oring in, and is compressed from the housing on it's top and bottom seems more suitable for a rubber washer/gasket which has has a flat top and bottom and expects to be compressed along those surfaces.
With a ring it may work enough so the car runs, but this counts on the ring circle lining up exactly with the fuel port circle and that the compression from the housing stays constant. Even during reassembly in this fashion, it doesn't stay together until you get the snaps done.

Last edited by raytseng; 02-09-11 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 06:13 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ I wish that workshop manual you posted worked for Mac.
Old 02-09-11, 08:30 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
^^^ I wish that workshop manual you posted worked for Mac.
Not my link, it's from the diy sticky. There's a couple alternative manuals in the sticky too.
Even on pc it only works with very specific browsers, specifically IE. So you might get it too work just by trying more browsers

Quick Reply: Cross-Section of GS Fuel Filter