GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help please rough idle with hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 07:37 AM
Trouble-T
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Solved Hopefully!!!

Okay so I took the car to Toyota today for the third time and the cel was flashing on and off and the car was misfiring bad. The tech said he checked the injector pulse on cylinder 1 because the code still was cylinder 1 misfire and found that the injector was not working at times. So he stated that there was a loose pin connection and that may have been the cause of the misfire. The car feels like I have 100% of the power back. So all I can do now is drive it and hope that it doesnt start acting up.
Old 03-09-10, 12:57 PM
SirBev
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope that all goes well from here on out.
Old 05-13-15, 05:26 AM
treflip
Driver School Candidate

Default Sounds a lot like my problem

Was rotating tires and jack kinda dropped quickly... thinking this is my same problem - 2000 Lexus es300. No problems before hand, now hesitation on starting out. Will post back if this is the solution to mine as well.
Old 10-07-15, 12:05 PM
bdazzler
Rookie

Default Air Filter?

I'm running into this issue as well for an older LS400 (1994). I've changed the ECU about a year ago so it better not be that. I just cleaned the K&N air filter, it was FILTHY! I don't think it was that long ago I cleaned it but maybe it was over 6 months. Tons of bugs in it, K&N oil that you spray after cleaning really traps a lot of stuff. Switch to a K&N filter, you'll send up saving money cause it can be cleaned and oiled and used over and over as opposed to a paper filter plus you *do* get a little bit better MPG performance.

So hopefully that solves my issue. I'm going to change the fuel filter next week as well. I already tried Sea Foam because when this first happened I thought for sure it was water or something in the gas.

Last edited by bdazzler; 10-07-15 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 07:01 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sea foam is worthless, stop wasting your money. And K&N filters are only as good as their users. Your better off buying cheap paper filters and changing them frequently. JMHO
Old 10-09-15, 10:40 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bdazzler
Switch to a K&N filter, you'll send up saving money cause it can be cleaned and oiled and used over and over as opposed to a paper filter plus you *do* get a little bit better MPG performance.
You will also get more dirt in your engine and the MPG won't change one bit.

SeaFoam has oil in it and is not good for O2 sensors.

Edit: Jeez...this is a 5 year old thread!
Old 10-21-15, 01:35 PM
bdazzler
Rookie

Originally Posted by treflip
Was rotating tires and jack kinda dropped quickly... thinking this is my same problem - 2000 Lexus es300. No problems before hand, now hesitation on starting out. Will post back if this is the solution to mine as well.
Did you ever get your car's issues sorted out, Treflip? I cleaned the throttle body on my vehicle and it seemed to have helped with rough idling but the next step is going to be changing the two coils. Here's info on cleaning the throttle body although this is probably different for your vehicle: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/throttlebody.html
Old 06-19-16, 02:37 AM
treflip
Driver School Candidate

Default Rough idle fixed

Sorry for the late response @bdazzler, always meant to get back to this post for those that reading through it looking for resolution.

I was able to tix that problem ( and a few others since then), it turns out somewhere down the line the connector to the vvt sensor had gotten broken and when the jack fell I think it shook it off. I ended up replacing both sensors though just in case ( and it wasn't a bad idea being 15 years old) and noticed the sensor then.

Pretty sure itt was just the connector for sensor in bank2(outward) but I did replace the sensors too so that may have played a part as well.

Since then I have fixed an 0171 - Maf sensor issue and an 0330 - knock sensor code and after the Maf the code was removed (Maf had particles stuck to it) the car started running better ( was hearing a small rattle after acceleration in the front right area). So I suggest starting at your first code and working your way through it.

Still have a couple issues to get through ( lamp sensor fault indicator, intermittent BRAKE lamp) but the Lexus Is running like a champ now and I don't mind keeping her purring, so I'll be keeping it for awhile still.
Old 06-21-16, 08:42 AM
bdazzler
Rookie

Thanks for getting back, which a lot of people don't do. It really helps those of us who might have similar issues.

Glad to hear your car is running well!