GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Possible Leak

Old 01-25-12, 08:33 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
hmm i dunno then...do his windows say toyota or lexus? my front DEF doesnt even say toyota BUT all my sides and my sunroof DO say lexus on them

yeah find out john....

its odd though,some of us have fixed this with a new windshield and some have fixed it with dynamatting the doors...but MOST of us have aftermarket windshields and not the toyota or lexus windshield
Yep, all the windows including the moonroof says Lexus.
Old 01-26-12, 04:08 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Yep, all the windows including the moonroof says Lexus.
On 01+, yes. 98-00 say Toyota.
Old 01-26-12, 04:28 AM
HtownGS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just skimmed through the thread quickly. I have never had this problem in my 98 GS. If yall still are having issues I would gladly help out with the search. I enjoy stuff like this. If yall already located the source, what was it?
Old 01-26-12, 05:50 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

funny you mentioned this.

i brought the thread back from the dead as my car started doing this again after a heavy rainfall.

this time, reseting the ecu hasnt fixed anything.

i had one of my tech's look at my car quickly as he was a former toyota tech. he brought out a wiring diagram.

this is what i got out of it so far.

the vehicle has 4 door ECU's, and 2 body ECU's.

the door ECU's sit in the doors themselves behind the interior panel. when you remove the door panel, they are a little black box, and at least for the fronts, had 3 wiring harness plugs going into them.

the body ECU's sit in the kick panels, behind and above the fuse box area. i have yet to try to get at them.

either way, car is in the garage, drying out, and neg terminal off, trying to reset for the 4th time to see if it fixes while airing our the interior of the car.

my windshield is OE, has been replaced from the previous owner.
and i do have aftermarket car audio, with my battery wire going thru the huge wire gromment in the firewall on the passenger side.
Old 01-26-12, 01:41 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
my windshield is OE, has been replaced from the previous owner.
i would swear this is your issue but since dynamatting my doors i havent ever had this issue again so i would think the drivers door ecu is getting water in it....
Old 01-26-12, 01:48 PM
epic1si
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's probably something to do with your windshield being replaced and not sealed or seated properly. this has happened to me once as well and hasn't happened since. After a hard rain it happened and the next day just went back to normal.

i noticed in my windshield on the lower driver side some moisture built up on the inside so i know it's leaking somewhere but it hasn't happened since so i'm not sure.
Old 01-26-12, 01:49 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Friend of mine had a 99 SLS Cadillac that the drivers window got stuck down (broken mechanism?) and he got in and supported it up with a pair of vice grips, but it didn't hold up perfectly and it leaked water in the door into the door module and being it is all on the vehicle bus, it wreaked havok with the rest of the car. Ultimately leading to no dash lights, no interior lights and eventually a no start. Removed the module and it got better. Module was very corroded inside after time...
Old 01-26-12, 02:10 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That is exactly what his used to do, after a rain it would get messed up for a day or so, but then one day, it didn't get better. And much of it started while he was driving, which wasn't cool at all....

Originally Posted by epic1si
it's probably something to do with your windshield being replaced and not sealed or seated properly. this has happened to me once as well and hasn't happened since. After a hard rain it happened and the next day just went back to normal.

i noticed in my windshield on the lower driver side some moisture built up on the inside so i know it's leaking somewhere but it hasn't happened since so i'm not sure.
Old 01-26-12, 02:58 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

i looked into the history on the vehicle, the front windshield was replaced, confirmed, its an OE glass that was used.

door windows look like original oem, i took out the door panels on the inside, and they seem, and feel dry.

but i think thru all the research, i have found a solution to another question, how to convert the climate control from F to C, or vice versa. the body control module (passenger side) comes in 2 part #'s, one is listed for canadian model, one is listed for US model.

Originally Posted by sakataj
i would swear this is your issue but since dynamatting my doors i havent ever had this issue again so i would think the drivers door ecu is getting water in it....
Old 01-27-12, 09:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i looked into the history on the vehicle, the front windshield was replaced, confirmed, its an OE glass that was used.

door windows look like original oem, i took out the door panels on the inside, and they seem, and feel dry.

but i think thru all the research, i have found a solution to another question, how to convert the climate control from F to C, or vice versa. the body control module (passenger side) comes in 2 part #'s, one is listed for canadian model, one is listed for US model.
yeah but just cause OE glass was used doesnt mean it was sealed correctly. i think if i ever to replace my windshield i will insist on OEM glass. see im kind of stumped by this, i havent has this issue since i dynamtted my doors but i didnt do any on the floor so if it was the windshield, dynamatting the doors shoulnt have changed it ONLY thing done to the floor was the insurance got me some BNIB OEM black carpet after that incident of running over something and puncturing my undercarriage

interesting well that makes sense about the BCM.....plus you may have finally found a resolve to the C/F ordeal

did you check this time to see if the carpet or area by the BCM was wet when yours stopped working since you did check behind the door panels? i hope you have a heated garage otherwise i dunno if this will dry out in canada atm. Last time mine did this it was snowing/icing here and i had to pull it into my warehouse at work and let the hanging heaters unthaw it and dry it out

Last edited by sakataj; 01-27-12 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-27-12, 06:12 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

so update:

- i removed and rolled back the carpet, its dry as a bone, i cant get at the BCM on the passenger side as the dashboard/glove box is in the way. the only thing there on the kick panel is a rectangular module, but i swear thats the stock amp.

ive been running flood lights and a small heater fan with the windows rolled down to dry out the air and everything inside the car. i tested the car last night, still was faulting, i did not reset the ECU. this morning, before leaving for work, i opened the door to see my foot well lights turned on.

i just checked and my door locks are working again. i have yet to start the car as everything is apart at the moment. ill give it another day or so,

either way, i may end up just replacing the passenger side BCM,
Old 01-30-12, 02:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so update:

- i removed and rolled back the carpet, its dry as a bone, i cant get at the BCM on the passenger side as the dashboard/glove box is in the way. the only thing there on the kick panel is a rectangular module, but i swear thats the stock amp.

ive been running flood lights and a small heater fan with the windows rolled down to dry out the air and everything inside the car. i tested the car last night, still was faulting, i did not reset the ECU. this morning, before leaving for work, i opened the door to see my foot well lights turned on.

i just checked and my door locks are working again. i have yet to start the car as everything is apart at the moment. ill give it another day or so,

so why replace this if you dont know thats it?
Old 07-27-12, 07:06 AM
prestige38
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car leaks whenever it rains real hard from the ceiling right where the console light is, and if it rains too hard it start leaking from the forward side panel that goes from the ceiling to the dashboard. I was told that maybe the drains are clogged. Does anyone know whats the best way to clear the drains. I was told that its not a good idea to put a wire down there, because it might disconnect the drain line and thats another problem.
Old 01-22-13, 08:26 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so update:

Sorry for the old bump - just came across a similar issue last night:
- key fob wasn't working
- door lock buttons wouldn't work on either side.
- I could control the window for each door, but my driver side console would not control the other windows.

It's been foggy here past few days - no rain. But, I did wash my car the day before it happened (I did not drive it again til the next day.) I don't use a pressure washer though. In fact, I use a regular hose with a spray nozzle set to a softer "shower" setting. Possibly dripping onto one of my door ECMs.

The next day (today), I tried again, and everything is working again.

I have OEM windshield. It's 10 years old, has the Lexus logo, and it friggin looks like it's seen 10 years of road When the sun hits it, my car interior lights up like a kaleidoscope from all the light refracting off the tiny pits in the glass.

SorrGwa, I see you're local to me - did you find something that resolved your issue definitively?