GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Noise From Heat Shield On Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 12:44 AM
uneek78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise From Heat Shield On Catalytic Converter

When I drive my car makes these EXTREMELY embarrassing noises that come from the heat shield not being properly secured to the catalytic converter. In the past I was advised to have it welded. Which I have done, but it has since become loose again. Toyota did not advise removing it because they were saying that they could possibly damage the catalytic converter in the process. The only option the Lexus dealership offered was to replace the whole exhaust system for over $2000. Any other advice?
Old 02-05-10, 12:46 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Try finding a hose clamp that will fit around it and buy two of them and get them on there real nice and tight.
Old 02-05-10, 05:28 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How long ago did you have it "repaired" the first time? If it wasn't that long ago, take it back there and they might surprise you and try again for nothing.
Old 02-05-10, 08:32 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same problem. there are two for sure solutions that will cost you less than $200:
Option 1: get a big intake hose clamp. the ones that you can use for intake hose i'm not sure of the correct names and some heat resistant rubber tubing. place the clamp loosely around the heat shield then insert like two or three pieces of the rubber then tighten down. This is what I did to stop the rattling over 6 months ago and I havent heard it since
Option 2: get on Ebay or any popular car parts site (this includes Club Lexus) and purchase a Megan Racing DownPipe. you may need an O2 defouler for proper fitment under the car but this pipe doesnt have a heat-shield on it and you get a performance gain from it too. I plan on installing this next week. I have the pipe sitting in my room.

SCREW THE STEALERSHIP!!! lol GL!
Old 02-05-10, 08:49 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

figs....aka mike makes a heatshield for you gs300 guys

check here....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eatshield.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ld-for-gs.html

Last edited by sakataj; 02-05-10 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-05-10, 09:18 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
figs....aka mike makes a heatshield for you gs300 guys

check here....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eatshield.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ld-for-gs.html
Brian, I'm pretty sure he's talking bout the heat-shield under the car not under the hood? LOL
Old 02-05-10, 10:22 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BP_VVt-i
Brian, I'm pretty sure he's talking bout the heat-shield under the car not under the hood? LOL
oops....just noticed he said catalytic convertor. you right
Old 02-05-10, 04:37 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by uneek78
When I drive my car makes these EXTREMELY embarrassing noises that come from the heat shield not being properly secured to the catalytic converter. In the past I was advised to have it welded. Which I have done, but it has since become loose again. Toyota did not advise removing it because they were saying that they could possibly damage the catalytic converter in the process. The only option the Lexus dealership offered was to replace the whole exhaust system for over $2000. Any other advice?
if you've got an angle grinder or a dremel, cut it off. i did it last summer and i can't tell if there's any damage.
Old 02-05-10, 05:11 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's probably one of the most ridiculous things I have heard, but then again, it is coming from the stealership. There is absolutely no need to replace the entire exhaust system b/c of a heat shield rattle. Either rip off the old rusted clamps and put new ones on,or have it rewelded, or just take off the heat shield. Personally, I had a local muffler place rip it off. There's some threads on it, search "heat shield"
Old 02-05-10, 06:37 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

just CUT it off and have a nice day
Old 03-14-10, 02:17 PM
flygirl62
Driver School Candidate

Do you think this might also be happening in my '06 SC430? I'm getting this higher pitched rattling noise, sounds like sheet metal maybe.

It's only at highway speeds, seems to get worse or better with any wind buffeting/wind noise I hear from crosswinds, etc. I checked under the car and the plastic panels underneath are tight, those don't seem to be the problem.

It's getting worse fairly quickly, first noticed it yesterday on a freeway trip, by the time I got home it was constant. Thanks!
Old 08-12-10, 12:01 PM
uneek78
Driver School Candidate

Any advice on what tools to use if I were going to rip it off myself? Or would I be better off letting a muffler shop do this? I'm not mechanically educated, but I can follow directions.
Old 08-12-10, 12:37 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same problem. I ended up cutting off the shield. Then a week later i bought the obx headers and mid-pipe and replaced it anyway.
Old 08-12-10, 01:08 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Any advice on what tools to use if I were going to rip it off myself? Or would I be better off letting a muffler shop do this? I'm not mechanically educated, but I can follow directions.
tin cutters work well if you dont have a electric saw/dremel. the bolts around my heatshield were rusted in layers so i had to cut away at it. only part you really have to cut are the areas near the bolts if you have the same problem as i did. wear a face mask when youre down there, the shield is packed with some insulation that gets all up in your nose and eyes.
Old 08-12-10, 01:51 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

there is only one solution and its free. mine use to do this actually all 3 of my GS's used to do this same with the hood latch cable and the drivers door bottom molding.

i put up with it for a year then i put the car on jackstands and cut the heat sheild off 2 years ago i havent had any problems since. to get to the ones on the header is going to be a little touch but it can be done.

oh yea to cut around the ruste bolts i used metal shears from home depot and they worked perfect. the rest of the shield is over lapped top to bottom and just take a screwdriver to it and unflap the edges. you will see what i mean when you get under there. Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: Noise From Heat Shield On Catalytic Converter