GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ran out of Gas! Twice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 10:17 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lostinthew
Thanks everyone. As I said, I now fill the tank as soon as the light comes on (or sooner) to avoid the problems you all have mentioned. I'm just curious as to why the sudden change in gauge reading. Other than clogged injectors (how would I know?) the other items are all good.

Thanks again.
well...injectors have no bearing on your gauge reading. Let's be honest, the cars not exactly new...the floater could be beginning to break.
Old 01-16-10, 10:27 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i used to wait till "E" as well, but as soon as that oil light comes on, i race over to my nearest Mobil gas station. fill her up, shes happy, and im happy i dont need to call AAA for emergency gas on the freeway or somewhere i'm not familiar with. but filling at the halfway point seems kind of redundant to me. theres still maybe 100 or so miles before even needing to fill up. a lot of my friends and even my parents fill up once it crosses halfway, but for some reason i just dont feel the need until it gets to about 1/4 tank. but, as other members have stated already, bad idea to drive below that mark- thats just asking for fuel pump problems down the line.
Old 01-16-10, 10:35 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
well...injectors have no bearing on your gauge reading. Let's be honest, the cars not exactly new...the floater could be beginning to break.
we were saying the injectors affect his mileage...how he used to get more mpg so he'd wait. Clogged injectors will have bearing on your mileage, so you would get less miles on a full tank.

You can poor a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner on your next fillup.
Old 01-16-10, 10:41 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fill mine at half lol learn my lesson ;\
Old 01-16-10, 11:22 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
i used to wait till "E" as well, but as soon as that oil light comes on, i race over to my nearest Mobil gas station. fill her up, shes happy, and im happy i dont need to call AAA for emergency gas on the freeway or somewhere i'm not familiar with. but filling at the halfway point seems kind of redundant to me. theres still maybe 100 or so miles before even needing to fill up. a lot of my friends and even my parents fill up once it crosses halfway, but for some reason i just dont feel the need until it gets to about 1/4 tank. but, as other members have stated already, bad idea to drive below that mark- thats just asking for fuel pump problems down the line.
Well, people who fill up at the point of "E" also are being "redundant" lol.

The point should be made not to wait until it's running on empty and the light shows up. Half a tank left, or 1/4 mark should be fine or somewhere in between. The goal is to not run out of gas so your stuck looking like a fool waiting for AAA or walking to the nearest pump, and not to mess up the fuel pump

I just saw on the highway recently, a girl with a hummer on the side of the road with a gas container trying to pour gas in her gas guzzler. I thought that was pretty funny, but sad at the same time.
Old 01-17-10, 06:30 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny you started this post, this has happend to me a few time, so as i mentioned before i keep gas in there
today im driving and it stops, no GAS light not too low either , so i coast into a Tire shop, told him i was outta gas, i asked him to jack my car up from the rear, he looked at me crazy, well it worked, she started right up and made it to the nearest station? WHAT GIVES CL ? what should i do?
Old 01-17-10, 09:26 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lostinthew
SO my 98 GS300 with 125k on it is so predictable and consistent - it's one thing I don't worry about. My mileage has been extremely steady - the light comes on at 275 miles and I typically buy gas at 325 miles, with the gauge slightly below "E."

In December the light came on a little early but I paid it no mind. Then, with the fuel gauge at "E" the car died - at 300 miles. At first I could not believe I had run out of gas - I never have. I thought it was a quirk. Two weeks later I am driving and with the gauge slightly above "E" the car died again! Also at 300 miles!

Since then I have been buying gas earlier to avoid the problem. Everything seems normal but this. My mileage is slightly down, but it always goes down in the winter. What d'ya think might be going on??

Thanks!
Holy $h!t 15 MPG thats really bad for a 3L sedan i get 20
Old 01-17-10, 10:37 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's why i fill mine up when it's halfway
Old 01-18-10, 09:19 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VipDout
I fill mine at half lol learn my lesson ;\
What was that Issue James?
Bad FP?
Old 04-03-16, 03:12 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Would like to know myself.
GS400 just picked it up in Minnesota...good records service history etc...

Just died on the way back to Chicago...waiting on AAA...it's been almost 3 hours...tank is showing 1/2

Would love to get this sorted out ASAP
Old 04-06-16, 01:20 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Would like to know myself.
GS400 just picked it up in Minnesota...good records service history etc...

Just died on the way back to Chicago...waiting on AAA...it's been almost 3 hours...tank is showing 1/2

Would love to get this sorted out ASAP
Why are you posting to all these old threads?
Old 04-06-16, 03:33 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceb58
Why are you posting to all these old threads?
I don't know...perhaps I anticipated your trolling of my posts I couldn't help myself
Old 04-07-16, 07:00 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99
I don't know...perhaps I anticipated your trolling of my posts I couldn't help myself
tiguy99,

Check your email and the other thread. I put pictures and a little details what may be is your issue problem.
Old 04-07-16, 07:05 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...uidance-2.html
Old 04-08-16, 07:14 PM
kdl001
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the fuel pump. Our cars fuel tanks have two sides to them and the part of the fuel pump that pulls from the other side has probably gone out. Search the fuel pump threads and you several that give excellent detail and pics about this issue.

Quick Reply: Ran out of Gas! Twice!