GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Timing Belt - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 07:52 PM
rmehuron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt - PLEASE HELP!

I was in the middle of completing the timing belt service on my 99 gs300 - had the old belt off and all the timing marks lined up when I turned around and a buddy of mine was turning the cam gear! I dont know how many times he turned it, but it is no doubt out of sync. I know that for every two rotations of the crank it equates to 1 rotation of the cams, but how do I check to the cams are at TDC when the crank is? Is there a way to visually check the valves when the crank is positioned at TDC to be sure they are on the correct timing? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-09-10, 09:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As long as the marks line up, it doesn't matter how many times he turned. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, your engine is an interference engine, and if he turned cam gear independently of the crank, your valves are bent.
Old 01-10-10, 08:06 AM
rmehuron
Driver School Candidate

he turned it by hand so I very much doubt that he would bent any valves. He said he didnt feel any thing bottom out. The reason why I am concerned is I was reading about compression and exhaust stroke and how it must be in sync with the crank - maybe this only applies to v8's? As long as the marks line up after two crank cycles it should be okay, right? Im worried about being 180deg off on the crank-cam timing.

Thanks
Old 01-10-10, 08:11 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sprocket is turning but the cam is not turn haha you are good BrO.
Just make sure everything is line up and install the new belt back on.
Yes after 2 crank cycles if it's lines up your are good.
Old 01-10-10, 08:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rmehuron
he turned it by hand so I very much doubt that he would bent any valves. He said he didnt feel any thing bottom out. The reason why I am concerned is I was reading about compression and exhaust stroke and how it must be in sync with the crank - maybe this only applies to v8's? As long as the marks line up after two crank cycles it should be okay, right? Im worried about being 180deg off on the crank-cam timing.

Thanks
When I was doing my timing belt job for the first time, on a V8, this exact thing had me confused as well. Here's a quote of my old post and the guy that clarified it for me.

Originally Posted by och
So, I'm in the middle of a timing belt/water pump replacement, and I think I've messed up. I got to the point where I aligned the cam pulleys and crankshafter pulley, and removed the timing belt. And now it's time to remove the damn crankshaft pulley bolt, which I can't seem to get. But that's not the main problem, the problem is that while I've been trying to get it off, I turned the crank full 360 several times, and then I realized something - even if I align it with the 0 mark again, it may not necessary be aligned with cams, since it only aligns every other turn. How can I determine if the alignment is correct?

Originally Posted by cribbj
If you mean your problem about having turned the crank several times without moving the cams, don't worry about it.

If you line up the notch on the timing belt drive pulley, with the dot on the oil pump housing, then you're fine, as long as the marks on the cam drive sprockets are lined up with the corresponding fixed marks on the brackets behind them.

Think about it, if #1 cylinder is at TDC, the piston/rod/crankshaft doesn't know if it's TDC on the compression stroke or exhaust stroke. It's the position of the valves that determine that. So as long as you keep the cam sprockets lined up on their marks, you can turn the crank 360 degrees, 720 degrees, etc. and it's OK. Just make sure when you're finished, that you line up that notch with the dot on the oil pump. See the photo below for what I'm talking about.
In a word, as long as the marks align, you're good. But double check to make sure the engine isnt interference.
Old 01-10-10, 08:59 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

GS300 engine is interference.

Here are some videos I made to do a timing belt job on a 2JZ. The video has a 2JZ-GTE VVTi, but the timing belt alignment procedure is the same. I never finished making the videos but I think I explained how to do timing on a 2JZ VVTi motor in one of these vids.

Servicing a 2JZ
Part 1: YouTube - Jeff's Garage: Servicing a 2JZ Part 1
Part 2: YouTube - Jeff's Garage: Servicing a 2JZ Part 2
Part 3: YouTube - Jeff's Garage: Servicing a 2JZ Part 3
Part 4: YouTube - Jeff's Garage: Servicing a 2JZ Part 4
Part 5: YouTube - Jeff's Garage: Servicing a 2JZ Part 5
Old 01-10-10, 09:00 AM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

I just learned something from this post thanks CL
Old 01-10-10, 10:01 AM
rmehuron
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by quickGS300
The sprocket is turning but the cam is not turn haha you are good BrO.
Just make sure everything is line up and install the new belt back on.
Yes after 2 crank cycles if it's lines up your are good.
When did I ever say that the cam wasnt turning??? Of course the cam turns when the sprocket does, I meant that the valves did not come in contact with the pistons, hence no resistance.
Old 01-10-10, 10:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

When did I ever say that the cam wasnt turning??? Of course the cam turns when the sprocket does, I meant that the valves did not come in contact with the pistons, hence no resistance.
Thats just weird, as far as I know the non VVTi version of 2JZ engine is non interference, but it became an interference motor once they added VVTi.

I would do a compression test just in case.
Old 01-10-10, 10:06 AM
rmehuron
Driver School Candidate

Great videos Jeff!
Old 01-10-10, 10:09 AM
rmehuron
Driver School Candidate

Where is the cam sensor located on this thing?
Old 01-10-10, 10:13 AM
jhill20
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which cam did he turn? intake or exhaust? If it was the VVTi cam gear it is going to have some play in it...

Jeff is correct. Very interference engine, but I also agree with you doubt anyone could turn the cam and bend valves by hand. Unless he was doing it with a wrench?.....

Watch Jeff's videos they are pretty comprehensive!

A good test to see if the you've clocked it 180 out or not, would be to line up the marks, install the belt, remove #1 spark plug and turn the motor and make sure that you are building compression every other crank revolution. You should feel air pushing out of the plug hole....
Old 01-10-10, 11:02 AM
rmehuron
Driver School Candidate

No, thankfully he turned it by hand. Unfortunately, it wasnt the VVT-i one so it was turning. He couldnt remember how many times he turned. Lesson - keep drunk friends away from the garage.
Old 01-10-10, 11:10 AM
jhill20
Lead Lap

Lesson - keep drunk friends away from the garage.
Totally! Hope it turns out ok for ya
Old 01-10-10, 11:14 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

you can look at the lobes of the camshaft and compare it to what it should be on the service manual to determine whether you are 180* off or right on the spot.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt - PLEASE HELP!