GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do I replace Gauge cluster lights 01 GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 09:57 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I replace Gauge cluster lights 01 GS300?

The gauge cluster on my car is not very bright. I just replaced the battery thinking a new one would help but it did nothing. I do notice at times it's brighter than others and I can't figure out why. For the most part it's pretty dull compared to what I think it's supposed to look like.

Is there any easy way to replace the bulbs or is this a several hour project?
Old 01-02-10, 11:37 AM
vipjason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's brighter in the day time. that's about it
Old 01-02-10, 03:18 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

No mine literally gets brighter when I've driven it around for like an hour. Much brighter too, but most of the time it's dull.
Old 01-02-10, 05:51 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you live in a cold climate?

the gauges light up via CRTs, cathod ray tubes, or they are miniture skinny fluorescent tubes. so in colder climates, they tend to need a little time to warm up to brighten.
Old 01-02-10, 09:32 PM
LEXTECH126
Driver

as a Lexus tech. there are 8 bulbs that gives that backlight behind the cluster aside from the warning lights like check engine, abs, & so on... to do this job first time could take up to 2hours at the most providing you have all the necessary tools: small pick or pocket srewdriver. #2 phillips screwdriver stubby & long. the whole entireombo cluster needs to come out. becareful when disconnecting plug outlet behind cluster. they are usually tight & often times hard to pull out. this may pull wires out of wire connector. soon as you have everything off. there are about 10 or so phillips screws you need to removed. the bulbs that you will need to replace are sometimes tricky to identify. there are exactly 8 that look all identical. if you are not sure of which one. you can find this info out when you buy the bulbs from your local Lexus dealer. just ask when purchasing if you can get a picture diagram of bulb location. trying to tell you this without picture in fron of you will further confused you. and lastly, when all bulbs are replaced & ready to install. make sure that you have the odometer & tach meter needle setting in correct location... for ie: speedo needle is siiting a zero (0) not the other side sam goes with tach. this will avoid you from removing combo cluster again. to further explain if you are not even more confused. if done incorrectly once you start your vehicle. you will see your speedo needle &/or tach in the other side. meaning you have peg it. another example... rather than idling at 800rpm, you will see your tach peg at 9000 rpm or more. goodluck with the installation.
Old 01-03-10, 12:40 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Seriously a Lexus tech? 2 hours? It should take no more than 10 minutes to remove the gauge cluster out of a 2GS and that's if you're working slow. I can pop it out of there in about 2 minutes flat. Also, if you've worked on the 2GS before, the CFL backlight in the 2GS gauge cluster is non-replaceable. Yes, on some of the other Lexus gauge clusters there are incandescent bulb backlights but the 2GS is a CFL tube.

As for the original poster, since it's a fluorescent light it will take time to warm up in cold weather. Mine is extra dim if I go to drive the car at night and it hasn't been driven all day. Also, another thing with these lights is that their light output drops as they age. Really there's nothing you can do about it other than try to source a replacement CFL tube that's exactly the same dimensions, but that's not an easy task.
Old 01-03-10, 01:37 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

there are quite a few write ups on how to mod the cluster with LED's which also give a much brighter light
Old 01-03-10, 01:57 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
there are quite a few write ups on how to mod the cluster with LED's which also give a much brighter light
Yea someone did a blue LED cluster.. looked pretty good..
Old 01-03-10, 03:01 AM
GQGenuwine
Rookie

Originally Posted by tmf2004
link to it?
Old 01-03-10, 03:16 PM
LEXTECH126
Driver

WOW! JEFFTsai!!!! 2minutes really. more power to you then. very proud of you.

skiz88, there are about 21 bulbs that light up the warning icons & backlight. i had to replace all the bulbs per customer's request since 1/8 of his bulbs were blown causing some dark shades (dim) on his dash. customer rather invest 1 time to have all bulbs replaced & be done w/ it. rather than having to take it apart every time a bulb went out. it is not necessary for you to replace all of them but at least you know there are 21 bulbs. peace out
Old 01-03-10, 06:41 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ohh, im pretty sure the OP was talking about the gauges and not all the warning lights just below the gauges.

the illuminent white guages.
Old 01-03-10, 07:41 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Seriously a Lexus tech? 2 hours? It should take no more than 10 minutes to remove the gauge cluster out of a 2GS and that's if you're working slow. I can pop it out of there in about 2 minutes flat. Also, if you've worked on the 2GS before, the CFL backlight in the 2GS gauge cluster is non-replaceable. Yes, on some of the other Lexus gauge clusters there are incandescent bulb backlights but the 2GS is a CFL tube.

As for the original poster, since it's a fluorescent light it will take time to warm up in cold weather. Mine is extra dim if I go to drive the car at night and it hasn't been driven all day. Also, another thing with these lights is that their light output drops as they age. Really there's nothing you can do about it other than try to source a replacement CFL tube that's exactly the same dimensions, but that's not an easy task.
yeah cluster is easy to get out....i can slip her in and out in bout 2 mins.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
i think it had " hot spots though"

Originally Posted by 98G-RIDE
WOW! JEFFTsai!!!! 2minutes really. more power to you then. very proud of you.

skiz88, there are about 21 bulbs that light up the warning icons & backlight. i had to replace all the bulbs per customer's request since 1/8 of his bulbs were blown causing some dark shades (dim) on his dash. customer rather invest 1 time to have all bulbs replaced & be done w/ it. rather than having to take it apart every time a bulb went out. it is not necessary for you to replace all of them but at least you know there are 21 bulbs. peace out
i just changed mine to LEDS the other day and your correct bout 21 bulbs BTW they are T4 bulbs (i have one out since i have LED tails and didnt wanna see the light out bulb) but your wrong as these provide NO backlighting. are car uses CCFLS and are almost impossible to change the CCFL bulb. lexus tech for whom btw?

Name:  OEMBulbsRemoved.jpg
Views: 6830
Size:  76.8 KB
Name:  ClusterWithLEDS.jpg
Views: 13978
Size:  51.1 KB
Name:  LEDWarningLightsLitUp.jpg
Views: 8945
Size:  49.7 KB

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
ohh, im pretty sure the OP was talking about the gauges and not all the warning lights just below the gauges.

the illuminent white guages.
x2

Last edited by sakataj; 02-19-10 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 07:55 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

Correct I'm only wondering about the backlighting, not the warning lights. Sounds like it's a ccfl that is tough to replace. I do live in a cold climate, so maybe that's part of the issue. But I'm also guessing the bulb just doesn't get as bright as it once did. When it finally light up it looks great but I've only owned the car a few months and only seen it fully lit up once or twice.
Old 01-04-10, 09:02 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, that's the problem with these CCFL tubes. The colder it is out, the dimmer they are. I might be able to source one eventually with a few CCFL manufacturers overseas, but right now it's not on my top to do list.
Old 01-04-10, 02:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by skiz88
Correct I'm only wondering about the backlighting, not the warning lights. Sounds like it's a ccfl that is tough to replace. I do live in a cold climate, so maybe that's part of the issue. But I'm also guessing the bulb just doesn't get as bright as it once did. When it finally light up it looks great but I've only owned the car a few months and only seen it fully lit up once or twice.
yeah i recently searched lexus.com and checked to see any problems my car was in the dealer for and mine was in for issues with it being to dim. i would love to change the CCFL'S but they seem to be rerally hard. there WAS a vendor on here who has tried this now twice and couldnt get it right. i forgot thier name but they do ALOT of replacement needles and leds for the SC community.....last post i recall reading from him he was fixing to have some surgery for some potentially fatal disease or something but i think that was last christmas

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Yeah, that's the problem with these CCFL tubes. The colder it is out, the dimmer they are. I might be able to source one eventually with a few CCFL manufacturers overseas, but right now it's not on my top to do list.
how bout bumping my junkyard stuff up a few spaces? hehe j/k jeff

Quick Reply: How do I replace Gauge cluster lights 01 GS300?