GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do I replace Gauge cluster lights 01 GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 04:51 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And how can this be explained? Today on my drive home from work I paid a bit more attention to the light output or lack there of. It literally changes by the minute. 515pm, dim... 516pm fairly bright looked good, 518pm and rest of ride home dim...
Old 01-06-10, 09:18 AM
Nosferatu2
Driver

i was wondering can you buy replacement bulb from lexus or is it part of Tachometer Assy
Old 01-06-10, 12:33 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skiz88
And how can this be explained? Today on my drive home from work I paid a bit more attention to the light output or lack there of. It literally changes by the minute. 515pm, dim... 516pm fairly bright looked good, 518pm and rest of ride home dim...
It also depends on the light input that the sensor on the dash sees. Like going underneath a bridge, the cluster will dim/brighten depending on the input that the sensor sees. Does that help?

Here's my write-up on how to disassemble your cluster, the guage cluster really takes all of about 5 minutes if your taking your time. It isn't like it just falls out, but 4 phillips screws and 2 electrical connectors and it's out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...requested.html

From what I understand... There isn't a direct replacement bulb and needs the cluster replaced, is what our parts guy said. As far as the LED swap, I heard it was such a process to get it where he liked it, he simply said he wasn't doing anymore so I'm pretty sure it's safe to say LEDs aren't going to be easy, but it can be done. Here is the CCFLs in your ride, as there are two of them that we are dealing with.
Name:  P2290189.jpg
Views: 7333
Size:  79.5 KB
Old 01-06-10, 12:56 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Nice write-up. The cluster lighting has always been one of my peeves with this car. Most of the time it's simply just not bright enough for me especially now during the winter.
Old 01-06-10, 04:00 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I replaced the cathodes on my coworkers 93LS recently and I picked up the parts from a local lexus dealer. I think I will change my gs ones to white leds in the future.
Old 01-07-10, 09:51 AM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
I replaced the cathodes on my coworkers 93LS recently and I picked up the parts from a local lexus dealer. I think I will change my gs ones to white leds in the future.
Yeah, that is a common fix on LS400s because the cluster goes bad, plus the LS4 cluster is an easy one, they all have replaceable bulbs, the GS doesn't. But on the hand the CCFLs usually don't go bad, this is the first I have seen the bulb go out on. I would challenge you to actually follow through with the LEDs to replace the CCFLs, or were you just talking about putting LEDs in for the buttons? LEDs have replaced the CCFLs but (I think it was LexTech) did one and said it was a PITA and wasn't really worth getting it perfect.. I could only imagine how long it would take to do such a project.. with no hot spots getting it perfect.

I think everyone at one point as complained about the dimness of the cluster at one time or another.
Old 01-07-10, 11:19 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

I'm new here so it took this thread for me to realize it's not just my gs300 that has a dim cluster.
Old 01-08-10, 02:00 PM
Nosferatu2
Driver

anyone looked at this

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/***...l=200&year=165

part 83247H
83247E are the CCFLs
Old 01-08-10, 04:14 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Cool find but are any of them the ccfl bulb?
Old 01-08-10, 06:55 PM
3UZFTE

That is a good find, by the looks it appears that it is part numbers 83247E & 83247H, as there is a right and left side. I think you will need to order both of those, but this is where a Toyota/Lexus parts guy will help you with that. Before I just shelled out the bucks to just order new ones, check to make sure your getting voltage to the bulbs. You would hate to just order the bulbs, replace them, and it doesn't fix your problem. Just trying to save you a few bucks is all.
Old 01-08-10, 08:17 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
That is a good find, by the looks it appears that it is part numbers 83247E & 83247H, as there is a right and left side. I think you will need to order both of those, but this is where a Toyota/Lexus parts guy will help you with that. Before I just shelled out the bucks to just order new ones, check to make sure your getting voltage to the bulbs. You would hate to just order the bulbs, replace them, and it doesn't fix your problem. Just trying to save you a few bucks is all.
I dont think those are bulbs. Those are circuit boards.
Old 01-14-10, 11:44 AM
Nosferatu2
Driver

yes but the Light is part of the circuit board .

i wish there will be a way to have the cluster on Max and dim the radio/AC display
Old 01-14-10, 01:58 PM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by Nosferatu2
yes but the Light is part of the circuit board .

i wish there will be a way to have the cluster on Max and dim the radio/AC display
Well this i just to provoke thought... Hope someone who actually can give specs can step in. If the light sensor on the dash is in charge of dimming the cluster from bright to dim, couldn't we just fool the sensor to having a full 12v like it's getting the sun's rays directly on it, or if its a reverse thing, couldn't we disconnect the sensor and wouldn't it constantly think it's pitch black outside... I think part of it is that the air in the CCFL itself is more dense causing everything to be a little darker, vs. when it's warm outside. I am just thinking out loud....
Old 04-28-10, 05:30 AM
phyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How to get the brightest white display at night time is as follows:

Park your car under the bright sun light during the day. I believe this charges somewhat battery for this CCFL. If you parked underground parking or darker area for a few hours, you will need to drive around for more than 30 minutes at least to get the charging (probably dynamo)

Turn on Head lamp lights (not to automatic sensor mode)
Point a flash light directly to the sensor. Within 2 seconds it will change to brighter mode and you will experience the brightest white.
You can even try this in the evenings or cloudy days.

I am thinking to put a permanent LED wired lights right in front of that sensor so that its bright 24/7.
It would be good if there’s a better way to fool the sensor such as playing with the wires.
Old 02-12-14, 06:48 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cluster gauge

Originally Posted by LEXTECH126
as a Lexus tech. there are 8 bulbs that gives that backlight behind the cluster aside from the warning lights like check engine, abs, & so on... to do this job first time could take up to 2hours at the most providing you have all the necessary tools: small pick or pocket srewdriver. #2 phillips screwdriver stubby & long. the whole entireombo cluster needs to come out. becareful when disconnecting plug outlet behind cluster. they are usually tight & often times hard to pull out. this may pull wires out of wire connector. soon as you have everything off. there are about 10 or so phillips screws you need to removed. the bulbs that you will need to replace are sometimes tricky to identify. there are exactly 8 that look all identical. if you are not sure of which one. you can find this info out when you buy the bulbs from your local Lexus dealer. just ask when purchasing if you can get a picture diagram of bulb location. trying to tell you this without picture in fron of you will further confused you. and lastly, when all bulbs are replaced & ready to install. make sure that you have the odometer & tach meter needle setting in correct location... for ie: speedo needle is siiting a zero (0) not the other side sam goes with tach. this will avoid you from removing combo cluster again. to further explain if you are not even more confused. if done incorrectly once you start your vehicle. you will see your speedo needle &/or tach in the other side. meaning you have peg it. another example... rather than idling at 800rpm, you will see your tach peg at 9000 rpm or more. goodluck with the installation.
E

Is there a fuse for this piece? Mine just turned off, but the indicators in the center like when you turn the car on work, just the speedometer is dark and not functioning.

Thanks.

Is there a fuse for.this? Mine.just turned.off, but the

Quick Reply: How do I replace Gauge cluster lights 01 GS300?