GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tire Recommendations for GS300 - 235/40 R18

Old 12-28-09, 10:24 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Recommendations for GS300 - 235/40 R18

My GS300 has 235/40 - 18 in the front which needed to be replaced. The prior tire was the Yokohama Advan S4's which were nice, but one of them had a wear issue which caused the car to pull.

So I just recently had some Diamondback TR968's installed at Town Fair Tire because the price at $77/tire was great. The tires have good grip, look aggressive, and my car is no longer pulling, but to no suprise these cheap tires are extremely loud to a point where it is unbearable on some roads. It sounds like a jet engine on some roads!

Town Fair gives a 30-day test drive, so I am thinking about envoking my option to upgrade these to something less noisy. I only put 7-8k or so miles a year on my car so I expect the tires to last me a few years and don't want to put up with this noise for that long.

I'm not looking to break the bank, I'm hoping to find something in the $100-$140 per tire range. It needs to be an ALL- SEASON tire with reasonable wet/snow traction and 'W' rating to match the rear.

Town Fair recommended Toyo Proxes 4 - but these are $160 each and at that price just too much for me.

Two other Town Fair Tire options that I am considering are:
Nexen N7000 - $129 ea.
Dunlop SP Sport Signature - $136 ea.

Just wanted to see if anyone could offer some recommendations on a good ALL Season W rated Tire for less than $150 each and not too noisy.

Thanks
Old 12-28-09, 10:48 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on personal experience, I'm a huge fan of the Toyo Versado LX. Outstanding grip, low noise, strong all weather performance, and it has a nice profile. Also, I recommend going 245/40-18 opposed to 235/40-18. It will keep the speedometer at the correct spec.
Old 12-28-09, 12:15 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Based on personal experience, I'm a huge fan of the Toyo Versado LX. Outstanding grip, low noise, strong all weather performance, and it has a nice profile. Also, I recommend going 245/40-18 opposed to 235/40-18. It will keep the speedometer at the correct spec.

I have 265/35 18 on the backs. Shuld I go 235/40 18 on front with that staggered fitment?
Old 12-28-09, 01:40 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

actually glad someone posted this today as im shopping for tires for my new g-spider rims. i didnt get the staggered setup and i was wondering what size tire i should get to get speedometer correct (now i know after reading this) and also a decent tire as i been using the michelin energy mxv4 205/55/16 (i think) and in the 18's they like 285 a tire......ouch.

anyone have a suggestion for a decent priced,long lasting,QUIET (MUST BE QUIET) tire in 245/40/18?
Old 12-28-09, 02:17 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
actually glad someone posted this today as im shopping for tires for my new g-spider rims. i didnt get the staggered setup and i was wondering what size tire i should get to get speedometer correct (now i know after reading this) and also a decent tire as i been using the michelin energy mxv4 205/55/16 (i think) and in the 18's they like 285 a tire......ouch.

anyone have a suggestion for a decent priced,long lasting,QUIET (MUST BE QUIET) tire in 245/40/18?

I can tell you from experience that I had the Yokoham Advan's and I didnt hear any noise. But those will run you $225+ at most places. Town Fair Tire claims the Toyo Proxes 4 won't be noisy and those are only $160/each.

I've been using this link at Tirerack to help me decide, but not all tires are available on this site:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...r=18&x=16&y=13
Old 12-28-09, 07:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

i just read yesterday that another member just put on the Hancock Ventus V12's.. Way better than the Toyo TR-1's but everyone will be biased on this subject..
Old 12-28-09, 09:56 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're running staggered fitment (18x8 or 8.5 / 18x9 or 9.5) a great fitment is 245/40-18 with 275 (or 285)/35-18. Romini posted the ultimate fitment guide a few years ago. Again, from personal experience I love my Toyo Vesado LXs and after exhaustive research and testing plan on buying the Hankook V12's for my dedicated summer tires.

You're up in MA. Are you after an all-season or a touring tire, both have the winter spec? Do you plan on using dedicated winter tires with all of the snow you get up there?
Old 12-29-09, 07:28 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj

I have been running Yokohama YK520 on mine for sometime, they come with a mileage warranty too. They are about $184 a tire. I have had them on other cars as well and they ride great. That is the same size I have been using on all 4, until last week, I got a new set of wheels and now just have them in the front.
Old 12-29-09, 09:03 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

ty for info....will be tire shopping soon, ty op for the post too so i didnt have to make one
Old 12-29-09, 11:53 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
If you're running staggered fitment (18x8 or 8.5 / 18x9 or 9.5) a great fitment is 245/40-18 with 275 (or 285)/35-18. Romini posted the ultimate fitment guide a few years ago. Again, from personal experience I love my Toyo Vesado LXs and after exhaustive research and testing plan on buying the Hankook V12's for my dedicated summer tires.

You're up in MA. Are you after an all-season or a touring tire, both have the winter spec? Do you plan on using dedicated winter tires with all of the snow you get up there?
Marty- I don't have too drive far to work and when it snows I can work from home, so I'd like to stick with an all season. My rears are yoko advan S-4s and still have atleast 70% tread so I'm looking only for fronts right now. With that said am I better off with 245-40-18 in front or do I stay with 235-40-18 to go with my 265-35 rears? I'm pretty sure my wheels are 8 & 8.5.

I might grab the Dunlop signature sport tires which seem to have good reviews for the price.
Old 12-29-09, 12:14 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Check out the reviews in these exclaim uhp tires. There's nearly 60 reviews just from Lexus owners. I haven't found a tire yet online with better reviews from Lexus owners.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...m%3D34WR8EUHP#
Old 12-29-09, 07:45 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

I put 255/40/18 (rear) and 225/45/18 (front) on my IS350 staggered rims. The tires are Hankook V12's. They seem to have a nice quiet ride and the price was great.
Old 12-29-09, 08:03 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Took my car out for a ride tonight and while the rotational noise on these Diamonback TR968s is a bit loud, I guess it's not unbearable. I'm now debating on whether I should just keep them until I figure out what to do with my rims which I hope to replace in the spring. Otherwise I'm looking at spending atleast another $150-$180 to upgrade them which is money perhaps better spent elsewhere.

I only paid $178 Installed for the pair, and despite the noise these things can hug a corner like i've never felt before. Granted, I've never owned a lexus or any nice car until recently so I can't really compare. But I can tell you that these things hug a corner as tight if not tighter than the Yoko Advan S4's I just took off. They are so tight around corners I was actually grinning in amazement as I pulled off some ramps.
Old 12-30-09, 04:53 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by skiz88
Check out the reviews in these exclaim uhp tires. There's nearly 60 reviews just from Lexus owners. I haven't found a tire yet online with better reviews from Lexus owners.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...m%3D34WR8EUHP#
lol, the FIRST lexus review i saw was this one.....not a good review

2000 Lexus GS400 More Tire Reviews for This Vehicle No Photo Available Buy/More Info
General Exclaim UHP
Miles driven on tires: 8,000
Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Driving Style: Spirited

Initial Review, 8,000 Miles on Tires
December 03, 2009

I purchased these tires for my aftermarket 19" wheel package for my '00 GS400. I would like to note that my car has a modified suspension. When I first installed the wheel/tires, the car was very low, on aftermarket Stance coilovers, and after a few months I switched to a more OEM style setup using Bilstein shocks and Tanabe DF210 lowering springs. But back to the tires. I don't like these tires at all. They were very difficult to balance correctly (we double checked and the wheel had nothing to do with it) the road noise was almost unbearable, and the vibration at highway speeds prompted an expensive diagnostic procedure and replacement of many suspension items, only to find that my tires were the culprit the entire time. Overall, dry traction is excellent, however wet traction was a problem in Texas monsoon storms, and I hydroplaned in several situations where I simply should not have, not when it was my fault for going to fast for conditions. All in all, it's cheap - but you get what you pay for. I got rid of them.
Old 12-30-09, 06:21 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

[QUOTE=sakataj;5107369]lol, the FIRST lexus review i saw was this one.....not a good review QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw that one too, but that's not the first one you see if you filter vehicle by 'Lexus'. When you filter by 'Lexus' it automatically sorts based on review ranking and the first 10 you will see all ranked them between 9.4 and 10.

If you do that the first 5 reviews are pretty impressive:

Initial Review, 7,000 Miles on Tires
January 07, 2009

I purchased these tires based on previous reviews and believing that I don't have to spend a grand to get good tires. I previously had the goodyear that came with the car. These goodyears did not last at all. Anyways 7 months later and these GENERALS have held up beautifully. The threat looks very good. No noise, excellent traction in dry AND wet conditions, excellent steering and braking. I do not race drag or anything like that so I cannot provide feedback on that but I certainly do not drive slow. I'm always on the run so driving my car hard every day is a normal occurance. I recently took a 4 hour highway trip and no problem. No noise whatsoever. Every time I park right next to other RXs I notice how they have no threa and have probably paid a fortune. If you are concern about looks, don't worry, they look good too!
Go ahead and buy them, you will not be dissapointed. I will certainly buy them from now on. Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Initial Review, 33,000 Miles on Tires
June 25, 2006

I am buying a new set in like 5k more miles. They held up great. I have a Turbo 5speed trans in my Lexus. I get about 340 hp and I have to have good tires. I thought for the money they would be a waste. I almost didnt buy them. Plz they are worth the little they cost and then some. Made my car ride like a dream and wet traction. You could say that you dont even feel the water. Even with 33,000 miles on them. they are still great. Buy them You wont be disapointed. You cant do better than 89 bux for a tire. Hey and take it to Wal-mart and they will mount and balance them for $3.50 a tire.

Initial Review, 500 Miles on Tires
May 30, 2007

Do NOT Be Afraid of this tire, I was worried when I had no other options but this tire. I am glad that I bought these, I am EXTREMELY happy with them so far. I do not have alot of miles on them yet, But wasted NO time "testing" them for myself. The traction these tires provide is AMAZING, Noise is low And Tread pattern is very aggressive! In my opinion, This tire out performs MANY of the much more expensive brands out there and you will not be disappointed with your purchase.

Initial Review, 500 Miles on Tires
November 07, 2005

I just got these tires but have been so impressed in such a short time that I thought I should provide some immediate feedback. I have been very pleased with the handling, ride, and low noise level thus far. They are so much better than the Yokahama Advan A10B that came on the car. I had to replace the Yokahamas at 12.5K because of excessive noise.I will give another report at about 5K.

Initial Review, 400 Miles on Tires
May 15, 2006

My fuel economy immediately went up because of these tires. It is also very quiet and comfortable/supple. Thanks Tire Rack for having a survey. You just saved me approx. a thousand dollar by not getting the more expensive Michelins. For those complaining of a tough sidewall, just pump your tires more. You will gain much more MPG and get the firm ride/ positive cornering action you were hoping for. I have mine set at 38psi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations for GS300 - 235/40 R18