GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY: How to flush your GS2 coolant with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-11, 08:32 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

great report. I plan on doing this this weekend. I have some type of green/gold coolant in my car now. I'm going to do the multiple drain/fills to get the coolant completely cool. I don't feel like messing with the block drains. Since I have the GS3, my total capacity is 8.1 qts based on the manual. So I would only need 1 gallon of coolant and 1 gal of distilled water for the 50/50 mix. I don't hear people speak about this much but can I just use two premixed 50/50 mix jug. That way it's already premixed with the correct ratio? I'm going to do this myself. I just came from the dealer and they wanted to charge me $200 for this job.
Old 06-10-11, 08:35 AM
flossabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant

Awesome info, was planning on doing this soon anyway!
Old 11-27-11, 10:30 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

So I'm confused... Is it 10.4 or is it 8.1

10.4qts is the total capacity; radiator, block, heater core, hoses is what was written earlier..

so does the block heater core and hoses hold 10.4-8.1? 2.3 qts

Reason why I ask is to get a 50/50 mixture you have to account for what's in the block/heater core/hoses..

so if you flush 3 or 4 times and you see just clear water... and then you refill 50/50, you total mixture will be less the 50/50 because your block/heater core/ hoses all have water in them.. and you're adding 50/50 solution to it... thus making total solution less then 50/50... I know people say it doesn't matter that much.. but does anyone know the break down of the capacity of the total system?

I'd like to get 50/50 more exact..

I guess only other way is to waste some radiator fluid... do your last flush with 50/50 solution and let it drain and then refill with 50/50 solution... (waste though...)

Any input guys?
Old 11-27-11, 11:48 AM
Jaik
Driver School Candidate

Not 100% sure but i think 8.1 is the GS3's capacity and 10.4 would be the GS4. Seems to make sense since the two engines would have different cap's.
I work at an autoparts shop and we are told to tell customers not to mix red and green coolant, something to do with the inhibitors in the two colours. Red is usually for alloy blocks, and green are for cast (i think, good employee i know). You can use green in ANY car because is is safe for both kinds of engines, but you can only use red in cars that can handle it.
But, again, I am not sure if the coolant we get here [Aus] is the same as the stuff you get in America, but I assume it would be.
We dont get the extreme change in temps as you guys do, atleast not where i live, so even if the mixture is not exactly 50/50 it doesnt matter, it will still do its job. However, when you get to below freezing and snow and crap like that it probably becomes a bit more crucial
Old 11-27-11, 12:03 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

So anyone know how much cap is in block of radiator fluid?

Okay so i read tue manual says on p 256 of 2001 gs manual:
We recommend to use 50% ssolution fpr ypur lexus to provide protection down to about -31 F. When it is extremely cold to provide protection down to about -58F 60% solution is recommended. Do not use more than 70% solution for better coolant performance. Use "Toyota Long Life Coolant" or equivalent.

Additionally on p245 says
For gs430 capacity is 9.5 qts
For gs300 capacity is 8.1 qts

I just pulled all fluid out on gs300 just from radiator plug and the total amout of fluid that came out and I got exactly 5.1 qts out. Minus some minimal spillage.

If lexus is rt about 8.1 qts total then whats left in the engine is 3 qts exactly.

So i will fill 3 qts of coolant that is 100% coolant red toyota long life. Then remaining amout i will make a 50/50 mix and fill the rest with that.

If there is any error in my calculation please point it out.

Last edited by iamkhanz; 11-27-11 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added info from manual
Old 11-27-11, 02:47 PM
cschroder
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rkircho
Does anyone know where I can buy the two heater hoses for a 2000 GS300. The only place I can find them is a Lexus dealer that wants 110.00 for the 2 heater hoses.

GATES is fine

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Old 11-28-11, 05:10 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by iamkhanz
So anyone know how much cap is in block of radiator fluid?

Okay so i read tue manual says on p 256 of 2001 gs manual:
We recommend to use 50% ssolution fpr ypur lexus to provide protection down to about -31 F. When it is extremely cold to provide protection down to about -58F 60% solution is recommended. Do not use more than 70% solution for better coolant performance. Use "Toyota Long Life Coolant" or equivalent.

Additionally on p245 says
For gs430 capacity is 9.5 qts
For gs300 capacity is 8.1 qts

I just pulled all fluid out on gs300 just from radiator plug and the total amout of fluid that came out and I got exactly 5.1 qts out. Minus some minimal spillage.

If lexus is rt about 8.1 qts total then whats left in the engine is 3 qts exactly.

So i will fill 3 qts of coolant that is 100% coolant red toyota long life. Then remaining amout i will make a 50/50 mix and fill the rest with that.

If there is any error in my calculation please point it out.
I don't understand where you got your calculations.
If you flushed with plain water, then put in 8.1/2= 1 gallon coolant, then fill to top with water.

If you drained 5.1 quarts of mix, why wouldn't you just fill with 50/50 mix (2.5quarts of each)?

Don't worry so much about it, unless you really are going to be in the ultra cold conditions such as below -31F. As long as you are in the ballpark of some coolant and water it's going to be fine (YMMV, it's your car do what you want). I'll bring it up for reminder that your car has a fan and thermostat will control the temperature of the car to keep it at a specific operating temperature as long as the system has cooling capacity.
You are better off obsessing over things like tire pressures that don't have a feedback-control system to keep them at a specific level.

More coolant isn't actually a good thing.
If you have extra water(less coolant) it will actually do a better job at transferring heat (cooling). On some races (the $500 LeMons for example) it is a rule to have only water in the cooling system (zero additives) and those cars do fine.
If you have extra coolant (less water), this does get you a better job of preventing freezing.

Last edited by raytseng; 11-28-11 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-28-11, 05:42 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nobody seemed to figure out how to bleed the system of air. Someone mentioned how most cars, including all of the ones that I have owned, had bleed plugs that you would unscrew to allow all air to get purged from the system. If the GS400 motor doesn't have one, it would be the first I have ever encountered.

Even when you sit and look until the bubbles completely burp itself out off the radiator while running, with heat on full blast, air will still be in the system. The bleed plug prevents this from happening. Nobody knows where this is located?
Old 05-24-13, 04:42 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

I too would like to know this answer. I changed water pump, thermostat, and radiator and the car overheats now after a few miles (1uz). I suspect lots of air..