GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First time lexus owner, possible problem with steering wheel has free play/movement

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 02:14 PM
YiDe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 Steering Column Rattle

Been following this thread and it seems to be the ONLY source for solutions to this problem, so happy to find it!

I have a 2010 RX350 that rattles at low speeds over uneven surfaces. Extremely annoying and hard to not focus on this every time I drive the car.

Got the diagnostic at the dealership here and have been quoted $2900CAD to replace the steering column. Car is out of warranty but has enough value left that I may go ahead with that repair if I can't get this to work out.

Poked around twice already but can't find the zip tie areas I see in some of your photos. I'll have another look tonight because it looks like it's right behind the pedals. Will be truly thankful if I can fix this rattling without throwing $3000 into the black hole!
Old 08-05-16, 01:42 AM
TheOnly1UZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
almost 5 years l8r and i finally installed

Thanks for an updated pic of where and how to install, will be doing this tomorrow.
Old 08-05-16, 08:22 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Is grease needed?
Old 08-05-16, 01:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
Did you grease anything or just installed the zip ties? Saw somewhere that lithium grease was necessary.
Not that im aware of.... i greased the bushing coming into the car while i was down there but other than that no, nor should it be

Originally Posted by TheOnly1UZ
Thanks for an updated pic of where and how to install, will be doing this tomorrow.
you know the OP put a pic up of where to install, mine is a little higher than his and make sure your clip on the ziptie isnt on the shaft

Originally Posted by LexusK
Is grease needed?
you already know i dont get on daily.... calm down. no grease needed
Old 08-06-16, 12:12 AM
TheOnly1UZ
Driver School Candidate

Not that im aware of.... i greased the bushing coming into the car while i was down there but other than that no, nor should it be

you know the OP put a pic up of where to install, mine is a little higher than his and make sure your clip on the ziptie isnt on the shaft

you already know i dont get on daily.... calm down. no grease needed
Thanks Sakataj!
Old 12-31-16, 05:47 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Can someone update the pics. I can't see any old or new pics. Maybe is this computer on work that no let me see it? Maybe I T have some web block I want to check from my cell phone to see what happen
Old 12-31-16, 05:52 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It's definitely the work computer. I log in on my cell phone and now I can see the pics.
Old 01-03-17, 10:01 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

yeah I cut mine back off and I DEF have more shake with it off...so I'm going to add it back. I wonder if you can replace the bushing that brings the steering shaft into the car which is probably the cause of this?
Old 02-08-17, 08:15 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

yeah I cut mine back off and I DEF have more shake with it off...so I'm going to add it back. I wonder if you can replace the bushing that brings the steering shaft into the car which is probably the cause of this?
so I have been thinking about this a lot and I think changing the bushing the steering shaft sits on (that comes into the car) should fix this.....does anyone have access to the schematics? I don't have time to get them atm
Old 03-03-17, 07:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so I have been thinking about this a lot and I think changing the bushing the steering shaft sits on (that comes into the car) should fix this.....does anyone have access to the schematics? I don't have time to get them atm
so i talked to Abel in a PM and got this...

Originally Posted by Debonair
i think you are looking for #45260 (intermediate shaft) which appears to include the bushing that sits inside of #45025D (cabin pass-thru).

i will look up the price and stuff when i get a minute as i need to get back off of here and do some work

complete part # is a 45260-30080 though guys and its about $250 bucks, let me see if i can find it cheaper

Last edited by sakataj; 03-03-17 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-02-17, 01:59 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

So I finally did this today but am not clear on this step:

4. One by one, slowely tighten the cable ties (1 click at a time) as you turn your steering wheel left-right. As soon as you feel a little extra tension to turn the steering wheel STOP.

I didn't feel any tension at all, so I tightened the zip ties just enough. Does this have anything to do with me installing the Daizen Steering Rack Bushing Kit a few months ago?
Old 07-28-17, 02:11 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did this today in a 99 GS4, This car had nothing but problems int eh last 6 mos. Previously was stock and had no issues.

I can tell you that before the zipties, I replaced almost every part of the suspension and also adjusts the pretensioner to no avail.

I put 2 - 4" zipties on it and before doing so, I could move the shaft up and don at least 1/2". No play after - drop the car and it does feel better but will have to drive more to tell for sure.
Old 03-29-18, 11:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so i talked to Abel in a PM and got this...

i will look up the price and stuff when i get a minute as i need to get back off of here and do some work

complete part # is a 45260-30080 though guys and its about $250 bucks, let me see if i can find it cheaper
i may actually try this since i have my dash out already... let me see if i can find it for a decent price
Old 09-23-21, 04:20 PM
CurlyG
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Just did the zip tie fix, photo!

At 152k miles (bought the car at 140k miles), I notice steering wheel feedback (rough vibration) when driving over rough patches at speeds above 50 mph or so. The car came with all GS430 UCA/LCA's/Bushings, Figs caster arm bushings, and installing Daizen steering rack bushings did not stop the steering wheel feedback.
After reading this thread, I jacked the front end up and checked the steering wheel for backlash and noise by rotationally "shaking" the wheel back and forth, and did so at different rotation positions (ie: wheel angles). The steering column made noise and presented backlash as the direction of turning was abruptly reversed, confirming that the steering column joints have developed excessive play.
I had also previously "tightened" the steering rack preload nut, which definitely helped take some slack out of the steering system.
This (temporary) "wire tie hanger" fix completely removed all steering wheel feedback over bumps. I used 2 nylon wire tires, tightened them very tight (probably too tight!), and greased the shaft/ties with lithium grease.
I'm now looking at "refurbishing" the steering rack assembly (u-joints), or installing a custom in-line "centering" bearing as mentioned in the thread. Here is a photo of my ghetto fix:

Old 10-07-21, 10:54 AM
TampaBrian
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm. Must look into this zip tie solution.

Quick Reply: First time lexus owner, possible problem with steering wheel has free play/movement