GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

"2GSonAir" Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 11:25 PM
airmax
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cars looking good, thx for the link
Old 04-18-11, 11:09 PM
2GSonAir
Lead Lap

Default A few recent shots from Hella Flush/Slammed Society @ Formula Drift Long Beach.

Special thanks to the BP VIP Family.

And thank you to Ashlee Arika.

Last edited by 2GSonAir; 04-18-11 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 12:52 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your GS is phenomenal!
I love the interior as well as the exterior shots!
Ladies compliment the pictures very well, new desktop background is what I say!

Could you please specify, are those XJ8 rear tables and what year? Thank you!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by airestonia; 04-20-11 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-20-11, 12:57 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love the front table and rear jag tables. I need those in my life
Old 04-20-11, 01:24 AM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

I really love your interior. I haven't seen nice beige interior for awhile. Usually its black. Veryvery nice.
Old 04-20-11, 01:34 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Very clean man, inside and out.... I think the Ordens are my favorite set of wheels..
Old 04-20-11, 01:38 AM
2GSonAir
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by airestonia
Your GS is phenomenal!
I love the interior as well as the exterior shots!
Ladies compliment the pictures very well, new desktop background is what I say!

Could you please specify, are those XJ8 rear tables and what year? Thank you!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you all for the great comments.

I don't remember what model or what year jaguar the rear tables came from. I bought them over 3 years ago and never had the time until recently to sand them down, stain, and clear glaze them. I just called around to jaguar dismantlers and told them I was looking for the ones w/out the cup holders.

Last edited by 2GSonAir; 04-22-11 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 06:38 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSonAir
Thanks you all for the great comments.

I don't remember what model or what year jaguar the rear tables came from. I bought them over 3 years ago and never had the time until recently to sand them down, stain, and clear glaze them. I just called around to jaguar dismantlers and told them I was looking for the ones w/out the cup holders.

how you go about staining and reglazing the tables? I have them but they don't match my interior wood trim.
Old 04-20-11, 07:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent123
I need those in my life
i need that lady in my life

car looks good OP
Old 04-20-11, 10:02 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
i need that lady in my life

car looks good OP
thats the OP's sister.
Old 04-20-11, 11:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
thats the OP's sister.
soooo? my post was never intended to be sexual or rude. i didnt say anything disrespectful. just said i need her in my life. she's a very beautiful women
Old 04-20-11, 02:01 PM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

thats a nice car..love those ordens too! (saved pics!)
Old 04-20-11, 03:59 PM
Uneekstyle
Rookie

i was lucky enoughh to get to see this car at the Slammed Society Shawcase when i was out in CA. evn the pictures dont do it justice, its a thing of beauty with an extremely humble owner whom i was able to chat with for awhile. the rear tables as well as the coat hanger bring that luxury vibe even more so than just a clean interior. very well done!
Old 04-20-11, 09:54 PM
Lazyfun
Driver School Candidate

soooo..shinny
Old 04-21-11, 04:12 PM
2GSonAir
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spencedigg
how you go about staining and reglazing the tables? I have them but they don't match my interior wood trim.
Here's how they looked when I got them. These are pictures from the Jaguar the junkyard people sent me. Cracks all over and they were brown and didn't match at all.

A LOT of time and effort was put into these tables. Took about a week and a half to finally get them mounted in.
I started with 80 grit sand paper on a handheld mouse sander and sanded until the clear was down to wood. It took about 3 hours on each one. I sanded until I was all the way down to the original wood. There is a burlwood effect that is somehow acheived from the manufacture that is not actual wood before you get down to the real wood. To keep the burlwood look then be real carefull as you sand down. Once you see dark sanding dust, you need to stop. The burlwood looks like a bunch little swirls. I didn't like it so I sanded it down to the actual wood that has more straight lines in the grain like the stock wood pieces have.

After that I changed the sand paper to 220 grit and then finished with 320 grit.

Then I stained them 3 times to get the color dark enough to match the stock. Here's a picture after they've been sanded and stained.

The stain I used was from Lowe's and in Mandarin Orange color.

I then made some custom holders and drip trays because the clear glaze has to be poured on. You can use a brush-on type epoxy but to acheive a thick coat just like how the tables came, my only solution was a pour-on type that auto levels. The trays were made of particle board I had around the house and the stems that go up are made of paint stir sticks I got for free at Lowes. Two paint stir sticks on each stem that were glued together then sanded down to fit exactly perfect in the slots where the brackets go. I used a nail gun to put together the drip tray and wood glued the edges so that the glaze wouldn't seep through the cracks.
The glaze was then poured on. The instructions will tell you that there will be tiny little bubbles created from mixing and stirring the glaze. Use a small handheld propane torch to pop the bubbles. Wave the flame about 6-8 inches away from the wood back and forth and you'll see them pop. This is a real fast process. Most of the bubbles will surface and pop on their own but it says that if you do not use a torch, some will stay and create little divets. Once bubbles are torched real fast, put the tables somewhere there will be no dust that circulates in the air and let dry for 3 days. I put the tables in my Honda Civic track car and rolled up the windows.

The glaze I used was bought from Lowe's as well. I glazed one table at a time. The glaze is a two part mixture of hardener and epoxy. I only mixed half of what was given at a time. This stuff starts to dry and gets real thick after 20 minutes so you don't have much time to play around with it so it's best to do one table at a time.

After they dried. I still noticed some pitting I believe is from the wood breathing and so bubbles came up and left pits. I wasn't happy so I bought another glaze kit from Lowes and poured on another coat and let dry for another 3 days. After that, the finish came out great. The only thing I need to do now is sand them down again with 320 grit to get the slight waviness out and clear glaze them again with a brush-on type epoxy to get them perfect. Oh and also get the bottom leather reupolstered to match the existing leather. The leather color is off a bit.

Originally Posted by sakataj
soooo? my post was never intended to be sexual or rude. i didnt say anything disrespectful. just said i need her in my life. she's a very beautiful women
Hahaha, she's not my sister. Mike was just pulling your chain.

Originally Posted by Uneekstyle
i was lucky enoughh to get to see this car at the Slammed Society Shawcase when i was out in CA. evn the pictures dont do it justice, its a thing of beauty with an extremely humble owner whom i was able to chat with for awhile. the rear tables as well as the coat hanger bring that luxury vibe even more so than just a clean interior. very well done!
Thanks man, it was really nice meeting you too. Hold it down in the AZ!!!

Last edited by 2GSonAir; 04-25-11 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: "2GSonAir" Update