GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-09, 02:46 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system

Does anyone have an aftermarket TPMS that can be installed by just replacing the tire valve caps for a screwed on sensor?

Are these systems recommended? Any one with pics with this system or type of system on their wheels? Thanks for the help in advanced
Old 11-18-09, 05:34 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Does anyone have a TPMS like this? Any advice guys? I'm thinking about getting a system like this, and any help would be great!
Old 11-18-09, 08:00 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I have looked into these systems and will be getting one when I replace my tires this summer. I will probably be getting a Orange Electronics TPMS Kit. You can find them for real good prices online and I have ready many favorable reviews.

Lots of people hate TPMS and remove their OEM setup first chance they get. I personally have terrible luck with tires and have ruined several tires by driving on them unaware they were flat until it was too late. Had I realized it sooner I could have had them repaired.
Old 11-18-09, 08:14 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Or you can spend $10 bucks on something like these

just gotta look at them manually cheap and effective.
Old 11-18-09, 08:48 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It bugs people because its a warning light on their dash that comes on all the time. If its an aftermarket system, its probably better and you can put it out of the way so its not flashing in your face all day long.

I like TPMS cuz it improves handling, ride quality, gas mileage, etc..to have evenly pressurized tires.
Old 11-18-09, 09:31 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

What does a TPMS kit look like and how much does one usually run?
Old 11-18-09, 09:46 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

google .
Old 11-18-09, 09:52 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Or you can spend $10 bucks on something like these

just gotta look at them manually cheap and effective.
These work great....until you pick up a nail, loose pressure, and wreck your tire all without having stopped the car. Once you do stop they will do a great job at confirming what your eyes can see - a flat ruined tire.

Originally Posted by LexusK
What does a TPMS kit look like and how much does one usually run?
$150ish

Old 11-18-09, 10:03 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
I like TPMS cuz it improves handling, ride quality, gas mileage, etc..to have evenly pressurized tires.
TPMS doesnt do this....it just lets u know u low on air....if u like my buddy and a lazy ***, it can tell u its low BUT if u dont fill it, it doesnt do jack. (his tpms has been on for like5 days)

Originally Posted by Debonair
$150ish

my only problem is in the winter her when its really really cold, i will get in the truck, drive off and it says its low, as soon as the tires warm up it the light goes away. (yes i know air expands and contracts with temp changes but its annoying to see this thing in the morning) think soon i will switch to nitrogen like i have in my gs.
Old 11-18-09, 10:10 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

well yeah.. but

But I said having properly pressurized tires does all that.
Old 11-18-09, 11:32 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by sakataj
TPMS doesnt do this....it just lets u know u low on air....if u like my buddy and a lazy ***, it can tell u its low BUT if u dont fill it, it doesnt do jack. (his tpms has been on for like5 days)

my only problem is in the winter her when its really really cold, i will get in the truck, drive off and it says its low, as soon as the tires warm up it the light goes away. (yes i know air expands and contracts with temp changes but its annoying to see this thing in the morning) think soon i will switch to nitrogen like i have in my gs.
Cold weather....whats that? (Cali Love )

I believe the "Alarm" pressure is programmable so you should be able to set it below your cold weather temp, unlike preset OEM units.

And I agree with NemeGuero that TPMS setups make it somewhat easier to keep proper PSI since it is essentially labor free. This of course translates to better fuel econ., tire life, etc. As long as you are not Brian's lazy buddy that is.
Old 11-18-09, 02:03 PM
CPMD
Advanced

These work great....until you pick up a nail, loose pressure, and wreck your tire all without having stopped the car. Once you do stop they will do a great job at confirming what your eyes can see - a flat ruined tire.

$150ish

Agreed. Looking for something that will have a warning receiver that is located inside the car's cabin.

I have looked into these systems and will be getting one when I replace my tires this summer. I will probably be getting a Orange Electronics TPMS Kit. You can find them for real good prices online and I have ready many favorable reviews. Lots of people hate TPMS and remove their OEM setup first chance they get. I personally have terrible luck with tires and have ruined several tires by driving on them unaware they were flat until it was too late. Had I realized it sooner I could have had them repaired.
Orange Electronics TPMS kits look really nice.. I was looking at them online. I like how the receiver units look too, but the problem is I wasn't looking to spend that much money, which would include installing the sensors inside the wheels. If I had the cash right now, I would definitely go that route.
Old 11-18-09, 02:20 PM
CPMD
Advanced

What I was thinking was something that just more easier to install and not so expensive.

What do you guys think about this type of TPMS? The sensors screw on the tire's valve, and the monitor basically goes onto the cigarette adapter. It doesn't tell you the exact PSI, but it does send out an audio and visual alert if it drops below 28 PSI. What do you guys think? Let me know
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system-secutire.jpg  
Old 11-18-09, 02:27 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by cpmd
What I was thinking was something that just more easier to install and not so expensive.

What do you guys think about this type of TPMS? The sensors screw on the tire's valve, and the monitor basically goes onto the cigarette adapter. It doesn't tell you the exact PSI, but it does send out an audio and visual alert if it drops below 28 PSI. What do you guys think? Let me know
I got one of those off eBay for $20.00. The sensors are a little too obvious for me. I can take some pics of it when I get home if you like. In fact you can have it for $20.00 shipped too if you want.
Old 11-18-09, 02:34 PM
CPMD
Advanced

I got one of those off eBay for $20.00. The sensors are a little too obvious for me. I can take some pics of it when I get home if you like. In fact you can have it for $20.00 shipped too if you want.
That would be great if you can take some pics of the sensors on the tires, and how the receiver looks in the cig. adapter. I am also worried about how big those sensors are. Did you use it? How did you like it? Thanks bro

Quick Reply: Aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system