GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cant effin believe I did this!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-02, 03:38 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Cant effin believe I did this!!!!!!!!

so there is a little dirt build up on my arm rest in my GS. i am a left handed driver so i rest my arm there (duh!) so doing a search, i found out that Lexol is the best leather cleaner out that is readil available. of course i cant find it anywhere so someone had mentioned using warm soapy water. i know i got that, so im off. start cleaning and the thing works like a charm. so im rubbing alittle more and i notice that it goes from dirty to clean to looking dirty again. IM TAKING OFF THE TOP LAYER OF THE LEATHER!!!!!!!! so now i have another spot of discoloration on my arm rest. friggin' great. what do i need to do. is there any leather dye or do i need to get another top section for the arm rest? i still cant believe i did this. like my pops used to say, "i should be driving a bulldozer"

Doc
Attached Thumbnails Cant effin believe I did this!!!!!!!!-dsc00047.jpg  
Old 05-02-02, 03:39 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

this one should show it alittle better
Attached Thumbnails Cant effin believe I did this!!!!!!!!-dsc00048.jpg  
Old 05-02-02, 03:48 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

D/R - beathe in, breathe out.

I believe you, but it looks like its still wet in that pic. Let it air dry first; don't rub it anymore.

When it is completely dry, gently apply some leather conditioner evenly over the entire arm rest. Consider rubbing it in with your hands. Don't goop it on; that will do more harm than good.

Let it soak in for a 10-30 min, then take a look see if the discoloration is still grossly apparent. If it is, try to manipulate the shades with a little more conditioner. If still after a second application, you don't see the results you want, stop there.

I doubt you really did that much damage, but good luck; you should be fine.

Breathe in, breathe out.
Old 05-02-02, 03:59 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

thanx Dex for you words of encouragement, but the problem is i took the pic about 30 min after the brain fart. so im pretty sure that its dry. i will try the leather conditioner suggestion. i just feel kinda sick right now. like maybe this will start the downward spiral that my civic took. i need a drink and a cigar

Doc
Old 05-02-02, 04:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Sorry to hear about that.

How about chroming the armrest? Sorry, just trying to cheer you up.

Like Dex says, I doubt it's ruined - try Lexol cleaner and then conditioner.

If it's really ruined, maybe you could get another armrest from a GS wreck (maybe xsuperjoex?).
Old 05-02-02, 04:32 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it still looks bad after the leather conditioner, ask Nalley, Hennesey, or Southside Lexus if they have a guy that does leather repair.

I had punched a dime sized hole in my rear door while moving a computer monitor. I didn't think it could EVER be the same without replacing the door panel.

I told my service guy at Butler Lexus in Macon and he has a guy that does leather repair and other stuff for the used cars, to get them ready for resale. He patched it right up and I seriously couldn't tell it was there...at all! Maybe they have something they can do for your armrest.

-nick
Old 05-02-02, 04:57 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

I hope you did not use an abrasive soap like Lava. I had a Stain on my car seat and used a little water then rubbed with my finger and the stain came out. But I have many coats of protection on it.
Old 05-02-02, 06:17 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

Default Lexol

I got some Lexol from the Pep Boys here in Charlotte. I am not sure if you guys have Pep Boys in the ATL but if you do, they should have it.
Old 05-02-02, 07:10 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Yeah, we've got PepBoys. Hey, DrRick, I've got some Zaino Leather in a bottle if you want to try it on your console.
Old 05-02-02, 07:31 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

Default Lexol

You can always get some on ebay. They have everything it seems.

Last edited by Static911; 05-03-02 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-02-02, 07:51 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Hey man let us know the outcome!!!
Old 05-02-02, 08:11 PM
PeteF
Driver School Candidate

Default Leather oops

Doc,
check out www.leatherique.com ; I think you may be able to lightly sand the entire top and then re-dye it to the original color. I know someone who did the steering wheel this way and it came out well. If this works you may have an even bigger problem......you may want to do all the leather surfaces! Best of luck......
Old 05-03-02, 07:54 AM
Wheels Boutique
Former sponsor

Doc,

I feel you pain i was using lexol on my arm rest and i just sprayed some globs on and started to clean the seat and left the console after i finished the seat i went to the arm rest and i have likw white bleach stains where the lexol was sittin i almost had a heart attack!!!! here is what i recommend.... Get lexol leather cleaner spray it on and spread it EVENLY all over the arm rest... Let it sit for a few minuties FEW like 1-2 then get a brush and scrub the whole arm rest softly and evenly this will hopefuly make the whole arm rest evenly clean and a BIT lighter due to the fact its soooo clean and it will hopefully break up the dirt build up and help the color match evenly...

It worked for me I no longer have the stains....
Old 05-03-02, 08:57 AM
gs300-101
Rookie

after reading this post, I too have noticed a dirty arm rest. I am kinda scared to clean it now.

Where do you get the lexol leather cleaner spray?
Old 05-03-02, 09:00 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Lexol you can get a finer car product places and I think Pep Boys carries them.

Since we're on the topic, how about "rips" on the side of the chairs? You know, after a car gets old, the sides of the chairs (especially the drivers seat) gets all wrinkly and has these rips. HOw do you get rid of those?

Ryan

Quick Reply: Cant effin believe I did this!!!!!!!!