GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weekend Mods – LSD & LCB

Old 04-14-02, 07:18 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Weekend Mods – LSD & LCB

WEEKEND MODS – LSD & LCB

Well guys, it was definitely a Handling Upgrade weekend for my GS, and let me tell you, it was worth it.

I tip my hat to gs4will for the transaction on the LSD, and to SuperJoe for the LCB.

Both were installed by my local dealer for ~$260 (straight labor) out the door; no issues at all during install. The LSD is a full rear end swap out, and the LCB is a OEN full swap out.

First, the LSD
I love it. It really seems to pull like a mother from a stop; very strong. I haven’t hit the rev limiter yet, but I’ve only given it at most ~75% throttle since yesterday and driving in D.

I took a few on ramps at greater than posted speeds, more so than usual , and I stayed puh-lan-ted. Very confidence inspiring; words like glued, railed, and planted, first come to mind.

I can break traction on one of the rear wheels for like half a second while pointed straight with a small stab of the throttle, but that’s it; I haven’t mashed it yet. I took some hard starts from dead stops while turning, and no wheel spin at all. Kinda weird once you’ve been conditioned to hear / feel / anticipate it, then its not there; the car just launches, and you hear the smooth transitions of the gears through the Borals. Music to my ears…..

Secondly, the LCB
IMHO, this should be one of the first suspension upgrades GS owners execute. Now, I’ve already had F&R sways and STBs for months now, so the effect may have been multiplied by those pieces, but this, to me, was one of those mods, that when you tried a normal move, like a turn at an intersection, that you’re like hey, that felt really good…let’s do some more

FLAT is probably the best word to use; adds to the point and shoot ability of handling.

Third, the 01 Taillights
Purely cosmetic; I like em a lot; not much to say; you boys know what they look like. If you want to see a pic on the Blue, holla and I’ll pop one up here. Yes, my 98s are already sold. J

A last small change – put my OEM grill back on since I’ve sold it, and will be awaiting the RMM grill in a few weeks, then will have it painted, so I’ll be stock grillin’ it for about a month I guess. J

That’s it for this weekend . I was going to do the ‘L’ on the steering wheel mod, but I ordered the incorrect size from SG, so back to the drawing board on that one.

Everyone have a safe and great week.

-D-
Old 04-14-02, 07:28 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats Dex on the new mods.. All you need now is SRT SC and you're all done..

With respect to the '01 tailights any issue with installing them or is it just plug and play.. I've heard many different things so your insight would be most appreciated..
Old 04-14-02, 07:34 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
With respect to the '01 tailights any issue with installing them or is it just plug and play?
It is totally plug and play.

Absolutely no question about it.

Took off my old ones & put on the new ones - same plug on the wiring hardess and everything. Bulbs are already in the suckers.

It is totally plug and play.

SC-

Last edited by ///MDex; 04-15-02 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-14-02, 09:05 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you enjoy your new mods, believe me its a never ending quest for perfection...
Old 04-14-02, 09:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Default Re: Weekend Mods – LSD & LCB

Originally posted by Dex
First, the LSD
I love it. It really seems to pull like a mother from a stop; very strong. I haven’t hit the rev limiter yet, but I’ve only given it at most ~75% throttle since yesterday and driving in D.
Congrats, Dex. The LSD you got is not the same gear ratio as the factory diff, right?
Old 04-14-02, 09:44 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Bit,

If memory serves me correct, Dex got the RMM LSD with the 3.76 gearing in it.
Old 04-15-02, 04:18 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awsome dude!!

thats some cool stuff you got!!

the LSD must be awsome!!
Old 04-15-02, 04:54 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
Bit,

If memory serves me correct, Dex got the RMM LSD with the 3.76 gearing in it.
Right - the ring gear is 3.76 vs. OEM of 3.23. And the diff is actually considered a Toyota OEM part; RMM is one of the sellers.

HTH
Old 04-15-02, 05:14 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dex,

You got your LSD from GS4Will?
Old 04-15-02, 08:57 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Hey Dex the next time I'm in N.C> I am gonna look you up! Maybe we can meet up and I can check out how it really rides.
Old 04-16-02, 12:54 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice Dex! Good to read reviews like that! Helps others understand the difference each part makes!
Old 04-16-02, 07:33 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Dex,
When I come up for the dyno weekend, I definitely would like a ride... if the waiting list isn't to long Sounds like that LSD would have really helped you out at the dragstrip huh?
Old 04-16-02, 08:11 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mumbles
Hey Dex,
When I come up for the dyno weekend, I definitely would like a ride... if the waiting list isn't to long Sounds like that LSD would have really helped you out at the dragstrip huh?
Sure thing on the ride! Helped? Heck yeah! I still needed to be smarter on launches and prepping the vbehicle, but it was a great learning experience.

Another benefit of the LSD is hopefully getting more of the available power to the groud. Not sure if that will translate to higher dyno numbers though....
Old 04-16-02, 08:46 AM
enginyr
Banned

I would like to know more about the LSD. Does this mean if you have 19's or 20' it lowers the gearing so that you have 16's or 17's again? Kinda confused to what it actually does. Or is it like positraction?

Thanks for the good deal on your lights. Your car must ryde on rails now.
Old 04-16-02, 10:48 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Dex, the mods sound awesome!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weekend Mods – LSD & LCB