GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Should I replace the GS400??Need Feedback!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 05:33 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
That's a lot of dough but not for a tranny rebuild. I would expect to pay 2-3k minimum even for a normal brand (Ford, Toyota).

You're in a tough spot. General rule of thumb when repairs are more than 25% of car value, get rid of it. But if you can't afford a rebuild, how can you get a new car?
Yeah im in a very tough spot. I have been playing out all the scenarios.If i was going to get a new car I wont have to invest 2400 dollars into it today and then spend probably another 2000 a few weeks later, etc. Im not sure what you do for a living but I dont have the money to just fork out like that on repairs without going the loan route. in the long run yes a new car would be more expensive but Im not sure about spending 2400 or better at one time and still have a car that cold have other issues and shell out more. I judt dont know a lot of people my age this day and time with that type of cash on hand to just give up for reapairs and not worry about the future. Are they hiring where you work at?lol
Old 08-18-09, 05:45 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You got your money's worth out of that baby. I think it's time to start anew. There are some good used deals out there. And your interior will be newer. More safety features. One thing I considered when selling my 98 and buying my 2001 was newer features and more safety features. Good Luck!
Old 08-18-09, 06:45 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ICEBERGS
Im stuck between a rock in a hard place. This past year it seems that all my years of not having trouble with the GS has come to an end. It seems like since Jan this year it has been issue after issue, valve cover gaskets, alternator, loud *** ticking which could possbly be the lifters according to the dealership, and now the transmission has decided to die on me in additon to already having solenoid problems the week before going out. The car has 226k miles on it and Im not sure if its worth just getting it all fixed or just get a car payment and get a used 06 GS430 or M45 sport. Im trying to weigh the pros and cons of this and Im kind of back and forth. The economy and my job are some of the concerns or cons of rather to buy or fix. It would help to hear feedback from a lot of you guys....
I'm kinda in the same boat I wanted to do the 2jzgte swap because my car is a 98 gs with 170k miles and I dont want to have to deal with the v8 problems in the future if they arise, now I was looking on evo 8's and 9's but my car is paid for and a carnote and the way the economy and job being they way they are are not guaranteed. So do the swap but make sure you get the best price for swap and installation. I'm not willing to paying 10k in swap and install before i do that ill get a evo on finance makes more sense but if I get resonable install prices i'll do the swap because you can get the motors for 2200-3000 complete swap being the 2200 and fwhole front clips for 3000-3200 so weigh your options. I personally would like a new car like you but trust me not having a car note is a blessing.
Old 08-18-09, 07:14 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sam430 has a great point. Try the C4C route.
Old 08-19-09, 05:52 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Right now the primary issue with the car is the tranny so that is what needs to be fixed first. I want to thank everyone for their great feedback and opinions with this issue. Either way I go I have to spend alot of money! Times like this make me wish I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago! Damn im so indecisive right now! and yes no car payment is a blessin, which is why this is such a hard decison to make!!! Once i get the transmission its off to valve cover gasket replacement along with valve adjustment to see if the lifter is good, then to getting the servo mode motor for climate control replaced. Does anyone know how expensive that job is, labor and parts, then its off to new tires and repairing the hood that just decided to start fading out of nowhere!!! All of this has happened in the course of 2 months except tires.lol!!!
Old 08-19-09, 09:24 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Great servo motor DYI on this site... FYI..

I would keep it... its a classic body style and if you stick the money in it will most likely go another 200!
Old 08-20-09, 12:50 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Right now the primary issue with the car is the tranny so that is what needs to be fixed first. I want to thank everyone for their great feedback and opinions with this issue. Either way I go I have to spend alot of money! Times like this make me wish I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago! Damn im so indecisive right now! and yes no car payment is a blessin, which is why this is such a hard decison to make!!! Once i get the transmission its off to valve cover gasket replacement along with valve adjustment to see if the lifter is good, then to getting the servo mode motor for climate control replaced. Does anyone know how expensive that job is, labor and parts, then its off to new tires and repairing the hood that just decided to start fading out of nowhere!!! All of this has happened in the course of 2 months except tires.lol!!!
Well if your gonna dump all that money in the car then maybe think about a new car in the future but make sure its something you want and will keep for awhile and enjoy. I miss driving 5spd cars and even thou the gs400 is nice looks good and is a grown up looking car I just dont feel the connection anymore.
Old 08-20-09, 09:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by japspec
Well if your gonna dump all that money in the car then maybe think about a new car in the future but make sure its something you want and will keep for awhile and enjoy. I miss driving 5spd cars and even thou the gs400 is nice looks good and is a grown up looking car I just dont feel the connection anymore.
sacrilegious sir....
Old 08-20-09, 10:32 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i got you covered, trans is ready to be delivered to you wed!!
Old 08-20-09, 03:36 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
sacrilegious sir....
Dont start
Old 08-21-09, 01:43 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
Great servo motor DYI on this site... FYI..
here you go
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html

Originally Posted by japspec
Dont start
Old 08-02-12, 01:12 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like my Dad always told me... "Either you are paying for it, or you are paying to fix it"

If you need a dependable car and cannot suffer the down time of an unreliable vehicle, then sell it and get something better. If you enjoy the car and can fix the car as it breaks, then do that.

I have 2 antique cars from the 70s that require constant attention and now my DD is a 99 GS400. I dont mind the maint problems with having a car with 210k because I can always park it and fix it at my own pace, but ultimately most cars are going to cost you to have.

Newer cars = higher insurance rates, higher taxes (in my state), car payments but you get more reliability (hopefully) lol
Old 08-02-12, 02:08 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I love how old threads are pulled out of no where.