GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Opinions needed 2003 GS 300 or 98 GS 300

Old 08-01-09, 08:52 AM
daintyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macsta
Dang this is a pretty tough one... I would go with the color i like (white) over little detail of 01+ stuff such as the new tails more updated interior and etc.... Everything else is replaceable so.. Also if you plan in modding the suspension no point getting a newer one because it's gonna be a different comfort after u swap it anyways. Good luck with your choice! I would go with the white because i had a black car in the past... not fun at all cleaning it. haha
The color is the only thing holding me back from really jumping in. I've had two black cars before and wanted white this time around. Black is my second choice but would be accepted. As far as suspension modding don't really think i would but then you never know. Thanks for the tips though.

Originally Posted by bigguppy
I would go with the black one. For a few thousand more that pretty much makes up for it in terms of the year difference. Also keep in mind that the older 98-99 have balljoin issue. The pluse side to the black car is its a sport design (better handleing) and its black interior! Cant go wrong.

You also mention that you like your car stock. Well looking at the picture of the white car it looks like the owner did some work on it.

Since your shopping around, maybe you want to take your time and look for a 2003 sport design with saddle interior. That would be a awsome choice!
Great points, I wish i could find one with a saddle interior in my area. It seems like in my area everyone is a GS Lover and no one is really trying to give these cars up unless they are old with really high mileage. Cant blame them though.

wow the Black 03 has been getting an overwhelming lot of support

Last edited by daintyboy; 08-01-09 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-01-09, 11:27 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Why are you getting rid of your current GS?
Old 08-01-09, 12:32 PM
csq860
Pole Position

It's not often I see guys going from a GS4 to a GS3 unless they have plans to boost it, which you don't. Why not look for another GS4?

The other thing that puzzles me, why is a higher mileage car considered to have less wear and tear just because it's 5 years newer. Assuming proper maintenance and storage (and if you're not doing those you should just stick with what you've got probably) doesn't wear and tear only come from driving the car, and if that's correct wouldn't a car with 14k more miles have more wear and tear regardless of year? I get the comments about stronger control arms and better stock ride, that makes good sense to me, but the wear and tear comments not so much. Mind you this is coming from someone who recently sold a mint '98 GS400 with 58k miles, but only after losing several potential buyers who paid more than I was asking for newer models with much higher miles.

Sorry to take your thread in a different direction but I'm just really curious about the thought process of this whole year vs. mileage thing. That aside I'll throw in a vote for the white GS300 and a strong suggestion that you drive both, preferably back to back, cuz no two cars drive just alike and you should go with whatever feels best to your particular behind.
Old 08-01-09, 01:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by csq860
The other thing that puzzles me, why is a higher mileage car considered to have less wear and tear just because it's 5 years newer. Assuming proper maintenance and storage (and if you're not doing those you should just stick with what you've got probably) doesn't wear and tear only come from driving the car, and if that's correct wouldn't a car with 14k more miles have more wear and tear regardless of year?
Generally, newer cars that have more mileages are due to highway driving. Highway driving puts a lot less wear on your car than city driving. For example, my mother's 2005 Honda Odyssey has only 13k miles, but it usually sees 1-2 mile round trip in the city every single day. That's a lot of stop and go in such a short distance. However, my friend's 2005 Lexus ES330 already has 98k miles. I highly doubt you can accumulate 98k miles of city driving in just 4 years

But that's just the mechanical side. Rubber ages with time. I'd feel a lot more confident in the 03 timing belt than the 98 even though it has 14k more miles.
Old 08-01-09, 01:56 PM
daintyboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
Why are you getting rid of your current GS?
My GS is in decent condition but scratches here and there a couple of dings too so I wanted to get one in pristine cosmetic condition. Was going to get a 2004 BMW 545 but through research found out about the reliability issues, electrical problems and headaches that come with one especially when out of warranty so i decided to go with something that i already know well.

It's not often I see guys going from a GS4 to a GS3 unless they have plans to boost it, which you don't. Why not look for another GS4?

The other thing that puzzles me, why is a higher mileage car considered to have less wear and tear just because it's 5 years newer. Assuming proper maintenance and storage (and if you're not doing those you should just stick with what you've got probably) doesn't wear and tear only come from driving the car, and if that's correct wouldn't a car with 14k more miles have more wear and tear regardless of year? I get the comments about stronger control arms and better stock ride, that makes good sense to me, but the wear and tear comments not so much. Mind you this is coming from someone who recently sold a mint '98 GS400 with 58k miles, but only after losing several potential buyers who paid more than I was asking for newer models with much higher miles.

Sorry to take your thread in a different direction but I'm just really curious about the thought process of this whole year vs. mileage thing. That aside I'll throw in a vote for the white GS300 and a strong suggestion that you drive both, preferably back to back, cuz no two cars drive just alike and you should go with whatever feels best to your particular behind.

That was a concern of mine initially but to be honest i'm not a speed driver i'm more of luxury driver. My first choice is a white GS 430 but can't find any anywhere. I still am keeping my eye out for a 430 in the mean time but none so far in my area especially comparable to the 2003 GS300 that i am currently interested in. The one 430 that i did see was a salvaged titled one and someone also in nyc posted in this thread to leave it alone they apparently knew something about it.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Generally, newer cars that have more mileages are due to highway driving. Highway driving puts a lot less wear on your car than city driving. For example, my mother's 2005 Honda Odyssey has only 13k miles, but it usually sees 1-2 mile round trip in the city every single day. That's a lot of stop and go in such a short distance. However, my friend's 2005 Lexus ES330 already has 98k miles. I highly doubt you can accumulate 98k miles of city driving in just 4 years

But that's just the mechanical side. Rubber ages with time. I'd feel a lot more confident in the 03 timing belt than the 98 even though it has 14k more miles.
Great points
Old 08-01-09, 05:52 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg

Yes I agree, good points GSteg. Of course with the mileage being pretty much a wash he could just use a part of the $4k difference to get the timing belt changed on the '98 and live worry free for the next 90k miles, but that's not really the point, the highway/city thing certainly is a consideration.
Old 08-01-09, 06:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes I agree, good points GSteg. Of course with the mileage being pretty much a wash he could just use a part of the $4k difference to get the timing belt changed on the '98 and live worry free for the next 90k miles, but that's not really the point, the highway/city thing certainly is a consideration.
Indeed he could use part of the $4k to do the timing belt, But we must not forget there are lots of rubber components in our cars. Suspension bushings, shocks, engine/transmission mounts, etc. In the end, he might burn up all that $4k just to get it in the same condition as the 03. In that case, he might as well go with the 03.

Another thing to look at is rock chips and paint condition. Age may fade paint a little bit if not well taken care of. Plus rock chips over the years can add up quickly.
Old 08-02-09, 11:38 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

So you're going to sell a car that has a few blemishes, but you know the history of, to get get a car that you have no idea where it's been?

Sorry. That doesn't sound like a very smart thing to do. It would probably be more cost effective to have your car's paint and body fixed. At least you are more aware of the mechanical history of your current driver.
Old 08-02-09, 01:17 PM
daintyboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
So you're going to sell a car that has a few blemishes, but you know the history of, to get get a car that you have no idea where it's been?

Sorry. That doesn't sound like a very smart thing to do. It would probably be more cost effective to have your car's paint and body fixed. At least you are more aware of the mechanical history of your current driver.

Not only that but i wanted to get a newer model GS. Thanks for all the opionions, they all helped me to make my decision today. Went to see both cars today. The 98 white GS was nice had the rear view cam installed, speakers, intake, 06 Gs wheels however you can tell that their was some work done on the body because the color wasn't all white. The front and back bumpers were a cream color giving the car a two tone look that i didn't like. When i drove it, it felt much better than my GS400 and very similar to the 03 GS. The sound from the muffler was sick. Very nice well taken care of car.
The Black 03 was stock, new brakes, under the hood and interior were clean, one of the doors had a little ding hard to notice but i did, minor little scratch from everyday driving. Driving the 03 was sweet. They really made a lot of improvements in the handling and feel from the 98. Major difference. In the end decided to go with the Black 03 will be picking it up this week.

Immediate things to customize are 1) Wheels can't decided yet between 20' s or 18's 2) Rear view back up camera (some info on this much appreciated) 3) Body shop to get out the little ding/ scratch.