GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone got a bike rack on their GS???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 12:36 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha ha thanks!
Old 08-11-09, 04:18 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it only took me like 20-30 minutes to install. It would have been faster if I had someone else hold up the other side while I bolted it back up. Plus it didn't help that it was like 100+ deg outside. I think I could have done it in 15 prob. All you need to install it is a socket set, socket wrench, and a socket extention

I also got a hitch lock so I don't have to unhook the hitch and lock it in the trunk when I go riding. Which is nice since I didn't realize this thing was so honking heavy duty. I went ahead and also picked up a couple of anti-sway hangers for the bike rack too.

I haven't actually used it yet since I just got it.. but I'm just curious how much sway I might have with 4 bikes loaded. The hitch is sturdy enough but I can only imagine that with the weight back there, I might notice a difference while driving.
Old 08-11-09, 04:41 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

This may be a next option for me other than the roof rack. I also worry about scratching my paint either loading or unloading the bike up top on the rack.
Old 08-11-09, 09:27 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by magnetik
yeah it only took me like 20-30 minutes to install. It would have been faster if I had someone else hold up the other side while I bolted it back up. Plus it didn't help that it was like 100+ deg outside. I think I could have done it in 15 prob. All you need to install it is a socket set, socket wrench, and a socket extention

I also got a hitch lock so I don't have to unhook the hitch and lock it in the trunk when I go riding. Which is nice since I didn't realize this thing was so honking heavy duty. I went ahead and also picked up a couple of anti-sway hangers for the bike rack too.

I haven't actually used it yet since I just got it.. but I'm just curious how much sway I might have with 4 bikes loaded. The hitch is sturdy enough but I can only imagine that with the weight back there, I might notice a difference while driving.
Good info to know there. I might use a hydraulic jack to hold it in place while I get the bolts in if I get mine. Thanks for the link BTW. I've viewed sakataj's photos but I wanted to see a lower dead-on rear shot. My car is silver and I know the trailer hitch is black (which helps with discreteness), but I'm hoping it won't stick out like a sore thumb when I'm driving around town. If you ever get around to it, that would be awesome.

Oh, and about the 4 bikes, I heard our cars can do wheelies under hard acceleration. J/K

On a more serious note, I don't think the drag resistance would be increased too much as opposed to a roof mounted bike rack. The extra weight of four bicycles would probably add an additional 100-110 lbs. I'm guessing minus the carrier and hitch itself. But that extra weight is so far back at the rear of the car that you might feel a difference.

Keep us updated!
Old 08-17-09, 06:46 PM
dmc_maine
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1-1/4" hitch mounted bike rack. I bought the hitch online and my mechanic installed it. I like the hitch type because it is hardly noticeable when not in use. The 4 bike rack I bought from Amazon and it works great for my purposes. With the hitch bike racks you have quite a few more options to choose from.
I will admit that roof racks do look good when you have a bike (or bikes) mounted on them but a hitch setup can be much less expensive and more flexible.
Old 08-18-09, 12:56 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

told you it was easy to install. i did mine in the pit at a buddies jiffy lube. hope you like it. post some pics of it l8r when you get your rack loaded.
Old 08-18-09, 02:12 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

pics pics pics pics pics pics???????????????
Old 08-19-09, 10:03 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
told you it was easy to install. i did mine in the pit at a buddies jiffy lube. hope you like it. post some pics of it l8r when you get your rack loaded.
will do. I am actually out of town in Reno for business.. but planned on upping some pics with my bikes loaded when I get back.

There was some play in the hitch so I purchased a anti-sway bracket that goes over the hitch to tighten it down a bit. It should be there by the time I get back home.. along with my new windows visors.
Old 08-20-09, 09:12 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

will do. I am actually out of town in Reno for business.. but planned on upping some pics with my bikes loaded when I get back.

There was some play in the hitch so I purchased a anti-sway bracket that goes over the hitch to tighten it down a bit. It should be there by the time I get back home.. along with my new windows visors.
cool....now stay away from the bunny ranch
Old 08-22-09, 07:34 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
cool....now stay away from the bunny ranch
yah.. never realized it was near Reno. lol

Here's a great pdf illustration on how to install the hitch on a GS3/4 + part #'s and sizes Link for anyone that's wondering.

I drilled out another hole in the rack so I can lock it in further. Worked out great, just used a 1/2" drill bit and used the hitch a guide. I also got my anti-wobble hitch adapter however I'm not digging it so much. I think i'm gonna go with a hitch vice. Looks like it would work better. Don't get me wrong .. it doesn't move a bunch.. I'm just a little ocd.

I will post pics tomorrow since I plan on riding. It was beautiful today but I had to go to work for a bit.

Last edited by magnetik; 08-22-09 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-22-09, 07:44 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Very useful links. Thanks! That install pdf will come in handy soon when I purchase the trailer hitch + bike carrier.
Old 10-11-09, 08:29 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

I know it's been a while but here's a pic after I drilled a deeper hole in the hitch so it could scoot the rack back about 4". worked great. The anti wobble bracket worked "ok". I had to bend it a bit. I can still open my trunk too. I have more pics but I have to leave right now for Chicago.. post more when I get back.

Last edited by magnetik; 10-11-09 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-13-09, 01:51 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its finally on but i havent put the fairing on just yet... raining like hella today haha
Old 10-13-09, 02:56 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

looking good. i've decided to take mine off indefinately
Old 10-13-09, 04:24 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS300ToM

its finally on but i havent put the fairing on just yet... raining like hella today haha
Looks very good & clean Is it easy to mount that rack on?

Quick Reply: Anyone got a bike rack on their GS???