GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone got a bike rack on their GS???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 07:16 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Thanks for the info. I will probably look for a used "good" condition one. Did you ever have the hitch mount bike carrier on your GS? I've been searching all over the internet for photos but could not find any.
I don't have a GS -- currently I'm driving a 2000 LS400 after driving a 1990 LS400 from new until I bought my current car ... used the same hitch bike rack on both countless times.

I didn't notice a photo of a hitch bike rack on a GS - there may be one - but there are hundreds of photos of hitch bike racks on vehicles at http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...tart=0&ndsp=20

My favorite photos are of hitch bike racks on a BMW Z4 and a Porsche Boxster. If those cars can have a hitch bike rack, I think your GS will handle one just fine.

Last edited by Kansas; 08-09-09 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-09-09, 01:18 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I don't have a GS -- currently I'm driving a 2000 LS400 after driving a 1990 LS400 from new until I bought my current car ... used the same hitch bike rack on both countless times.

I didn't notice a photo of a hitch bike rack on a GS - there may be one - but there are hundreds of photos of hitch bike racks on vehicles at http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...tart=0&ndsp=20

My favorite photos are of hitch bike racks on a BMW Z4 and a Porsche Boxster. If those cars can have a hitch bike rack, I think your GS will handle one just fine.
Is there any brand you would recommend in particular? I've seen a few such as Thule and Yakima. How difficult is to attach and detach the bar from the receiver on yours? Or do you keep the bike carrier attached at all times even when you are not transporting your bikes? I'm looking for a hitch mount bike carrier that I can attach and detach fairly easy.
Old 08-09-09, 01:44 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Is there any brand you would recommend in particular? I've seen a few such as Thule and Yakima. How difficult is to attach and detach the bar from the receiver on yours? Or do you keep the bike carrier attached at all times even when you are not transporting your bikes? I'm looking for a hitch mount bike carrier that I can attach and detach fairly easy.
From looking in bike shops last year when I decided to not replace my old trusty cheap hitch rack with a newer fancier one, it looked like all the hitch bike racks were of decent quality. You can see reviews via Google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...q=f&oq=&aqi=g1

The reviews might help you understand the various features. Your GS doesn't have a liftback or tailgate so you won't need a rack that articulates in order to open your trunk. My rack stands well away from the car. Besure to verify that the rack you buy has a long enough stem (or whatever it is called) that inserts into the hitch receiver and allows the bike rack to clear the rear bumper. Extensions are available if its not long enough.

My hitch bike rack takes less than a minute to install or remove from the hitch receiver on my car. I use a locking pin to secure the rack to the hitch receiver. My cheap rack doesn't include locks for the bikes so I use a couple of locking plastic coated metal cables to lock the bikes to the hitch receiver -- I wind the cables through the bike frames and wheels. Probably someone could defeat all the locks but they, like any locks, are really meant only to keep semi-honest people from opportunistic theft. We often leave our bikes on the rack while shopping on the way back from a ride and have never lost anything -- even accessories on the bikes that are easy to take.

I never leave the bike rack on the car when not in use -- don't want someone hitting the rack instead of my rear bumper.

A bike store is a good place to see hitch racks -- one near me has quite a big selection.

Last edited by Kansas; 08-09-09 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 08:29 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hit up sports chalet or the like to check out the racks
they usually have it on display; at least the one near my house does
Old 08-10-09, 01:25 AM
sleeper408

Thanks for the help guys, especially you Kansas. Your posts have been very insightful. All the info. you've explained is what I'm looking for in a hitch mount bike carrier. I too will only be having the stem attached when I'm actually transporting the bikes. And the fact that it takes you only a minute to attach/detach is awesome! I won't opt for a bike carrier with the tilt feature like you've mentioned since it is not necessary.

Does anyone out there know if the 2GS uses a 2" receiver or different size?
Old 08-10-09, 03:01 AM
sleeper408

Looks like I have to buy this first before I buy the hitch mount bike carrier huh?

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...n/CT11238.html
Old 08-10-09, 09:02 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Looks like I have to buy this first before I buy the hitch mount bike carrier huh?

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...n/CT11238.html
Yes, you have to have a trailer hitch before you can use a hitch mounted bike rack.

sakataj recently sold a used one for a GS on this forum -- he was asking $100: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ilor-ball.html

I see new hitches for the 98-05 GS on eBay from Hitch Direct today for $162 + $24 shipping.

I'm surprised these things have gotten so expensive. I've seen some better deals including free shipping but don't see any specials now -- never hurts to ask for a lower price ... the worst they can say is "no".
Old 08-10-09, 12:32 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought that hitch from sakataj off the fs/t. It's a curt model 11238. It seemed like a great deal for $100 shipped. I will post pics tonight of the setup along with my Swagman XT4 bike rack. It's has a 1.25" hitch. To install the hitch.. I just had to remove the bolts that hold the hangers for the muffler and bolt the hitch back in place. Pretty easy.. a little tougher with one person doing it though.

Last edited by magnetik; 08-10-09 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 12:50 PM
sleeper408

magnetik: Please post pics when you get them up. I would like to see what the complete setup looks like on a 2GS.

Kansas: The required components (trailer hitch + locking pin + bike carrier) do cost quite a bit when you add it up.

Of course the trunk mounted carrier is much more cost efficient, but my biggest gripes with that system is: 1) You can't lock up the bikes in case the car is left unattended. 2) You cannot gain access to the trunk during transport. 3) The front wheels will likely scrape the paint on my trunk lid and rear bumper.

What to do....
Old 08-10-09, 01:10 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

magnetik: Please post pics when you get them up. I would like to see what the complete setup looks like on a 2GS.
I'll have some up when I get home. I almost think my Swagman XT4 rack is a little too heavy duty for me. This thing is huge. I think it was designed for trucks/suvs since it can be tilted. I still might get a smaller one for personal use. (but I like the fact that the bikes sit far away from my car but I think I may tap another hole for the hitch to be able to scoot it in a little bit more.)

Last edited by magnetik; 08-10-09 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 03:47 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

here yall go.

Last edited by magnetik; 08-10-09 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 10:45 PM
sleeper408

Cool, thanks for the pics. Yeah, we definitely don't need that tilt feature since we don't have a lift gate or hatchback. When you get the chance later, can you take some more photos of the just the trailer hitch? I'm interested in what it looks like without the bike carrier attached.
Old 08-11-09, 10:03 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

Cool, thanks for the pics. Yeah, we definitely don't need that tilt feature since we don't have a lift gate or hatchback. When you get the chance later, can you take some more photos of the just the trailer hitch? I'm interested in what it looks like without the bike carrier attached.
sakataj had some pics of just the hitch..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ilor-ball.html
Old 08-11-09, 10:24 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing Magnetik. I've never seen a bike hitch setup on a GS. Did u install it on your own and is it bolted or welded on?
Old 08-11-09, 11:32 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Thanks for sharing Magnetik. I've never seen a bike hitch setup on a GS. Did u install it on your own and is it bolted or welded on?
Magnetik answered your question in an earlier post:

Originally Posted by magnetik
I bought that hitch from sakataj off the fs/t. It's a curt model 11238. It seemed like a great deal for $100 shipped. I will post pics tonight of the setup along with my Swagman XT4 bike rack. It's has a 1.25" hitch. To install the hitch.. I just had to remove the bolts that hold the hangers for the muffler and bolt the hitch back in place. Pretty easy.. a little tougher with one person doing it though.

Quick Reply: Anyone got a bike rack on their GS???