GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SuperCharged GS400 vs 2001 Camero SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-02, 08:17 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking SuperCharged GS400 vs 2001 Camero SS

I FINALLY GOT HIM!!! LOL

Prelude:
There is a black Camero SS that I see around my area that is VERY distinct. It has a hugh air scoop in the hood, hugh exhaust pipes that exit in the middle of the rear end (like the C5), chrome spoked rims, and that distinctive red SS on the sides. It seemed that I am ALWAYS seeing this car either on the highway. or on the streets. Balling from the light, lighting up his tires, or cutting in and out of traffic.

The Race:
Well, yesterday I decided to leave early from work, and drop by SRT to check out the dyno, and maybe sneak a run on it. But first I needed to go home. So I am headed home, and at ever light (no traffic), I am practicing my takeoffs so that I can get my shifts right, and stop hitting the rev limiter (2nd to 3rd on eshift). Well, I am at a red light (in the middle lane of a 3 lane) waiting for it to change, when this same black SS comes blowing by me in the right lane having timed the light just as it turned green. So of course I speed up to catch him, which I do at the next light (there is a straight away for over a mile before the next light). He is in the left lane, I am in the right. He revs up his engine, and I let off the brake, and e-shift to 2nd, and wait. We are both looking at the green light on the other side of the street, as soon as it turns yellow. I look ahead, and our light turns green. We both hit it. He has lots of wheelspin, and I get him by a car length. I immediately e-shift to 3rd, let off the gas a little, then on again HARD (I NOW know NOT to WOT it in 3rd without 1st letting off the gas!!!). He finally grips, and his car is at my back window, but I am pulling pass him little by little. Boost is at 5lbs. He must have shifted, because he went back to where I can see him in my mirror. I e-shift again also. Now I am in 4th, and I WOT it. He is further from my back door, and again I start pulling on him (harder)as my boost gauge is now near 8lbs. Now he is behind me to where I see the front of his car clearly. We are locked there, and I hit my hazards quickly. It is time for me to shift again, but the next light is coming up, so I shut her down, and he goes by me. (BUT I HAD ALREADY HIT MY HAZARDS). We end up at the light again. And I can see he is DEEP CONCENTRATION for the next light to change). The light turns green, and again he has wheelspin, and I jump to 1 length again, then 2 car lengths and going. (This time I had a VERY good jump!) He obviously had shut it down after spinning out again. So I shut it down, tapped the brakes three times, and keep going. I was so AMPED after that, I totally forgot about going to SRT. I know dude is wondering HOW IN THE HELL DID I GET CUT BY A FRIKIN LEXUS???

You gotta love it! LOL

Lee

KILL COUNT: CLK430, MUSTANG GT, modded BiTurbo S4, CAMERO SS

UP NEXT (races provided by friends): STOCK M5 ($1000), STOCK C5 ($1000), STOCK CLK55 (braggin' rights)

Last edited by LexCiting; 03-26-02 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-26-02, 08:30 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That absolutely rocks.

All this little nit-pickin over a HP here, and a# Tq there...dude, light to light, toe to toe, that says it all.

It IS all in the driver.

I tip my hat to a GS that can hang with a SS

I wish my Blue was as fast as your Blue

Maybe someday
Old 03-26-02, 08:33 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome is the word! Can't wait to see you smoke the other cars you've lined up.
Old 03-26-02, 08:47 AM
ocnbrzz
Driver

Great Re-cap! I really felt like I was right there the way you describe it. Good Job!

Seems like you not only beat the SS cleanly, you did it with class.

Again, well done.
Old 03-26-02, 08:57 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Great kill. Was the race long, only a few min of "lexiting" hee hee?. I am keep running out of road to run everytime I gun my car, after awhile, I don't drive my car hard anymore, because I have to brake it right the way, that's sux. I guess Austin is pretty small.

I just wondering, why can't you put in a shift light in your car, will that tell you when to shift at your preset RPM?

I don't have a SC like you, but I hit the rev a couple times, I am thinking about getting a shift light (conseal it somewhere not too obvious, but still visible) I have not seen anyone on CL has this, just wondering.
Old 03-26-02, 09:08 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BananaGS
....I am thinking about getting a shift light ......
Dude, that would be so trick.

Imagine the looks / props you'd get - A GS with a shift light.

Sweet
Old 03-26-02, 09:40 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Thanks fellas!

BananaGS - Yes, I was definitely running out of road, and I was in triple digits by the time I was in 4th. So I shut it down, partly for safety reasons too. My POWER gear seems to be 4th gear. It pulls very hard (I can feel the back moving a little), and the speed gets up to the 100+mph quickly.

Dex - I am right there with you on that point! Light to Light "stats" is what I want to hear about!

I think even if he had traction, I would have either pulled him in quickly, or it would end the same with him trying to catch up. I read that those SS's have 345hp, compared to 310hp for the regulart Z28.

It was "LexCiting" to say the less! LOL Especially since that is a "REAL" sports car, and I didn't know if, and when he would come by me, and pass me.

Lee

Last edited by LexCiting; 03-26-02 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-26-02, 09:44 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great kill and nice writeup!!!!!
Old 03-26-02, 09:52 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

BananaGS,

I wondered the same thing. But it seems that the ECU still has control over some of the shifting even when I put it into e-shift.
A shift light would be sweet!!!!

Hopefully someone will finish with a tranny ecu, so that all I have to do is hit the gas, and not worry about rev limits, and shifting. It would be even sweeter if some company could somehow use the POWER button with the tranny ecu, so that when I want to race someone I can put it into POWER mode and the shifting would shift in a "race" mode. Then you could put it into NORMAL mode, so that you can cruise with the "LEXUS" ride quality. And to use the MANUAL e-shift to bypass the new Tranny ECU, and let you control the shifting. I can dream can't I?!?!?!?! lol
Old 03-26-02, 11:47 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default NICE......

OH I LOVE IT!!!

UP NEXT (races provided by friends): STOCK M5 ($1000), STOCK C5 ($1000), STOCK CLK55 (braggin' rights)
please of please elaborate
Old 03-26-02, 12:05 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Lee - So when is that race (M-5) I would love to see it....LOL also did you get by Mo's for your numbers....I bet you pushing 380 - 390 @ the tires if not more.:eek:
Old 03-26-02, 12:48 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Actually I just got off the phone with Moe. I will probably run my car this weekend to see the what numbers I have. Also he will be fine tuning my car, and adjusting the fuel management ECU, to get rid of any flat points. Probably Sat or Sun.
Old 03-26-02, 12:51 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

How are you going to beat an M5 13.0 1/4 mile time?????
Old 03-26-02, 12:59 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CSHFLW
How are you going to beat an M5 13.0 1/4 mile time?????
Hit the accelerator, duh
Old 03-26-02, 01:10 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Dex - LOL

CSHFLW - I don't have any worries about the M5. Don't believe all of those numbers for BMW. Where did you get that number?
I have the 2002 M5 specs from the Offical BMW web site as:
0-50 in 4.8
13.5 in the 1/4
Top speed 155mph
394 HP at the crank
368 TQ

Remember those 1/4 & 0-60 numbers are made by professional race car drivers. I will be up against a "regular" joe driving a stick.

My GS is built to CRUSH that car! LOL I will post my rwhp/crank HP as soon as I get them, and put them in my profile. I am looking for over 400 hp at the rear!
Lee

Last edited by LexCiting; 03-26-02 at 01:13 PM.