GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My car still shakes at 65-75 MPH after.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 01:17 PM
tarnut77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed Caster arms, Ball joints , tie rod ends, steering rack bushings, had them road force balanced and on the car balanced twice. then I took it to another shop to balance and they came and got me as soon as the spun the wheels to show me the tires were out of round. I was very disappointed the first shop took my money twice, and even when I asked if the tires and wheels were true, they said they were fine. I have the Bridgestone Potenza 960AS tires. I swear they change shape from day to day. Next time Michelin PS2's. The vibration just hasn't gotten bad enough to make me put down $$$ for the Michelins.
Old 05-21-09, 02:38 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

some people would do such things tho... when i got my tires flipped they should of told me that my rims wouldnt balance right but instead stead they just slapped it on and i was on my way shaking again o yeah they recommend me tires haha i was liek fawk that... over pricing everything
Old 05-22-09, 10:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tarnut77
The vibration just hasn't gotten bad enough to make me put down $$$ for the Michelins.
mine did. but with the new michelins im almost 100% good
Michelin energy mxv4's

great tires
Old 05-23-09, 10:54 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got new tires mounted today but .....

mine is doing the same thing

Last edited by handoverfi; 05-24-09 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-26-09, 07:24 PM
cpone
There can only be One

After all the problems people have been having with this shaking, you would think that Lexus would have issued a recall. Cause damn this is ridiculous.

I am having new tires put on tomorrow. Getting my alignment and lifting my car to a two finger gap as well. I am also going to tighten the rack.

I have done tie rods and ball joints so I am out of **** to do at this point. Sometimes I feel like just selling my GS I swear.
Old 05-29-09, 04:34 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

whats ur update on that CPone???
Old 06-09-09, 10:45 PM
1FastGS4
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration as well

I have a 99 gs400 with the same problem. My car vibrates between 70 and 80mph. It starts at like 73 and gets worse up untill 81-83. Then it goes away. I got my wheels balanced, the guy at the shop said they werent that much off balance but said they did fix it. I jumped back on the freeway and it still does it. My car only has 68,000 miles on it.
Old 06-09-09, 11:01 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Yep, most techs tend to not do the tire balancing correctly when using sticky weights. Then end up add too much weight on the rims which makes it shakes as the wheel spins faster.
Old 06-10-09, 06:30 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Ahhh... misery loves company and I sure do seem to have company!

00' GS400 with wheel shake from 55-65mph, some days worse than others. I've discussed this on other threads but since this seems to be a compilation I'll add my fun times in here.

Let's see... I've had an alignment, my wheels have been balanced no less than 4 times by three different machines, each time they are off a little. The problem gets better for a day or two then comes back to haunt me. It does shake even with the stockers just not as bad.

I have had the front end checked out by two different shops. One gave a clean bill of health, the other said I needed a rotor cut which might cause it but everything else was tight. Cut the rotor, rebalanced tires, good for exactly one day.

Had the hubcentric rings verified to be correct as well. My last resort is having the front tires road force balanced today.

It KILLS me that here I have a top of the line luxury car and my wifes $3,000 station beater which I've done almost nothing to, rides better than my car!

Last edited by gs4004gs; 06-10-09 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 06:47 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Looks like everyones feeling the same way i did when i had my shaking vibrations, this is crazy

What cured my was -

1. Road forced balanced (found wheels bent, off balance and bubbled tires)
2. Got bent wheels fixed into specs..(Road forced again)
3. New OEM ball joints (driver and passenger)
4. New OEM caster arms (LCA #2 driver and passenger)
5. Daizen steering rack bushings
6. Now it super smooth like the first day i bought it haha

Good luck guys.... hope this helps

EDIT: 7. Got new tires as well haha 225/35/19 Front 245/35/19 Rear

Last edited by GS300ToM; 06-10-09 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 07:24 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300ToM
Looks like everyones feeling the same way i did when i had my shaking vibrations, this is crazy

What cured my was -

Man that sucks you had to do all that just to get it to drive without the shakes.
Old 06-10-09, 08:30 AM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS300ToM

What cured my was -

How much did the above cost you?

One time I was driving on the freeway heading home from the bars/clubs and had this hot chick sitting shotgun. The vibration was so bad that she said "can you make your car stop doing that, it's making have to pee really bad!" :P

Nothing is more embarrassing then having people in your car for the first time and then getting on the freeway and having them say "wtf is that vibration?" I tell them that it's a complimentary full body massage, just lean all the way back in your seat and enjoy.

Sometimes I'll just lie and tell people I just hit a 2x4 on the road the other day and it threw my balancing off and havn't had time to fix it. Pretty much I just try to avoid the freeways at all costs if people are in my car, but if I do take the freeways I've found out that by keep the windows down and cranking up the 2000rms system helps drown out the vibration and make it less noticable

Last edited by SHiZNiLTi; 06-10-09 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 08:54 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by McKrevice
Man that sucks you had to do all that just to get it to drive without the shakes.
I know it sucks but hell i needed a major change in my suspension with 100K.... i bought new coilovers and since i was down there, why not change out the ball joint caster n rack bushings right?

[quote=SHiZNiLTi;4591707]How much did the above cost you?

Overall let me see

Before
Stock 17 (just bought new tires as well) STILL SHAKES WTF??
got them balance 5-7 times and still shakes (read up on my previous pages) that was pretty bad
i was gonna give up on it

After

Roadforce balance twice was $50
ball joints- $120
casters- $220 i think
rack bushing- $40
coilovers- $860
wheels & new tires- $2600
hub rings - $15
fenders rolled- FREE
LABOR- FREE all done by me haha

ALL that just to ride VIP wtf lol its all worth it... its drives like it never drove before...SMOOOOOTH has hell haha

Any concern or comments..... please feel free to post
Old 06-10-09, 09:12 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

GS300Tom:
the OEM ball joints you bought are you talking about the lower ball joints?

Dara
Old 06-10-09, 09:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys its all about the rims. Forget ball joints and bushings, these will not cause vibrations, they can only create loose steering feel, and multiply vibrations. But all vibrations originate at the wheels. As far as brake rotors they only cause vibrations during braking.

Now, a lot of people have bent wheels without realizing it. Not many machines are able to detect bent wheels, and even if machines have the capability, most grease monkeys that operate them don't know how to do it.

Todays lightweight alloy rims, even the OEM ones, get bent very easily. If you have low profile tires, hit a pothole and u're guaranteed to bend your rim. I personally bent about five factory 17" rims, and opted to install taller profile tires (235/55/17). I have absolutely zero vibrations.

For anyone who drives on 19's or up, thats just insane, and these will bend on the first pothole you hit. Especially if they are lightweight. Another concern is stretched tires - you can actually spin your rim inside the tire (when taking off hard or braking hard), throwing yout balance off. You can do it with proper sized tires as well, but that takes a lot of torque.

So like I said, first check your rims. New OEM rims can be had for very cheap, and I do not recommend anything over 17". Next thing to check is tires. Cheap tires, especially when they are low profile, can often be out of round - but thats unlikely with good brands like Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop, etc. Keep in mind however that tires need to be rebalanced after a while as they wear out. I recommend bringing your car to a good tire shop that has a Hunter 9700 balancing machine, request them to take off all of the old weights (a lot of them will just balance your wheels with old weights still on if u dont request it and watch them do it), check roundness of rim tire, and rebalancing them. You can spend extra for road force balancing, but usually regular balancing is good enough for speed less than 120mph. If your car still shakes after regular balancing (assuming its done right), theres most likely to be a problem with the rim/tire, and RF balancing wont cure it.

After all of this said and done, this is where the rest of the suspension comes into play. Lexus designed this suspension and steering system with a lot of joints and bushings. So even if you have the slightest bit of a shake at the wheels, it probably wont be felt on other cars, but on the GS it will be felt because the shake will multiply through loose ball joints, loose tie rods, loose steering rack, and loose joint in the steering column. For instance the same wheels that were causing a slight bit of vibrations on my GS are now on my LS, and there are no vibrations to be felt at all.

Quick Reply: My car still shakes at 65-75 MPH after.....