GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stock camber adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 12:44 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedidiah

2) The 2nd way is to run an aggressive wheel setup, but with a stretched tire and camber in so that the top of the lip lines with the fender, while the bottom is cambered out, thus giving the aggressive appearance. This look is only achieved if you car is "slammed" vs. "lowered."
Yeah my rear coils are maxxed out and the I have about 27-28mm of space between the wheel wall and the shaved fender, and I'm putting in 25mm spacers. I think it will work.
Old 05-05-09, 03:59 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Here's my results:
Left Front Right Front
Camber: -2.5 -2.0
Caster: 8.7 9.2
Toe: 0.7 0.8
Cross Camber: -0.5
Cross Caster:-0.6
Total Toe: .14

Left Rear Right Rear
Camber: -2.8 -2.6
Toe: -.21 0

Total Toe: -.21
Thrust Angle: -0.11

This is after the alignment, any reason to why nothing is even?
Old 05-05-09, 05:32 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tire life is based soley on the "look" in which you are trying to achieve. You can cut your fenders and get your wheels flush with the fender line, but without the negative camber of the wheels "coming back in" and lining with the fenders, you are not going to have the aggressive look you are hoping for.

RMM's car fitment looks aggressive, but he is also running a fat tire setup, and his car isn't "slammed."

Based on my observations, there are two approaches to an aggressive wheel setup:

1) You run a fat-tire setup with an aggressive wheel and it will be "poking" out slightly and look more like a lowered muscle car. RMM's car is a perfect example and it looks great. He will also point out that his car is setup with 0 degrees of negative camber to increase the longevity of his tires. (I would too if I had a supercharger )

2) The 2nd way is to run an aggressive wheel setup, but with a stretched tire and camber in so that the top of the lip lines with the fender, while the bottom is cambered out, thus giving the aggressive appearance. This look is only achieved if you car is "slammed" vs. "lowered."

Its all preference in my eyes and while I chose the 2nd look for my car, I appreciate both approaches when done correctly. With that said, there isn't a middle ground between the two. Its one of the other, and not because of opinion, but simple physics and geometry.

Your tires will certainly wear out quicker on the 2nd approach.. but you at least get the option to flip them

Disclaimer: I'm sure there are points of contention to my views, which people are free to express. These are simply from my observations.

HAHA I almost didn't read through this thread because I knew it wasn't the set up that I was after, but surprise you made some nice comparisons that I have a different look and purpose than what "others" are trying to achieve. My goal was to put as wide a tire as I could out back for the purpose of straight line traction as well as handling. My rear tires cost $800 a pair and they have asymmetrical tread so no flipping, and camber is a no no for me.

For others I see their preference is more towards the "slammed look" and that's fine. For me I'll deal with 295 tires on 20x11 with zero camber and zero rub with 4 passengers and a trunk full of luggage.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-05-09 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 08:16 PM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
HAHA I almost didn't read through this thread because I knew it wasn't the set up that I was after, but surprise you made some nice comparisons that I have a different look and purpose than what "others" are trying to achieve. My goal was to put as wide a tire as I could out back for the purpose of straight line traction as well as handling. My rear tires cost $800 a pair and they have asymmetrical tread so no flipping, and camber is a no no for me.

For others I see their preference is more towards the "slammed look" and that's fine. For me I'll deal with 295 tires on 20x11 with zero camber and zero rub with 4 passengers and a trunk full of luggage.

And certainly appreciate the look you have achieved. 295 on a stock GS is quite impressive, with being as low as you are. The engineering and amount of detail to your car, I think, is really unmatched for as long as you have had it. A True Pioneer. I hope my reasoning and comparison was presented in a correct light. As far as I'm concerned, we both run aggressive setups, with simply the approach being different.
Old 05-05-09, 08:41 PM
RMMGS4

And certainly appreciate the look you have achieved. 295 on a stock GS is quite impressive, with being as low as you are. The engineering and amount of detail to your car, I think, is really unmatched for as long as you have had it. A True Pioneer. I hope my reasoning and comparison was presented in a correct light. As far as I'm concerned, we both run aggressive setups, with simply the approach being different.
Absolutely. I couldn't of said it better myself. I was rushing out when I last posted, but I did mean to comment I like what you've done. It's maxxed out and done right without going over the limit of practicality. When I read that Thomas and others assisted you, I was not surprised why you got it right. You're in good company. I haven't gone to Austin for my business trips for a while now, but I'll hit you guys up if I'm in town.

BTW, after waiting 3+ years, Michelin FINALLY came out with a 305/25-20 size, so that's my next set up.
Old 05-06-09, 06:16 AM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Absolutely. I couldn't of said it better myself. I was rushing out when I last posted, but I did mean to comment I like what you've done. It's maxxed out and done right without going over the limit of practicality. When I read that Thomas and others assisted you, I was not surprised why you got it right. You're in good company. I haven't gone to Austin for my business trips for a while now, but I'll hit you guys up if I'm in town.

BTW, after waiting 3+ years, Michelin FINALLY came out with a 305/25-20 size, so that's my next set up.
And this is where I tip my hat to you sir... a 25 series tire on our heavy cars is a serious commitment. I thought i had lost my mind running a stretched 30 series on the front! Always setting the bar.

I have been blessed to have some great associations with some of the most knowledgable members in Texas.. namely Jeff, Thomas, Gio and Jun. Without them, the car wouldn't look half as good as it does.

Next time your in Texas, please let us know as meeting you would be a absolute pleasure.

Ben
Old 05-06-09, 09:47 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomLee
what was your tire life like?

on -3.7 camber, about two snow seasons for me.
this is the front btw, rears are not too bad...but at -2.
i want more traction but not raise my car

got RCA, new eccentric bolts, alignment, and now at F-2.5 R-2.
still too much for me.
Old 05-06-09, 10:13 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what are rca for then if u can get the camber in spec... waste of 700 fo a set?
Old 05-06-09, 10:16 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by GS300ToM
what are rca for then if u can get the camber in spec... waste of 700 fo a set?
suspension geometry correction
Old 05-06-09, 11:37 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i got similar wear on the fronts. -2.1 degree on the fronts. ran falken 452's 245/30/20s on the fronts, from feb til nov, then went to winter tires. so roughly 9 months of wear. had the tires flipped before putting the 20s back on.

rears have less wear because i got the spc RCA's on.

waiting for my exact motorsport front RCA spacers now =)

Originally Posted by Coco-bun

this is the front btw, rears are not too bad...but at -2.

still too much for me.
Old 05-06-09, 12:57 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
i got similar wear on the fronts. -2.1 degree on the fronts. ran falken 452's 245/30/20s on the fronts, from feb til nov, then went to winter tires. so roughly 9 months of wear. had the tires flipped before putting the 20s back on.

rears have less wear because i got the spc RCA's on.

waiting for my exact motorsport front RCA spacers now =)
how long have you had your tires for? .I would check your toe also.
Old 05-06-09, 03:02 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Here's my results:
Left Front Right Front
Camber: -2.5 -2.0
Caster: 8.7 9.2
Toe: 0.7 0.8
Cross Camber: -0.5
Cross Caster:-0.6
Total Toe: .14

Left Rear Right Rear
Camber: -2.8 -2.6
Toe: -.21 0

Total Toe: -.21
Thrust Angle: -0.11

This is after the alignment, any reason to why nothing is even?
Anyone? Is it normal for everything to be a tiny bit off after alignment?
Old 05-06-09, 03:12 PM
bigjez
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Man iam trying to do 21s and yall are having this much trouble and you got guys that can help I might just stay stock and say for get it smh.
Old 05-06-09, 03:23 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone? Is it normal for everything to be a tiny bit off after alignment?
doesnt look right to me. i dont have a print out, but when my buddy was doing my alignment, he took great care to make sure everything was equal from side to side....something i dont see in your results.
Old 05-06-09, 03:57 PM
RMMGS4

How many miles is two snow seasons???

, rears are not too bad...but at -2.

still too much for me.
The adjustable rear RCA's should be capable of getting you to OEM rear spec. So when you say -2 is that the camber you want or do you want more positive camber. Again the adjustable rear RCAs have 3 settings. I'm only on the first setting and in spec. Even if you are slammed more than me, I would think the additional two settings should be more then enough.

Quick Reply: Stock camber adjustment