GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Carbon Fiber wrap Galore!!! (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 03:26 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber fabric wrap Galore!!! (Lots of pics)

Hello all,
As some of you may know, I am taking my car down the "sporty," "sportdesign-ish" road. I am also growing tired of the walnut trim. I have always wanted a blackwood interior or carbon fiber interior. Both are hard to find and very expensive (to me). Tony (CarbonGS) had "one-off" custom carbon fiber interior pieces that I wanted but he took it off the market. =0( Blackwood kits sometimes don't match perfectly or kits are incomplete. So after Jimmy (istundra) provided a link to truciet's thread over at the 2IS subforum, I decided to try and carbon fiber fabric wrap my own interior.

If you're tired of reading at this point... Please scroll down for pictures.

So, this is carbon fiber fabric which is flexible and reasonably stretchy. It is NOT real carbon fiber. The top layer of the fabric has been printed or stamped to resemble a true CF weave. It looks very good though. The surface feels silk-like and you can feel the stamping pattern. To complete the project only required very basic tools and materials.

Here's a list:
-Masking or painter's tape
-box cutter and scissors (you will need to press hard to cut. CF is tough!)
-3M adhesive spray #77
-Goo gone (Use sparingly and carefully. Preferably with Q-tip)
-Philips screwdriver and flathead
-A lot of prep work... This is very important. There are no shortcuts for this type of project. I spent ~14-15 hours for all the pieces you see below.

The most important things? You will need steady hands, a lot time, and a lot of patience!! It would help if you have some kind of arts & crafts skill because working with a large single piece of carbon fiber fabric (especially for the gauge cluster bezel and center console trim) requires a lot of tacking and untacking, smoothing, repositioning, cutting, and improvising. I kind of rushed this and it didn't end up the way I exactly wanted but still came out pretty good IMO. This was the first time I took apart my interior. It was a bit scary but I just decided to dive right in with the help of BananaGS' site.

I realize that not all of you may like it, but so far, I like it a lot. It is subtle against my leather and provides a nice contrast and sporty look. The raw finish gives it a nice matte look. I hope it holds up well against wear, hot and cold weather.

The cost for the carbon fiber fabric is $40 per 3 feet by 3 feet (I think) and $37.50 for any additional yard. This should be enough to do the same interior pieces as me (if you cut templates wisely). However, I ordered 6 feet by 3 feet (for my roommates and friends to use, or if I messed up). You can purchase from a place called Reloaded Autosports, that is where I got mine. It comes available in charcoal (which I have), silver, or black.

Judging by the amount of CF fabric material I used, plus adhesive spray and tape, etc., this project cost me about $45.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Just post it up and this thread and I will respond. And no..... I did not do a documented write-up with photos. There is not much time for that, after you spray the adhesive, you only have a limited time to work with the carbon fiber fabric.

Please enjoy!

-Theo

Pictures with flash, no-flash, indoors, and outdoors.

Last edited by sleeper408; 04-23-09 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 03:26 PM
sleeper408

More pictures....

Last edited by sleeper408; 04-16-09 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 03:32 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like a stock sport pakage, looks very sporty.
Old 04-16-09, 03:34 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

looks good man, definitely compliments your look

BUT, no heated seats FTL
Old 04-16-09, 03:36 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
looks good man, definitely compliments your look

BUT, no heated seats FTL
Mmm...he lives in Nor-Cal so he doesn't need them.....He could say to you, "Cold Climate FTL " lol
Old 04-16-09, 03:39 PM
CleanS14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work man! Where in norcal are you located? I'd like to take a look if it's cool with you...

Jay
Old 04-16-09, 03:44 PM
LexXxuS101
Lead Lap

looks nice , i like it
Old 04-16-09, 04:02 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macd7919
Mmm...he lives in Nor-Cal so he doesn't need them.....He could say to you, "Cold Climate FTL " lol
you sir are correct, cold climate FTL, however, i know for a fact it gets chilly in norcal from time to time and heated seats are always pleasant
Old 04-16-09, 04:35 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That looks great, real sporty!
Old 04-16-09, 04:41 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That's great...now, if you do the pillars and roof!...ppl will go crazy over it....then again, I can't really imagine how it'll look.
Old 04-16-09, 05:33 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Looks Great Theo. So are you going to let me see it for real at the BOS5 meet in June ?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...thread-11.html

Also where is Reloaded Autosports? I have a different use for the CF then you.

Oh and as far as the blackwood, you never saw it in my car? I've had it for years. Had it all matched.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-16-09 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Wow, great work!
Old 04-16-09, 05:48 PM
veritek
Lexus Champion

I was wondering how it would look without clear coat over it, but it came out very nice. Sporty yet subtle. You did a very clean and professional looking job!!! That is SICK!!!
Old 04-16-09, 05:59 PM
sleeper408

Thanks for the compliments guys! I think it could look better but this was my very first time attempting this type of interior project. I'm used to just doing straight install type of modifications.
Old 04-16-09, 06:01 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Looks Great Theo. So are you going to let me see it for real at the BOS5 meet in June ?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...thread-11.html

Also where is Reloaded Autosports? I have a different use for the CF then you.

Oh and as far as the blackwood, you never saw it in my car? I've had it for years. Had it all matched.
Hey Glenn... I've already registered for BOS5. I don't know where Reloaded AS is, somehwere in SoCal. I ordered direct at their website. Yes, I've seen the blackwood in your car. What I meant was that sometimes it doesn't seem to match if you piece the kit together from different cars (at least from what I've seen).

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber wrap Galore!!! (Lots of pics)