GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Carbon Fiber wrap Galore!!! (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 01:43 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the compliments and advice guys. I really appreciate it. I think will go ahead and do a test piece for the top-coat. My concern is how to get the resin to harden uniformly on the center console piece? It swoops down at an angle so I don't know who to lay it so I don't get chunks of resin concentrated in one area.
Old 04-21-09, 07:10 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work, looks like it came like that from the factory!
Old 04-21-09, 10:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by carbongs
here's one on vertiek's gs400

tony....he wanted to see one from a gs430....different engine cover
Old 04-21-09, 09:45 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You won't get chunk as it will spread pretty thin.
Only multiple layers will add the thickness needed. It takes a ton of resin to make a cf style hood where it is completly thick and solid where the outline of the cf cannot be felt.
Another tip it to wrap the parts in saran or a thicker plastic and keep it tight to make a nice smooth like glass finish . Which is why they vac parts to smoothen and evenly coat the resin.
Old 04-21-09, 10:02 PM
sleeper408

I know what you mean by vacuum sealing like how professionals do it. So should I place the saran wrap right after I lay the resin? Should I do this for repeated layers of resin after that? How long do I need to leave the saran wrap on for before removing it so it doesn't become part of the top-coat?

Also, Thanks for all of your help thus far!
Old 04-21-09, 10:30 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very clean work...and I like the end result. Great work! Makes me wish I had a black interior so Id have more options for upgrading it when the time comes.
Old 04-22-09, 12:18 AM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by markgs4
very clean work...and I like the end result. Great work! Makes me wish I had a black interior so Id have more options for upgrading it when the time comes.
Hey Mark, do you have tan interior? Here's a photo of one of the BMW guys with the exact same fabric and tan interior. Looks pretty good IMO since he has other black pieces to complement the CF. Much better than I envisioned.

Old 04-22-09, 11:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Hey Mark, do you have tan interior? Here's a photo of one of the BMW guys with the exact same fabric and tan interior. Looks pretty good IMO since he has other black pieces to complement the CF. Much better than I envisioned.

that does look good on tan
Old 04-22-09, 09:39 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

I am no pro at laying it and am sure the link i posted earlier has better answers than me.
I added the saran 10 minutes after applying so it was slightly tacky, i did not use a release spray , I then removed it after a few hours for it to finally cure.

Remember you can always wet sand and polish the finish for any imperfections after.
Old 04-22-09, 11:50 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by skperformance
I am no pro at laying it and am sure the link i posted earlier has better answers than me.
I added the saran 10 minutes after applying so it was slightly tacky, i did not use a release spray , I then removed it after a few hours for it to finally cure.

Remember you can always wet sand and polish the finish for any imperfections after.
So you only applied one layer of resin? Will that suffice? If so, any hazing in the resin from prolonged exposure to heat and UV rays? Thanks again for the link. It was very informative and could potentially be useful for others who may want to attempt this project like I did.
Old 04-23-09, 04:30 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

No you have to apply a few layers of resin but it has to cure as per directions enough before applying a 2nd and 3rd coat. So after applying the resin coats you cover it. Other wise a perfect finsh would be made over days by wrapping and full curing on each coat.
Old 04-23-09, 06:12 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, just to clear up some information regarding this carbon look. I went over that shop that sells the carbon fabric. I started already working on my GS with a grey interior, it actually came out pretty nice. Im not done ywt so I wont post pics, but I did the whole center vent, console etc...

Regarding the Carbon fabric...I'm not a pro at all..but from what the guy told me at the shop..this is NOT a real carbon weave. Its pretty much printed carbon look on top of multi layer cloth and some kind of stretchy neoprane..like spandex. So, I don't see how you can lay resin on top or try to make it look like a real carbon mold piece when its just a print. idk, maybe im wrong?

Just my 0.02.
Old 04-23-09, 09:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ItsChris
Regarding the Carbon fabric...I'm not a pro at all..but from what the guy told me at the shop..this is NOT a real carbon weave. Its pretty much printed carbon look on top of multi layer cloth and some kind of stretchy neoprane..like spandex. So, I don't see how you can lay resin on top or try to make it look like a real carbon mold piece when its just a print. idk, maybe im wrong?

Just my 0.02.
i think they are using REAL carbon fiber weave and not a carbon fiber style fabric
Old 04-23-09, 01:51 PM
sleeper408

Brian: I think he may be right.

ItsChris: I am honestly not sure.... I think you are correct. I think it's just the print. I'm just wondering what the top layer is really made of? I saw one of the 2IS guys do this so I just purchased the same fabric he did. When my friends asked about it, I just told them its carbon fiber fabric. They asked what that is.... I said I don't know really. LOL All I've read is that CF fabric is better than CF vinyl.

Here's the seller's description of the product:
CF Fabric prides itself of the following:

* Extended Longevity
* Dry Carbon Effect
* OE Quality Finish
* Water Resistant
* Stain Resistant
* Crack Resistant

CF Fabric is the newest type of carbon fiber interior. No, it's not your typical CF overlay nor is it vinyl. This is actual fabric showcasing a CF based weave to allow the trim to breathe even better than leather.

Hmmmm.... CF based weave. Yeah I think you're right. In all my excitement before purchase, I never read the description closely. LOL I guess I need to tell people I have fake CF that looks very real. Oh well, if I get bored I can always peel it off later.
Old 04-23-09, 02:13 PM
sleeper408

OK. I just went out to my car take a very close look and NO, this is not real carbon fiber. The weave pattern is just a very good print or stamp (IMO) to resemble true CF weave. The surface is almost silk-like. It feels nice though. You can feel the grooves from the print or stamp. I need to update my first post in case this may be potentially misleading to people.

Kind of sad it's not real CF, but it's a low-cost, good-looking, reversible way to switch up the interior look a bit.

Last edited by sleeper408; 04-23-09 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber wrap Galore!!! (Lots of pics)