GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

35% on my car looks hella dark!

Old 04-19-09, 05:28 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one problem i do have after i got the car tinted is that my dash now has the "light out" warning but none of the bulbs in the rear are out and the fuses are fine. they had to redo my rear windshield tint b/c they ripped the first one by accident and i think they over sprayed the soapy solution. b/c of this i believe the "light failure sensor" (that i believe is in the trunk somewhere) got too wet.

does anyone have one for sale??? or know where it is exactly???
Old 04-20-09, 10:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJDM430
i'm new to the tinting numbers but as i see it, the smaller the percent the darker it is and the higher percent is lighter right?
yes thats correct

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
one problem i do have after i got the car tinted is that my dash now has the "light out" warning but none of the bulbs in the rear are out and the fuses are fine. they had to redo my rear windshield tint b/c they ripped the first one by accident and i think they over sprayed the soapy solution. b/c of this i believe the "light failure sensor" (that i believe is in the trunk somewhere) got too wet.

does anyone have one for sale??? or know where it is exactly???
i would check again....more than likely u will find you DO have a bulb out...check the 3rd break lights and all the running/brake lights. i had this on shortly after i got the car and i found out i had like 3 bulbs out but it took me a min 2 find a few as i just couldn't tell
Old 04-20-09, 07:09 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

i would check again....more than likely u will find you DO have a bulb out...check the 3rd break lights and all the running/brake lights. i had this on shortly after i got the car and i found out i had like 3 bulbs out but it took me a min 2 find a few as i just couldn't tell[/QUOTE]

i'm going to check once more. a few of the 194 bulbs were out on the third brake light so i went ahead and replaced all of them. i thought that would fix it but no luck. damn lights...
Old 04-20-09, 08:57 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Red face

Originally Posted by GSJDM430
i'm new to the tinting numbers but as i see it, the smaller the percent the darker it is and the higher percent is lighter right?
Pretty much. Tint is rated by how much light will penetrate through the film so the lower the percentage, the less light will be able to go through resulting in dark tint.

I have 10% on all windows plus the rear. My front windshield is 55%. Having a tinted (front) windshield makes it easy on my eyes. I recommend it regardless of it being illegal.
Old 04-21-09, 09:02 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow i cant believe how many people tint the front windows on their GS's!

mine are tinted 5% on all the windows with the exeption of the back window that is 15% (great for backing up at night or seeing, cop car light bars on cars behind you lol)

its really nice, and dark...BUT when your in front of my car....you can see both people in the front seats plain as day and it bugs me....ive been wanting to get my front window tinted ever since i left the tint shop lol....now seeing some of these pics, im for sure getting the front window done.

EDIT: here is an example...

side shot...hella dark...lovin it!

then you move to the front, and its like the car has no tint at all lol

Last edited by DumpedGS; 04-21-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-21-09, 10:01 AM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phamboogie

I have 10% on all windows plus the rear. My front windshield is 55%. Having a tinted (front) windshield makes it easy on my eyes. I recommend it regardless of it being illegal.

Easy on your eyes in the day...but what about at night. What is your tire size. How are the roads around your area. How good/bad are your eyes. Front tint may not be as beneficial to everyone. I opted not to get the front tint because of those three reasons. 30/35 series tires, bad vision at night or when it's pouring like typical Seattle, lot's of potholes.....and THEN you have the illegal factor and you can expect at least one ticket with the front tinted. Maybe not right away, but one day, you will get at least one. Doesnt help that you're driving a Lexus which will attract attention more then your "average" car anyways.

GSJDM430, keep in mind. 35%, 20%, 5%, etc, means how much LIGHT will pass through, not how much heat it will keep out. So dont think a darker tint is going to keep the interior a lot cooler. They make different types of tint that primarily focus on heat deflection.
Old 04-21-09, 10:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phamboogie
My front windshield is 55%. Having a tinted (front) windshield makes it easy on my eyes. I recommend it regardless of it being illegal.
i do too. although i am running a 35% front windshield since as i get older my eyesight gets worse....i guess momma was right, it really will make you go blind
Old 04-21-09, 11:12 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkiiisupra
Doesnt help that you're driving a Lexus which will attract attention more then your "average" car anyways.
Yeah, it also doesn't help that I'm driving a black/black 2GS either haha. The roads here are okay though we have more dips than potholes in the area I frequent.

55% in the front is bearable in the evenings for me, at least.
Old 04-21-09, 11:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

yeah i also got my front done so "light" compared to my other windows so they wouldnt think i had the front done as it looks so much lighter....