GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best way to match inner headlights with outer OEM HIDs?

Old 04-16-09, 11:36 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MPLexus301, you're getting to be a pretty valuable member on here! I appreciate the reviews of the two different DRL bulbs. I read like dozens of similar posts a year ago and figured the Polarg M4's were the general consensus... but didn't think they looked all that great and decided to hold off. Seeing how nice the new LEDs look though, I'll order mine from Warden today also! Props to Chrispy for the recommendation too.

By the way MP, your car really has evolved into one of my faves on the board so keep it up
Old 04-16-09, 12:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
MPLexus301, you're getting to be a pretty valuable member on here! I appreciate the reviews of the two different DRL bulbs. I read like dozens of similar posts a year ago and figured the Polarg M4's were the general consensus... but didn't think they looked all that great and decided to hold off. Seeing how nice the new LEDs look though, I'll order mine from Warden today also! Props to Chrispy for the recommendation too.

By the way MP, your car really has evolved into one of my faves on the board so keep it up
I really appreciate the compliments man

It's interesting how much new stuff can still be dug up on a car that went out of production 4 years ago. I am just glad to be able to help
Old 04-16-09, 01:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

dammit....now i may have to buy some new city leds and replace my v-led ones...these match really well
Old 04-16-09, 01:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Guys,

I have gotten several PMs about the specific link for these bulbs so I figured I would post a link for a current auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...3A1|240%3A1318

I think those end in 2 days, FYI.

Good luck
Old 04-16-09, 01:46 PM
tomtsops
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
dammit....now i may have to buy some new city leds and replace my v-led ones...these match really well
my v-leds just came in, i also have a set of 6000k bulbs on order, not from v-leds though... i hope they match up.

did you get the $19.99 bulbs from v-leds? (the one recommended by jacksonvp)
Old 04-16-09, 01:47 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

superbrightleds.com sells these as well and you don't have to wait for them to come from Hong Kong. $5.95 a piece plus $5 shipping

Almost at the bottom of the page.....
http://superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/s...gi?product=CAR
Old 04-16-09, 01:52 PM
tomtsops
Driver

i didn't order philips bulbs as they were too epensive, so i settle for a $80 pair of 6000k bulbs.. i'll post when i have them installed with my v-leds. I do have 6000k philips in my fogs though..

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
All your points understood, but it only takes us back full circle from where this post discussion originally started.

Several people acknowledged the polargs were the closest up to this point. That's what many of us have been using including myself for 5+ years.

So what we were pursuing with this post is to see what NEW Bulb technologies were available of which the EBay seller "Warden" bulb that was recommended by Chrispy and the V-LED bulb were under consideration.

Both myself and the OP have confirmed the "Warden" bulb is a step closer than the polarg. So outside of reliability issues, the "Warden" bulb is The new Top Pick for city lights combined with 4k OEM HIDs.

Myself and another poster tested the V-LED and found it is even brighter then the Warren bulb, but with a slight blue tint. This bulb totally blows away the polarg in brightness and if it weren't for the bluish tint, I'd prefer it over the Warden Bulb.

Atleast one poster preferred the V-LED bulb with the 4k HIDs, over the Warden bulb.

So moving forward, I may pursue testing some 6k Phillips bulbs and see how they match up with the V-LEDs.

The V-LED/6k combo could be a SECOND good alternative to the Warden/4k combo.

I'm not willing to shell out $200 on bulbs to find out though, so I'll be looking for someone to borrow some 6k bulbs. This may take some time. Hopefully someone else will try it before I do and post results.

Stay Tuned
Old 04-16-09, 06:51 PM
NIXmx
Driver

V-LEDs....Which ones?

I would assume the 27 LED bulbs would be the brightest.

27 LED $24.99 - http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/P...35712-1-2.html
19 LED $18.99 - http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/P...35708-1-2.html
13 LED $14.99 - http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...38587-1-2.html

If it would mean having to buy 6k headlight bulbs to match, that's fine by me. And if I don't like the bulbs in the headlights, I can always put them somewhere else. Thanks.
Old 04-16-09, 10:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
superbrightleds.com sells these as well and you don't have to wait for them to come from Hong Kong. $5.95 a piece plus $5 shipping

Almost at the bottom of the page.....
http://superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/s...gi?product=CAR
Can we confirm its the same? Shipping is $5 so the price ends up being the same.
Old 04-16-09, 10:22 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtsops
i didn't order philips bulbs as they were too expensive, so i settle for a $80 pair of 6000k bulbs.. i'll post when i have them installed with my v-leds. I do have 6000k philips in my fogs though..
OK kool. When I compare the V-leds to 4k they look really blue, but I'm thinking with 6k that both will just look white with a hint of blue.

Looking forward to the pics.
Old 04-17-09, 07:46 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Can we confirm its the same? Shipping is $5 so the price ends up being the same.
I'll let you know when they show up and are installed. Same price but they'll be delivered 2 weeks earlier If most are like me....I'm impatient
Old 04-17-09, 10:17 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've come back around to the LED's from Warden, I used them for a little while last summer and they were a differant shade than my 6000k's so I put them in my license plate and tried the M4's. The M4's were not doing it so I ordered the LED's again a week ago, hopefully they work with my new Q45's better than they did with the stock HID's. Either way, I prefer them over the Polargs.
Old 04-17-09, 11:45 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtsops
my v-leds just came in, i also have a set of 6000k bulbs on order, not from v-leds though... i hope they match up.

did you get the $19.99 bulbs from v-leds? (the one recommended by jacksonvp)
yes i used the v-led ones jackson recommended and they are nice...

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p5768086.html

but they are a tad blue i think i might try the ones micheal got as they seem to match really well.

OK kool. When I compare the V-leds to 4k they look really blue, but I'm thinking with 6k that both will just look white with a hint of blue.

Looking forward to the pics.
yeah they do look a tad blue...i was satisfied with them compared to the others till micheal posted his pic of the ebay ones, now i think im gonna change them. just wish i had a smaller hand when doing the drivers side one
Old 04-17-09, 12:20 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

All your points understood, but it only takes us back full circle from where this post discussion originally started.

Several people acknowledged the polargs were the closest up to this point. That's what many of us have been using including myself for 5+ years.

So what we were pursuing with this post is to see what NEW Bulb technologies were available of which the EBay seller "Warden" bulb that was recommended by Chrispy and the V-LED bulb were under consideration.

Both myself and the OP have confirmed the "Warden" bulb is a step closer than the polarg. So outside of reliability issues, the "Warden" bulb is The new Top Pick for city lights combined with 4k OEM HIDs.

Myself and another poster tested the V-LED and found it is even brighter then the Warren bulb, but with a slight blue tint. This bulb totally blows away the polarg in brightness and if it weren't for the bluish tint, I'd prefer it over the Warden Bulb.

Atleast one poster preferred the V-LED bulb with the 4k HIDs, over the Warden bulb.

So moving forward, I may pursue testing some 6k Phillips bulbs and see how they match up with the V-LEDs.

The V-LED/6k combo could be a SECOND good alternative to the Warden/4k combo.

I'm not willing to shell out $200 on bulbs to find out though, so I'll be looking for someone to borrow some 6k bulbs. This may take some time. Hopefully someone else will try it before I do and post results.

Stay Tuned
glen,

are you coming down to so. cal? i'm running some philips 6000k bulbs but they are d2s and projectors.
Old 04-17-09, 01:19 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
just wish i had a smaller hand when doing the drivers side one
Isn't that the truth, I was hoping my new LED's would show up today so I could change them before I put the lights back on the car but I'll just have to spend 15 minutes messing around with it when they show up.

BTW, I wish I could find an LED equivalant to those with just a hint of purple instead of blue. The mobileHID 6000k's seem a little more purplish and I don't think it's gonna be possible to get a real good match. From what I've read all the purple toned LED's are very dim.

Side note on Warden, when my first shipment showed up from Hong Kong it was marked as a gift, nobody notices that this guy is sending thousands of "gifts" to the United States.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to match inner headlights with outer OEM HIDs?