GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best way to match inner headlights with outer OEM HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 02:19 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
LoL. Hopefully my shipment of LED bulbs will have arrived when I get home
i thought you would enjoy that pic sir... i do like mine from v-led but will see how yours go and how they match before i even think of changing them again thanks to that stupid drivers side one
Old 04-15-09, 06:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well those ebay LEDs were definitely the trick guys:

LEDs (left) vs Polarg M4s (right)

LEDs:

M4s:

Finished Effect:

Old 04-15-09, 06:42 PM
tomtsops
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any tips on how to install the driver side LED? its really right in there.
Old 04-15-09, 07:22 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Not really, you just have to play with it to be honest.
Old 04-15-09, 08:31 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Are those the bulbs I suggested from Warden? Looks like a perfect match.
Old 04-15-09, 08:50 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrispy
Are those the bulbs I suggested from Warden? Looks like a perfect match.
Yep! You're the man!
Old 04-15-09, 08:56 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ordered the same bulbs per Chrispy's recommendation.

Way back on post #7 !

These are about as close as I have seen to OEM. I also have the V-LED versions which have a Bluish tint, but are MUCH brighter. I'm debating to change my HID headlight bulbs to Phillips 6K and see if I can get that bulb to match the V-LED.

For now I'll run the bulbs from Warden.

Thanks Chris !
Old 04-15-09, 09:09 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Glad you guys are having good results with those bulbs. If there's enough demand, maybe you can ask him to make high power versions of those bulbs. He sells neo wedge bulbs now because I told him they would be popular.
Old 04-16-09, 05:03 AM
burma
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool i bought those LEDs from Warden also but could only put it on the left side. I lost the damm led somewhere in the engine bay as i was trying to fit in the right side one which is impossible unless you got migidt hands...arghh i think i gotta order some more
They seem to match perfect, props to chrispy.

Last edited by burma; 04-16-09 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-16-09, 09:25 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Well those ebay LEDs were definitely the trick guys:

LEDs (left) vs Polarg M4s (right)

So you have LED city lights and the plug that allows LED DRLs that are still able to switch and function as highbeams? I have the Polarg M4 city lights and yes they are weak and not bright at all but at least they are whitish/blue and look nicer and are a better match then the stock yellow/amber bulbs. I went with the PolargM4 because it does not seem those LED lights last very long or easily break/fail from reading up on them and I don't feel like scratching up my hand trying to replace them on the right side a bunch of times, also most LEDs are not that bright either and you need to get the stronger models with more lights to put out decent light. Your set up looks nice.
Old 04-16-09, 09:32 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just ordered my from warden.. cant wait til they get here
Old 04-16-09, 09:37 AM
LexFather

Wow great job guys. Seems 3GS guys also mostly suggest Polarg M4s but I am now going to also order the ones Chrispy suggested.

MP, since you have a SD and your headlight is dark compared to a regular GS, how this affects how this looks.

Great work everyone!
Old 04-16-09, 10:29 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by i6LeXo300
just ordered my from warden.. cant wait til they get here
Just a heads up...allow a good 2 weeks for shipping because these things come from Hong Kong.
Old 04-16-09, 10:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
So you have LED city lights and the plug that allows LED DRLs that are still able to switch and function as highbeams? I have the Polarg M4 city lights and yes they are weak and not bright at all but at least they are whitish/blue and look nicer and are a better match then the stock yellow/amber bulbs. I went with the PolargM4 because it does not seem those LED lights last very long or easily break/fail from reading up on them and I don't feel like scratching up my hand trying to replace them on the right side a bunch of times, also most LEDs are not that bright either and you need to get the stronger models with more lights to put out decent light. Your set up looks nice.
The bulbs I bought fit directly into the stock plug but I have not tried the high beams. The M4s are, like you say, better than stock but these are a much better match and give off far more light.

I highly recommend them
Old 04-16-09, 11:27 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A recap of everything tested so far

Originally Posted by UDel
All your points understood, but it only takes us back full circle from where this post discussion originally started.

Several people acknowledged the polargs were the closest up to this point. That's what many of us have been using including myself for 5+ years.

So what we were pursuing with this post is to see what NEW Bulb technologies were available of which the EBay seller "Warden" bulb that was recommended by Chrispy and the V-LED bulb were under consideration.

Both myself and the OP have confirmed the "Warden" bulb is a step closer than the polarg. So outside of reliability issues, the "Warden" bulb is The new Top Pick for city lights combined with 4k OEM HIDs.

Myself and another poster tested the V-LED and found it is even brighter then the Warren bulb, but with a slight blue tint. This bulb totally blows away the polarg in brightness and if it weren't for the bluish tint, I'd prefer it over the Warden Bulb.

Atleast one poster preferred the V-LED bulb with the 4k HIDs, over the Warden bulb.

So moving forward, I may pursue testing some 6k Phillips bulbs and see how they match up with the V-LEDs.

The V-LED/6k combo could be a SECOND good alternative to the Warden/4k combo.

I'm not willing to shell out $200 on bulbs to find out though, so I'll be looking for someone to borrow some 6k bulbs. This may take some time. Hopefully someone else will try it before I do and post results.

Stay Tuned

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-16-09 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Best way to match inner headlights with outer OEM HIDs?