GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Signal Flasher relay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-09, 12:53 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exclusive .. are those the 1600.00 led turnsignal lights too ? looks good to bad you cant control them to have them flash slower and longer ... add a controller ?
Old 03-22-09, 05:58 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuPxr
exclusive .. are those the 1600.00 led turnsignal lights too ? looks good to bad you cant control them to have them flash slower and longer ... add a controller ?
eh, definitely not 1600, but definitely sequential LED. A controller would be cool, but i am more focused on getting them to blink correctly first. And I like the speed that they blink when the hazards are on.
Old 03-22-09, 11:56 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

I didn't want to muck around with this any longer so I broke down and just added resistors. I didn't want to lose my alarm indicator, plus I would need to return the relay either way so . . .

All the wiring was soldered and the resistors were glued using hi temp silicone, wires tie wrapped and heat shrink added.

It took a little bit of time, but I already wasted 2 days messing with that relay.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-22-09 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-22-09, 02:52 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

nice, looks clean

question - how come there are 2 resistors?
Old 03-22-09, 06:12 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes this relay is very frustrating. I had a hard time just removing it, guess my hands are too big. I would like to do the resistors if that corrects all the problems. Im not a wiring expert by any means, can you give us a diy or diagram of what to wire to what and where to get the items Glen?
Old 03-23-09, 12:19 AM
RMMGS4

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by excluesive
nice, looks clean

question - how come there are 2 resistors?
I got the resistors at a local electronics surplus and they didn't have 6 ohm in stock, so I had to put two 3.2 ohm in series. Any resistor that's rated atleast 25 watts and between 6 to 6.5 ohms is going to work.

These resistors do get hot, so to avoid the risk of melting plastic or worse, I installed these outside of the trunk.

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Yes this relay is very frustrating. I had a hard time just removing it, guess my hands are too big. I would like to do the resistors if that corrects all the problems. Im not a wiring expert by any means, can you give us a diy or diagram of what to wire to what and where to get the items Glen?
Go to the V-LED website. They sell the resistors and show a schematic. Basically just run the resistor to the two wires going to the turn signal bulb. The green w/yellow stripe and white w/black stripe wires shown in the photo. I soldered the wires, but the V-LED come with moisture resistant taps. Use "red" silicone glue to attach it to the body if you install it like I did. I mounted them low so that the heat will not risk melting the back of the tail light lense.

That's pretty much it.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-23-09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-23-09, 01:01 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'l have to check mine but i am sure it still flashes with no key.
Old 03-23-09, 09:52 AM
RMMGS4

So far the problem was found on a 98 and 99 GS.

Anyone else who has done it on a GS, please let us know if your emergency flashers work without the key on and also what model year your car is.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-23-09 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 10:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

wow...all this for led lights....glad i wasnt the guinea on this... did jackson have the dash light? guess i'll just wait on rich and glen to finish and see what i wanna do...i def dont wanna lose my light out dash bulb and i def wanna do led's.
Old 03-23-09, 05:25 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Glenn: Do you have any vids of the tail lights now with the resistors installed?
Old 03-24-09, 03:39 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The light out on the dash is actually not a hard fix. bananags did it and all you have to do is find the brake light module in the trunk and cut/remove 1 wire and the light goes away. Bananags diy site has pics of where everything is and what wire to cut/remove, so it looks very easy. I havent had time to do it yet but will soon. I think the relay/resistor for the turn signal is more of a challenge.
Old 03-24-09, 09:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
The light out on the dash is actually not a hard fix. bananags did it and all you have to do is find the brake light module in the trunk and cut/remove 1 wire and the light goes away. Bananags diy site has pics of where everything is and what wire to cut/remove, so it looks very easy. I havent had time to do it yet but will soon. I think the relay/resistor for the turn signal is more of a challenge.
rich, i've seen that post...but i dont wanna lose it...i just dont want it there when i install some bulbs....im **** bout stuff working like it was meant to work what can i say
Old 03-24-09, 10:24 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Glenn: Do you have any vids of the tail lights now with the resistors installed?

No time to do a vid right now, but it's basically like OEM. Why don't you stop by a local meet some time and just see the real thing?

Originally Posted by sakataj
rich, i've seen that post...but i dont wanna lose it...i just dont want it there when i install some bulbs....im **** bout stuff working like it was meant to work what can i say
So I just want to clarify / verify.

The bulb out warning light in your dash Only Triggers when your brake light is burned out.

Burned out turn signals DO NOT trigger the warning light. That is the REASON for the Hyperblink to tell you the bulb is burned out. If you use either the relay or the resistors you will loose the hyperblink feature and you will not know if your turn signal bulb is out.

If you go to LED for your brake lights, the warning light WILL go on. The fix again is to use resistors then the result is the same. You will have defeated the purpose of the bulb out indicator by fooling it to think the bulb is good. If you have LED tails, a quality set of LEDs should last the lifetime that you own the car. It's not the end of the world if a brake light does go out, since you still have the other side plus the third brake light working. Hopefully a nice peace officer will eventually notify you of a bulb out condition.

Instead of playing with the BananaGS mod or any resistor mod, just remove the Bulb Out Indicator Light out of the dash and try to not loose any sleep over it.

If you must be ****, then I guess you won't be using LEDs.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-24-09 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-24-09, 12:09 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
No time to do a vid right now, but it's basically like OEM. Why don't you stop by a local meet some time and just see the real thing?
I knew you were going to say that. I usually come out to only BOS and EOS. I will probably check it out at BOS this year.
Old 03-24-09, 04:53 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
The relay is located under the driver side kick panel..it's a pain in the but to get to. It's a little above all the fuses and it's clipped on to the fuse housing.

looks something like this:

you will lose confirmation blinker when you lock the doors with your remote however youwiill still get the beep.
Maybe this can help identify the problem with the confirmation blinkers when locking the doors. For all you electronics gurus...out there...

Pete

Quick Reply: Signal Flasher relay?