GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Instruction for Factory HID Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 02:01 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-27-13, 09:07 PM
cbabyj
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank You

This really saved me $350 going to dealership. I was able to do it all myself. Thanks.
Old 11-30-13, 07:21 AM
animalfarm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Changed out my 12 year old bulbs for new oem bulbs, a mayor difference. The instructions were very helpfull.
Old 12-02-13, 07:13 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Absolutely! HID bulbs lose lumens over time, so I'm sure that the difference would be huge.

We are an authorized Philips vendor, and carry OEM D4S Philips HID bulbs.

Steve
Old 04-19-14, 08:43 PM
AceKinkaid
Driver School Candidate

Bumping this because it's my second time referencing it. My original passenger side HID went out a couple of years ago after 10+ years and my driver starting turning pink a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a pair off of eBay. I remembered the passenger side being a pain, but doable once I figured out how the little springs that hold the bulb in worked.

This time, getting started with the driver side, I didn't think I'd be able to do it because there's like negative space to work with. Someone else said it, but it's much better if you do the passenger side first to get an idea of how things work and you have a little more space to work with. The driver's side, I really had to do pretty much by feel because I could barely fit my hand in there, more less have space to actually see anything. I'd be interested to see if they do anything differently at the dealer because it's not what I would call easy.

The metal cover just wouldn't go back on after like an hour of trying so I finally said F it and just put the plastic cover back on and kept rocking. I hope I don't fry anything...
Old 04-19-14, 09:11 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

you got to think of the metal cover like a metal cap on a bottle.

you're not going to get it off (or on) by pushing or pulling on it straight.

To get it off, you lever it off, (like a bottlecap opener)

To get it on, you have to hook one side, then use a rolling motion to lever the other edge on.
Old 04-21-14, 06:06 AM
AceKinkaid
Driver School Candidate

I kept referencing the OP's pics and tried to put the bottom in first and hinge it up, but the top just wouldn't connect. It was like something was obstructing it, but the space is so small, I couldn't see what it was. Anybody know what this metal cap does anyway? I'm sure it serves a purpose, but how critical is it?
Old 11-23-14, 05:28 PM
Unlikely
9th Gear

Just did it again after 3 years. Found this post again. Great reference.

My drivers side burned out, but doing the passenger side first allowed me to see the details again.

Getting the cover off/on on the drivers side was the primary issue again. That thing is not easy even though I had done it before and did it with the passenger side first.

Other than that it's simple once you see how it fits together.

Hope I have one of the newer IS vehicles when these lights go out...
Old 12-26-14, 02:03 PM
EITELS123
Rookie

I recently got a 2000 gs400 with factory HID. The paperclip wire that holds in the bulb on the passenger side is gone. I went to the dealer to get one and they told me they don't sell them. Anybody know how can get that metal wire?
Old 12-26-14, 06:23 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EITELS123
I recently got a 2000 gs400 with factory HID. The paperclip wire that holds in the bulb on the passenger side is gone. I went to the dealer to get one and they told me they don't sell them. Anybody know how can get that metal wire?
thats rough. a quick look on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-INFINITI-SUBARU-XENON-HEADLIGHT-OEM-D2R-HID-BULB-RETAINER-holder-bracket-/281522416921?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item418c0b2d19&vxp=mtr
Old 12-27-14, 04:08 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EITELS123
Go to a hobby shop and buy a piano wire, make one yourself.
Old 12-27-14, 05:38 AM
EITELS123
Rookie

That might work. With the Nissan one.
Old 05-18-15, 05:00 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump again found this thread through Google! replacing my HIDs soon woo
Old 05-09-16, 10:24 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hiijack/Bump.

Has anyone rocked factory HID housings and not had the grey plastic dust shield on for an extended period of time?

If I keep mine on, I get condensation why it rains or I wash my car.
Old 12-27-16, 11:21 PM
paulr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is write-up on what I did last Saturday (Xmas eve). I wish I would have checked the Forum as the pictures are very good and it's very hard to get my big hands in to take pictures...hope this helps

The low beam HID headlights on my 2003 GS430 stopped working. So looking into the cost etc, I decided to go with the OEM Philips D2R on Amazon for $44 each and replacing both seemed like the appropriate plan of action to get the best light. My local autozone et al wanted 70-90 for 1. There are cheaper alternatives on eBay and Amazon but I wanted to do the job once and maybe again in 13 years.

There a gray plastic ~5" diameter plastic covers on left and right sides. The plastic covers are removed by twisting them counter-clockwise. Once you remove the covers you will either see a 9006 non HID light bulb which is an angle connector with bulb built in or a D2R which will have a silver colored metal protector and a silver colored sheathed connector wire.

The metal connetor protector cover is held in place by two clips; top and bottom, 12 & 6. Remove the bottom of the cover first and then slide the metal cover out from the top clip. The clips are bulit into the cover so you can't lose them and are simple spring metal. Once the metal covers are off you can now remove the bulb connector.

The bulb connectors are horizontal position and need to be rotated 90 degrees to be released. The connectors have 4 positions where the bulb's two round ***** connect into so it's hard to tell if you should rotate CW or CCW and left and right sides rotated differntly on my car. So the connector will only rotate one direction and it comes off fairly easily so don't force it. The buld has a round base with round winglets that secure the bulb to the connector. Once the connector is removed you remove the bulb. On my car, the right connector had to be turned 45degrees up to fit on the bulb and then rotated down to be horizontal and the left was attached down and rotated up to be horizontal. Remember how you took the connectors off as you will have to put them back on.

The bulb base has indentations on it that match the headlight housing and the bulb can only be inserted one way. There are two spring loaded chips that hold the base into the housing. The clips are long spring wires that are fixed at the bottom of the housing and secure around two two metal tabs at the top of the headllight housing. Pushing the rounded end of the spring and pushing it from under the metal tabs will release the bulb from the housing. Observe the wire connector shealthed and its location relative to the springs, as you will need to replicated this during installation. Be careful removing the bulb as the external wire is exposed and you can break it very easily.

Reversing the procedure will be a lot easier now that you've gone through the removal process. The bulb external filament will be on the bottom and the indent in the bulb base located opposite at the top which is important to remember when installing it. Once you have identified the indent on the based and the corresponding matching indent on the base the bulb will easily slide in place and the metal springs will easily get pushed underneath the metal tabs. Connect the connectors, rotate to horizontal position.

The metal backing cover should be slipped under the springs and connected first and then snap the bottom in place. Keep the connector wire in the same position and then put the gray plastic cover and voila! it's done and you have succesfully saved yourself hundreds of dollars!

My descriptions are pretty exact and I have never replaced HID headlights on any other car so can't tell if my car/year is unique or not. I would be surprised if there are different methods as "variation is the enemy of quality" (Deming) and Japan used Demings theory in creating their reputation for quality!

Have fun

Paul

Quick Reply: Instruction for Factory HID Bulb Replacement