GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My car rides HARD and it's 100% stock + weird crunching noises. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 05:20 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My car rides HARD and it's 100% stock + weird crunching noises. Help?

As most of you know I've had my car since July...bought it with the stock 16"ers and crappy 55 series tires on it. Bought IS wheels on 45 series Michelin Pilots and then sold them, and now have the 17" X 8" GS 430 wheels on 50 series Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires. The 430 calls for 45 series tires and since I live in the city I wanted to go with something a little cushier to help absorb the bumps.

However, over time, I am really coming to terms with the fact that my car rides HARD no matter what tires and wheels are on it. Harder than my Gen4 TRD Camry or my old 03 Camry. I can obviously feel that it's a heavier and more substantial car but the ride is ROUGH...a lot rougher than I thought it was going to be for a Lexus. What could the cause of this be? Or is this just how the car drives? I feel EVERY nick, cranny, and crack in the pavement when I drive and it's starting to get old now. I'm only 21 so I'm not some grandpa but this is definitely the hardest riding car that I have ever owned. Quite honestly, our Corvette rides smoother at times, than my GS.

Second...these awful crunching noises that come from the front of my car. I hear them mostly when changing direction, turning the wheel, or braking at low speeds but it's a pretty distinct crunching noise. I worked at a Lexus dealership and brought this up and was told by numerous techs that the 2GS just has noisy struts and that's what I am hearing. There are times where I hear more than just a crunching noise from the front end and I can feel it in the steering wheel. Not a jolt or a jitter but it's more of like a "clink clink" and I can just feel two little notches coming from the front of the car. I have heard some horror stories about ball joints needing to be replaced...but my car only has 72K on it. What is it that I am feeling and hearing?

Any help on either of these issues would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 01-20-09, 05:25 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would take that bad boy to the suspension shop ASAP!! Sounds like blown shocks, barrings, or upper control arms.....my best guess would be control arms. The failure is gradual with control arms but can cause huge problems in others areas.
Old 01-20-09, 05:27 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks man. Did you get your mufflers?
Old 01-20-09, 05:55 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I occasionally get the crunching on cold mornings, the dealership could not find anything wrong with the ball joints or anything, I def. thought it was the lower ball joints going, but guess not.

Didn't the lower ball joints change for the 2001 + GS's due to the failures in previous models?
Old 01-20-09, 05:59 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by habeeb89
I occasionally get the crunching on cold mornings, the dealership could not find anything wrong with the ball joints or anything, I def. thought it was the lower ball joints going, but guess not.

Didn't the lower ball joints change for the 2001 + GS's due to the failures in previous models?
Mine have been replaced a couple weeks ago and I have simular miles on my 430 as yours (I have 108K). On cold mornings, the car rides rough, by cold I mean below freezing. When the temps are warmer, car drives fine.

I always attirbuted it to the 17s, summer tires and cold weather. I feel like I'm riding on round bricks LOL
Old 01-20-09, 06:14 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

upper mounts?
Old 01-20-09, 06:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I feel like the ride is significantly "harder" in the winter which I had thought would be due to harder roads/tires just because of temps. Lately it has been in the teens and twenties here on some mornings and I feel like I'm driving a go kart to work! The crunching noise does seem a little worse in the cold but I really do hear it all the time regardless of temps. I hear it most in low speed stopping and turning.
Old 01-20-09, 07:07 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wowitztai
upper mounts?
+1 on the upper strut mounts and the Ball Joints. I was once told that the 2nd Gen GS is very hard on the front suspension. GL with the repair! Lucky for you that you work at the dealership and can feed the mechanics with donuts coffee or beer for a diagnosis!
Old 01-20-09, 07:33 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by farkas
+1 on the upper strut mounts and the Ball Joints. I was once told that the 2nd Gen GS is very hard on the front suspension. GL with the repair! Lucky for you that you work at the dealership and can feed the mechanics with donuts coffee or beer for a diagnosis!
Ughhhhh man. I actually quit the dealership and now intern at a private investment firm here in Atlanta. I guess I will be bringing the car in to see what they say.

How much do the upper strut mounts cost?
Old 01-20-09, 07:38 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Thanks man. Did you get your mufflers?
YES!!

Thanks, I've yet to install them. It's been cold and I've been working too much.
Old 01-20-09, 07:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
YES!!

Thanks, I've yet to install them. It's been cold and I've been working too much.
Great! I packed the EFF out of those things lol. Glad it all worked out.
Old 01-20-09, 07:41 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Great! I packed the EFF out of those things lol. Glad it all worked out.
It really did work out well. Thanks for the TLC in packaging, everything got here in perfect condition. Let me know if you ever need a vouch.

Are you going to have your suspension looked at soon?
Old 01-20-09, 07:46 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it could be upper strut mount. did you check the bolt for the mount? if the strut is not torqued correctly, while going over a bump, the upper strut mount moves. take a look at this. It should be easy since it is the only bolt which holds the spring in place. You don't even need to jack up your car.
Old 01-20-09, 07:55 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by istundra
it could be upper strut mount. did you check the bolt for the mount? if the strut is not torqued correctly, while going over a bump, the upper strut mount moves. take a look at this. It should be easy since it is the only bolt which holds the spring in place. You don't even need to jack up your car.
Truthfully I wouldn't know where to look or how to tell if it was torqued correctly. Any tips?

ZippyGuy- Thanks for the kind words. I am guessing that I'll have a friend or two look at it before I go to the stealership. I still know a lot of the techs so I am gonna try to go that route before I pay 110/hr for labor and all the other fees.

I'll keep you guys posted. I think I am going to buy new springs and shocks regardless- Tanabe DF210s and KYB GR-2s. Should I just have the lower ball joints replaced along with them?

Thanks again.
Old 01-20-09, 08:04 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

As most of you know I've had my car since July...bought it with the stock 16"ers and crappy 55 series tires on it. Bought IS wheels on 45 series Michelin Pilots and then sold them, and now have the 17" X 8" GS 430 wheels on 50 series Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires. The 430 calls for 45 series tires and since I live in the city I wanted to go with something a little cushier to help absorb the bumps.

However, over time, I am really coming to terms with the fact that my car rides HARD no matter what tires and wheels are on it. Harder than my Gen4 TRD Camry or my old 03 Camry. I can obviously feel that it's a heavier and more substantial car but the ride is ROUGH...a lot rougher than I thought it was going to be for a Lexus. What could the cause of this be? Or is this just how the car drives? I feel EVERY nick, cranny, and crack in the pavement when I drive and it's starting to get old now. I'm only 21 so I'm not some grandpa but this is definitely the hardest riding car that I have ever owned. Quite honestly, our Corvette rides smoother at times, than my GS.

Second...these awful crunching noises that come from the front of my car. I hear them mostly when changing direction, turning the wheel, or braking at low speeds but it's a pretty distinct crunching noise. I worked at a Lexus dealership and brought this up and was told by numerous techs that the 2GS just has noisy struts and that's what I am hearing. There are times where I hear more than just a crunching noise from the front end and I can feel it in the steering wheel. Not a jolt or a jitter but it's more of like a "clink clink" and I can just feel two little notches coming from the front of the car. I have heard some horror stories about ball joints needing to be replaced...but my car only has 72K on it. What is it that I am feeling and hearing?

Any help on either of these issues would be GREATLY appreciated
Time for new shocks and struts buddy. Get KYB G2-R #1 stock replacement. And check the bushings on the control arms.

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 01-20-09 at 08:07 PM. Reason: addtional

Quick Reply: My car rides HARD and it's 100% stock + weird crunching noises. Help?