GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stock Amplifier Bypass++ More Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 12:28 AM
denvergs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Amplifier Bypass++ More Questions!

Hey everyone - so im keeping the lex. So here comes the mods. I have been searching for hours now and can't seem to find a thread on this.

So this is what i have:

99 Lexus GS 400 w/navi - Pioneer amp under passenger dash.

What I want to do:

Bypass stock amplifier and run 4 channel for fronts and mono amp for new sub.

1. Now I have read some threads that gave me the idea that if i bypass the factory amp i can mess up my nav or audio is this true?

2. Does anyone have a write up on bypassing the amp.

3. Where is the remote turn on wire located.

4. What do I use for the RCA's?

Any help would be great - im also doing a retro fit on the factory counsel for xm and bluetooth so will be adding this to the DIY threads.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-17-09, 11:35 AM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

i have a 4 channel running off my stock nak w/out navi. bypassed the stock amp and used hi/lo adapters off the stock HU.you will lose the sub and need a mono for that , im sure you can pull just the audio off the stock amp and not mess up any navi gear .
Old 01-18-09, 02:26 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you wanting to use the OEM nav/radio headunit with a an aftermarket amp? The Pioneer audio setup is a bit tricky since it does the switching from cd changer/radio at the stock amp.
Old 01-18-09, 10:26 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by denvergs4
Does anyone have a write up on bypassing the amp.
For what you want to do, you can not bypass the amp. You will simply use the output from the oem amp to feed the input signal to your new amp. That's the only way you can get it to work keeping your stock nav head unit.
Old 01-18-09, 02:01 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Thanks for your help guys. GS Fonzy you are correct thats what I had to do today. What a job I will have pics soon it's retro time for the GS.

Things Adding:

6.5 components front and back - MB Quart PVI
MB Quart 5 channell Amplifyer
JL 10"W3 custom box
Custom Parrot Bluetooth and XM in ashtray location
Cup holder mod - amp bass controll and flush mounted Ipod
Bezel Upgrade to 02+
Steering Wheel Emblem

One other question is - what do I use for the remote turn on and how do I send a signal to the amp using RCA's???

GS Fonzy your the man!
Old 01-18-09, 02:11 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

U can just use any 12V ignition wire for the remote on for the amp.

As for the rca's question, you need a line-level converter to hook up between OEM and Aftermarket amp.

The signal won't be as clean as it has to go low level(fm radio/cd), then to high(oem amp), then back down to low(LLC), then back to high(aftermarket amp).

Last edited by rgarjr; 01-18-09 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-18-09, 03:06 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Damn guys now Im fn confused and my system isnt working now. So what i need to do is take the oem speaker outputs from the amp and use a line-level converter to the amp then connect the speakers to the amp?

Also i noticed using the factory amp that the rear door speakers are much lower then the fronts - anyone heard of this.

Once I get this figured out im doing a write up. Seems this needs to be sticky.
Old 01-18-09, 03:18 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Man im getting closer and closer to just saying f it and just taking out the stock nav all together and relpacing it with aftermarket but from what i read this is a fn pain in the **** as well -

PowerLink II has adjustable gain, and is compatible with receivers rated up to 30 watts RMS per channel. ------That's LAME!
Old 01-19-09, 03:47 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

You should stay away from amping your door speakers, the only real difference will come from upgrading your sub.
Like mentioned before, use a hi-low converter for your after maket sub amp. You can get the signal at the amp or from the oem sub wires, it's the same thing. Then just splice the converter and hook up your RCAs to the new amp.
For remote wire, use a test light and fine an ignition 12v like mentioned before.
Old 03-06-09, 03:31 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how do i hook up a Hilo converter on a gs400 Nak no Navi... where do i splice into...
Old 03-06-09, 03:51 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecon7
how do i hook up a Hilo converter on a gs400 Nak no Navi... where do i splice into...
I also have a 400 with Nak (no Nav) and from what I understand, the line level converter (LLC) is hooked up the same way. I planned on putting a 10" sub in a sealed box in the trunk with the amp screwed to the back to save space. The LLC would be double-sided taped to the bottom of the rear deck with RCA wires dropping to the amp.
Old 03-07-09, 10:50 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

cheap line converters suck you need to get a lc6 by audio control that will clear up your problems have a professional install it then install your amps
Old 03-07-09, 08:07 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

The easiest way is to get it from the oem sub. The two sub wires, just splice them to the converter.

Originally Posted by tom steele
cheap line converters suck you need to get a lc6 by audio control that will clear up your problems have a professional install it then install your amps
What's wrong with using line converters? How do they suck? You do know the LC6 is just a line converter with more channels. So why would someone that is just adding a sub amp want 6 channels
Old 03-08-09, 11:43 AM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GSfonzy.. I see that but.. isnt there power coming from the AMP from those lines.. Im not a car audio guru..... im just saying before i do it...
Old 03-08-09, 12:36 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

GSfonzy.. I see that but.. isnt there power coming from the AMP from those lines.. Im not a car audio guru..... im just saying before i do it...
No power, it's an amplified signal. I had this set up for a few days before I installed my Z1.

Quick Reply: Stock Amplifier Bypass++ More Questions!