GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

anyone had ECU go CRAZY on you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 07:54 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default anyone had ECU go CRAZY on you?

Well it happened to me today. I left the school parking lot and was about to head back. I started the car, and noticed that my RSM went crazy, displaying a white screen, and when I pushed the down button it showed a bunch of binary codes and some firmware info (did I hack into it?)

So I said fine, shut the car down and later restarted. Seems fine now, RSM started right. So I got out of the parking lot and noticed that my transmission is either BROKEN OR DEAD! First gear's RPM climbs faster than usual, then when it shifts into 2nd gear there's a 5-SECOND-DELAY before it kicks into gear. In those 5-secs RPM don't climb no matter how hard I step on the gas. Then it won't shift into 3rd unless I totally let go of the gas pedal. 3rd gear won't shift into 4th.

I was very confused at that time, thinking that maybe I play with the tranny too much that I broke the gears or something. So I pulled into a park and turned the car off. Then I thought about calling Lexus Roadside to take it to Longo. Then I re-started the car to go home, and to my surprise everything's fine now. Everything seems normal.

What's going on? Was my ECU resetted or something? That was really jacked up, 5-speed auto acting like a 3-speed!
Old 02-28-02, 08:22 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn I'm lost with that one. I would get it checked out for sure to be safe.
Old 02-28-02, 08:27 PM
RacingAristo

How did you hack the stock ECU? You could make a fortune for that, not to detune from 5 speed to 3 speed though.

That hasn't happened to me yet but perhaps the ECU just has the BSOD (blue screen of death) and requires a reboot, much like Micro$oft's products. Don't try to season with a computer 'cause it just doesn't make sense sometimes. Reboot and everything is fine.

Oh.... by the way, take your car to Longo just in case. Say hi to William for me.
Old 02-28-02, 08:33 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RacingAristo
How did you hack the stock ECU? You could make a fortune for that, not to detune from 5 speed to 3 speed though.

That hasn't happened to me yet but perhaps the ECU just has the BSOD (blue screen of death) and requires a reboot, much like Micro$oft's products. Don't try to season with a computer 'cause it just doesn't make sense sometimes. Reboot and everything is fine.

Oh.... by the way, take your car to Longo just in case. Say hi to William for me.
I'll be doing 3-speed automatic downgrades for people at a small cost. I'll post my paypal account later

I just hope when I go to Longo, they won't blame things on my RSM which is tapped into the ECU.
Old 02-28-02, 09:48 PM
Dvlad
Driver School Candidate

GlobeCLK,

What is you "RSM"? I have not heard of that term before. Thanks
Old 02-28-02, 10:06 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Dvlad
GlobeCLK,

What is you "RSM"? I have not heard of that term before. Thanks
APEXi Rev-Speed Meter.
Old 02-28-02, 10:31 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Hi Globe,

The power for RSM might not ramp up correctly if you turn your ignition key too quickly. Try turning the key to enable all the electronic first, then start the engine.

When running into this type of trouble during driving. Turn off the car immidiately like you did, and wait a while for the RSM to discharge. Then restart again.

This problem can happen either due to groud bounce or power spike as well. It can also be cause by bad signal connection (especially if you intercepts a signal). So, check your connection first. If everything look ok, maybe try to use a stronger battery.

Hope this helps
Old 03-01-02, 12:41 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS - T.O.
Hi Globe,

The power for RSM might not ramp up correctly if you turn your ignition key too quickly. Try turning the key to enable all the electronic first, then start the engine.

When running into this type of trouble during driving. Turn off the car immidiately like you did, and wait a while for the RSM to discharge. Then restart again.

This problem can happen either due to groud bounce or power spike as well. It can also be cause by bad signal connection (especially if you intercepts a signal). So, check your connection first. If everything look ok, maybe try to use a stronger battery.

Hope this helps
thanks for the help.

I do that, wait for all the electronics to start before I actually start the car. I thought that'll be easier on the car.

I checked the connections and everything seems to be fine.

---------------FOLLOW UP---------------

ok today I went out in the morning and things are fine. However I do notice that my transmission is shifting very different from before, some gears kicking down easier and some gears doesn't kick down as easy. Like I can be in 4th gear, not in power mode, then I'll slightly tap the gas and it'll kick down to 3rd, even tho it seems like I can't even do that with PWR mode on before.

Seems like.... my ECU has been resetted or something, the transmission all of a sudden doesn't know my driving style. Did the ECU reset or something?