GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tint Traffic Stop "Way to go cop'er keeping the community safe, one window at a time"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 11:24 AM
DarrellGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint Traffic Stop "Way to go cop'er keeping the community safe, one window at a time"

So yesterday I was driving home from church with my wife in the car and my mother following behind me. I approach a three way stop, I stop behind the stop sign of course, but then pull foward just a bt to see if there is anything around the corner since is it a blind spot due to trees and a slight drop off due in street elevation. I see that there is a cop parked off to the left just sitting there, proabably playing with his thumbs, as I pass him and start to turn right in to the apartment complex, he pulls out with his lights on...my first thougts are, I know this guy is not going to try to get me for rolling a stop sign. So he comes up to me as ask me to roll down my windows, walks back to the car to get his tint meter comes back and says I stopped you because your windows looked dark, when he had his lights on before he had a chance to see my windows. Neverthess, he runs his meter, 14% is his reading, which I had much darker on my last vehicle, after he does his reading he tells me that I also failed to stop in the proper place, which I explained the blind spot...also adding that he has been to court many times about people and tint. Comes back with warning, the whole time I'm thinking that this guy just needed something to do as he was probably bored. Tells me that the warning is good for a week and if I dont change it in a week I'll get a ticket next time. I'm thinking really...my car might stand out a bit but really?? Over tint that's not even limo 5%?? I'm pissed now that I have to pay for it to be re-tinted...oh and he said that I need to get the Texas Star to show that its legal. I'm sure that he has to have better things to do than pull over nice cars with "dark" tint. Way to go cop'er keeping the community safe, one window at a time.
Old 01-05-09, 11:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

That's why I only went with the maximum legal tint on my old GS (35% in NC) even though I would have liked a bit darker.... to avoid hassles like these. Not worth the aggrevation and potential extra cost and time investment.
Old 01-05-09, 11:45 AM
DarrellGS4
Driver

35%

Thats crazy...they'd probably call the swat team on you if you had my 14%
Old 01-05-09, 11:47 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Whether or not he has something better to do probably depends on what size town/city you are in and how busy his beat is. I have been pulled over many times by bored cops while driving through small Texas towns with my tinted windows and Cali plates. Driving a Import in some parts of the Lone Star State can draw the wrong attention too.

That said I have had to pull the tint from my windows twice in 11 years of driving which is no where near enough hassle to make me not re-tint them. Here in Cali the only legal front tint is NO tint.
Old 01-05-09, 11:52 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow...that sucks...I feel ya on the getting pulled over b/c they were bored, before I got my Lexus, I had a JDM 240sx w/ a silvia front-end...and got pulled over like that for nothing. So that is why I put legal tint which I have been using for awhile. Texas is also 35%....for just the two front windows, any other window can be as dark as they want, well of course except for the front windsheild. Next time you see a cop...just roll both windows down....if you still have your 14% tint....

sometimes they pull you over to see if they can catch anything else....like warrants or so....
Old 01-05-09, 11:53 AM
bg_281
Driver

Yea I got pulled over a while back by a state trooper and he put the meter on my window and my tint registered as 2%... so he gave me the ticket and I never went to court for it... well a couple of months later when I figured that I had a warrant, I called to ask about it and they said they had no record of me ever getting a ticket... So I guess I got lucky and I still got the tint on my car... And whenever I go to get my inspection done I just roll the front windows and pull the fuse for them, and when the people ask about the windows I tell them that they just don't roll up...
Old 01-05-09, 11:56 AM
bg_281
Driver

Originally Posted by junjdm
Texas is also 35%....for just the two front windows,
Actually the legal limit in TX is 20% for the front windows
Old 01-05-09, 11:56 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

im running 5% on all the side windows, 35% on the front windshield, and 15% on the whole back window! that was if they get behind me, he can see all the way through my car with no problems. im thinking bout going back to 3% on the side windows

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tint-pics.html
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=49783

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-05-09 at 12:25 PM. Reason: removed potty mouth
Old 01-05-09, 12:40 PM
Chumacher
Lead Lap

that cop was bored, broke, and jealous of your whip. can't blame him tho. your ****ty economy is what pays him his 30 grand a year.
Old 01-05-09, 12:52 PM
DarrellGS4
Driver

Originally Posted by bg_281
Yea I got pulled over a while back by a state trooper and he put the meter on my window and my tint registered as 2%... so he gave me the ticket and I never went to court for it... well a couple of months later when I figured that I had a warrant, I called to ask about it and they said they had no record of me ever getting a ticket... So I guess I got lucky and I still got the tint on my car... And whenever I go to get my inspection done I just roll the front windows and pull the fuse for them, and when the people ask about the windows I tell them that they just don't roll up...
2%...thats what I had in my old car...I loved it because no one could peek into my car to scope out my electronics and or I could leave my cell or wallet without out fear of someone seeing it and breaking my window.

I should have rolled my window down, I use to actually do that with the old tint, this one is just not that far off of legal limit. If the legal limit is 20% on front, it would take a hell of an eye to see by the naked eye.
Old 01-05-09, 01:19 PM
denvergs4
Driver

That FN cop was just jealous! I was pulled over recently for the same thing, the cop said my tint looked too dark. I said well this is how it came from the dealership so you need to write them a ticket. I get bad with cops, not my best trait but thats what good attorneys are for. Cost me $60 but Im going to take it to court with my invoice from the dealer - rub that in there nose. Its only 35% at most.

I live in a upper class community of 20-30k people with two seperate police divisions, theres a douglas county and lone tree, total number of police cars=48. Give me a fn break -their police badge should say "traffic police" not "protect and serve"

Just my two cents........
Old 01-05-09, 01:41 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Coincidentally...the only time I've been bothered for window tint was when I had my integra. Bet they thought a 300lb guy was racing an econobox...Hmmm
Old 01-05-09, 02:37 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

don't even complain man. I just got a tint ticket a few weeks ago here in RI for 20% in the middle of the day. RI's legal limit is 70%, but realistically with absolutely no infractions of any kind on my record, i really think the cop could have let me go. He pulled me over right after i left my school for christs sake. I just had to pay to get it removed, and they still f*^&ed up the FOP sticker i had on my rear window. Court on friday.
Old 01-05-09, 03:41 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF! meter? LOL
I guess here in Cali is you have or don't have tint, no meter needed.
Old 01-05-09, 04:04 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

that sucks man, tint laws shouldn't vary from state to state, wtf does Florida get to have dark a** tint allowed

Quick Reply: Tint Traffic Stop "Way to go cop'er keeping the community safe, one window at a time"