GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-09, 12:15 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint question

In the next few weeks I will be looking to repaint my car in the stock color, Black Onyx.

I have a good friend who works at a local body shop (has painted my rims in the past) and can do anything I ask. The previous owner repainted his car before I bought it because he had kids who scratched the outside. Overall they did a pretty crappy job so I am going to have the car stripped, wet sanded, reconditioned, and repainted. I'm also going to have the L-Tuned skirts painted and put on

My question is this...how much flake, if any, was put into Black Onyx from the factory? It's hard for me to tell since my car has been repainted. I want there to be some sparkle and depth in the paint so I am inclined to have some added to the mixture, but wanted to ask you guys who have stock paint.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-09, 12:37 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
In the next few weeks I will be looking to repaint my car in the stock color, Black Onyx.

I have a good friend who works at a local body shop (has painted my rims in the past) and can do anything I ask. The previous owner repainted his car before I bought it because he had kids who scratched the outside. Overall they did a pretty crappy job so I am going to have the car stripped, wet sanded, reconditioned, and repainted. I'm also going to have the L-Tuned skirts painted and put on

My question is this...how much flake, if any, was put into Black Onyx from the factory? It's hard for me to tell since my car has been repainted. I want there to be some sparkle and depth in the paint so I am inclined to have some added to the mixture, but wanted to ask you guys who have stock paint.

Thanks.
Is your black onyx the same Toyota 202 paint code as what was on the black GS430 from 2001? If so I don't think there is any flake added to this stock paint as there appears to be none in my black paint and it is a regular deep black color with no flake. I personally like that there is no flake added to it because it has a wetter deeper darker glossier look to it. My parents have flake in their black Acuras which I detail and they may sparkle some in the sun(not much) but the paint does not look as impressive and dark to me, I prefer a deeper darker color on my car but that is just me.

You can definitely get flake added to your finish when you have your car repainted though, just make sure they use a flex agent in the paint especially around the bumpers/l tuned skirts and they do a good job wetsanding it so there is minimal to no orange peel. How much is it going to cost you to repaint your car? Black cars are supposed to be cheaper to paint because it is much easier to match from the previous paint and some say blacks are easier to paint then other colors especially metallics.
Old 01-03-09, 01:20 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Is your black onyx the same Toyota 202 paint code as what was on the black GS430 from 2001? If so I don't think there is any flake added to this stock paint as there appears to be none in my black paint and it is a regular deep black color with no flake. I personally like that there is no flake added to it because it has a wetter deeper darker glossier look to it. My parents have flake in their black Acuras which I detail and they may sparkle some in the sun(not much) but the paint does not look as impressive and dark to me, I prefer a deeper darker color on my car but that is just me.

You can definitely get flake added to your finish when you have your car repainted though, just make sure they use a flex agent in the paint especially around the bumpers/l tuned skirts and they do a good job wetsanding it so there is minimal to no orange peel. How much is it going to cost you to repaint your car? Black cars are supposed to be cheaper to paint because it is much easier to match from the previous paint and some say blacks are easier to paint then other colors especially metallics.
The paint code is indeed 202 so it's that same color you're talking about. I guess I need to start to pay attention to black cars to see if they do or dont have flake in order to make a determination on what I want.

My friend is going to do all the work and is going to charge me about $800. Thanks for the reply
Old 01-03-09, 01:38 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yep, 202 black has no flake in it. Though, i do think it could benefit from maybe a little pearl just to brighten it a little in the right light.
Old 01-03-09, 02:02 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
yep, 202 black has no flake in it. Though, i do think it could benefit from maybe a little pearl just to brighten it a little in the right light.
That's what I was thinking. Something subtle but still a deep black.
Old 01-03-09, 07:28 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Flake as in "Metallic" ?
Old 01-03-09, 07:31 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's what I was thinking. Something subtle but still a deep black.
check out bentley black too, i don't have a color code but supposedly its the blackest black around.
Old 01-03-09, 08:22 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My friend is going to do all the work and is going to charge me about $800.
Now that's the hookup!!
Old 01-03-09, 09:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The paint code is indeed 202 so it's that same color you're talking about. I guess I need to start to pay attention to black cars to see if they do or dont have flake in order to make a determination on what I want.

My friend is going to do all the work and is going to charge me about $800. Thanks for the reply
Wow, if your friend does a good professional job that lasts then $800 is a great price. Some other threads people are paying 3-5K for a paint job and some even 7 or 8K I guess for a very custom paint job. I would like to eventually get my front bumper and hood painted as they are looking a little rough from road rash, paint chips, some scratches. I may be crazy enough to try it myself if I research it enough and think I can do a good job without ever have painted a car before.
Old 01-04-09, 05:22 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think if you're looking for a deep and glossy look, I would add some flakes, or as they call it "sparkle," you might want to go with a candy powder coat. Gives it a cleaner, and much more "sparkle" look than stock.

How about flat black?
Old 01-04-09, 06:28 PM
k.r.e.a.m.
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

MP, on a side note. I'm looking for a body shop to do some work...where's your friend's shop located in ATL? Looking to add a kit and maybe respray my hood.
Old 01-09-09, 09:09 AM
edsones14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey MPlexus im new to this sight , but been painting for a minute some things to consider if your going to repaint your car.
1. decideing on the color is probably the hardest, but u want black so to easy
2. too many shades and variances of black like pearls, pearls that flip color, all size metal flakes and glass just to name a few. I did a friends 240 with an old 91,92 i think, factory honda black. It had a very suttle red pearl also did a Harley with it too and it looked bad***. Which brings to my next point
3. if u are going to change the color get something factory it doesnt matter from what make or model of car. That way when u want to fix up little scratches or minor fender benders u can match paint alot easier. If u custom mix your own make sure u get enough for later on down the road, just in case. Trying to match a custom mix is not that easy, but it can still be done and it might cost u more.
4. Good luck with your choice, lots of options out there. Here is a website i go to sometimes for supplies and even ideas or new paint colors, its called autobodydepot.com and click under auto paint.
Old 01-09-09, 09:23 AM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Originally Posted by UncleRay

How about flat black?
I've had some thoughts about doing my dually in flat black, but the the GS3 might be a better first candidate.
Attached Thumbnails Paint question-p5110029.jpg  
Old 01-09-09, 09:25 AM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Flat black Excursion done on one of the boating forums I visit:
Attached Thumbnails Paint question-2222.jpg  
Old 01-09-09, 10:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz