GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

P0763 Shift Solenoid Fixed..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 06:52 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sigh. Just bought it. Paid $265 with discount. Opted not to try the trans additive. Thanks wbmx1981 for the advising.
Old 06-25-14, 07:10 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Champstar
Sigh. Just bought it. Paid $265 with discount. Opted not to try the trans additive. Thanks wbmx1981 for the advising.
Just read this DIY and you'll be fine. You can do it. PM me if you have any questions or need help.
Old 06-26-14, 05:54 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

The solenoid arrived earlier today. Fast shipping from Sewell.
I'm trying to drop the pan but I ran into a hick up. How do you remove the refill hose? Pic attached reference
Attached Thumbnails P0763 Shift Solenoid Fixed..-20140626_193852.jpg   P0763 Shift Solenoid Fixed..-20140626_193913.jpg  
Old 06-26-14, 06:25 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Got it. It detaches 3/4s of the way up.
Old 11-16-14, 09:32 PM
2jLee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been suffering through a Flashing TCS light for a couple of months now. And that ain't fun. Scanner reports P0763 (shift solenoid C) lexus dealer here wants $540.00 for the Solenoid and wont even fit it with out rebuilding the entire gearbox!!! So my buddy and I took matters into our own hands, took tranny pan off..

and removed the offending solenoid, which we identified using a multi meter. 14 ohms is about right, but the offending unit..

had no resistance at all???
Hey guys, firstly I'd like to gave a hats off to all your geniuses for taking the time to diagnose instead of replacing parts until the problem is resolved.

So on to the point, I also have an offending solenoid but having problems figuring out which. When you guys test for resistance, do you do it with the solenoid out of the car and have the OHM meter probes touching each prong on the solenoid OR with it all still intact, nothing disconnected, and back probe the wires. AND do you do this with the engine off or key on the "on" postion with engine off?

Much appreciated guys. Ready to have this issue resolved already.
Old 11-19-14, 07:01 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2jLee
Hey guys, firstly I'd like to gave a hats off to all your geniuses for taking the time to diagnose instead of replacing parts until the problem is resolved.

So on to the point, I also have an offending solenoid but having problems figuring out which. When you guys test for resistance, do you do it with the solenoid out of the car and have the OHM meter probes touching each prong on the solenoid OR with it all still intact, nothing disconnected, and back probe the wires. AND do you do this with the engine off or key on the "on" postion with engine off?

Much appreciated guys. Ready to have this issue resolved already.
The problem code will let you know which solenoid is bad. You don't need to test and pull every single solenoid and test. P0763 specifically says solenoid "C". I would not tug and pull on anything else except the bad solenoid. In order to test, remove the solenoid from the vehicle and test. No keys, the car should be off.
The following users liked this post:
Royblackmore (10-10-23)
Old 12-03-14, 12:12 AM
2jLee
Driver School Candidate

Thx wbmx1981 for the reply.

Back again, so I have 2 PDFs attached that ultimately helped me with my issue. I did some further digging and came across this, hopefully this can benefit others in regards to not only to the DTC P0763 but other DTCs as well. Worth checking out
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Auto Trans DTCs A650E.pdf (40.5 KB, 1589 views)
File Type: pdf
SB Solenoid L-TC004-05.pdf (26.6 KB, 3007 views)
Old 12-03-14, 03:27 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2jLee
Thx wbmx1981 for the reply.

Back again, so I have 2 PDFs attached that ultimately helped me with my issue. I did some further digging and came across this, hopefully this can benefit others in regards to not only to the DTC P0763 but other DTCs as well. Worth checking out
Very helpful information!
Old 04-25-15, 08:10 PM
Jlacck
Driver

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I was pointed here by someone in another thread (LS400). I actually drive a 98 ls400 obviously, but it appears that a lot of the information here is relevant to LS models as well.

In any case, I'm having the same issues as many people in this post (check engine code: 0763 shift solenoid C). It seems like I'm having trouble finding a mechanic who wants to replace JUST the solenoid. Without truly diagnosing the exact culprit, basically I keep hearing quotes related to replacing or rebuilding the transmission. I honestly don't think this car needs a whole new transmission.

I'm actually not experiencing any major shifting issues... the car runs, reverses, shifts etc just fine. Every now and then I might feel a little "hiccup" in the first gear but that's usually when I'm first starting the car after a long stop (over night or several hours). But when I talk to any mechanics, basically I get the impression people are scared to "touch it" unless I'm willing to rebuild the transmission.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get the check engine light off my car so I can pass emissions. Does anyone have any experience getting someone else to change out JUST the solenoid? I'm not experienced at all with mechanical work so I'd rather NOT do it myself. Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences anyone can share?
Old 10-28-15, 09:23 AM
MarcOchoa
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the site and my IS300. I'm reaching out to see if anyone here can help me out with the issue I'm having. Here's the background…

Car details:
2003 IS300
Automatic Transmission with 136,500 miles

Recap on the issue:
Car shifts and runs fine in city driving, but as soon as I try to accelerate, pass someone or get on the freeway, the car has NO power. Car downshifts normally, but the car doesn’t actually go faster when the RPM’s rise as it’s downshifting through gears. Another thing I noticed last week on the freeway…if I press the gas pedal just enough without making it downshift, the car appears to accelerate faster than when I press harder on the pedal and make it downshift… Any ideas on what this might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Maintenance Complete:
Air Filter Change
Cleaned MAF sensor
Cleaned Throttle Body
Transmission Fluid Change

None of this helped with the issue I’m having, so I decided to bite the bullet and take it into the dealership for a diagnostic. I told Lexus the problem that I was having and that I was under the impression that it might be the torque converter or something within the transmission. They had the car for nearly a full week, came back and said that there’s nothing wrong with my transmission (huge sigh of relief). They said it’s my manifold/catalytic converter and that it’s somehow clogged and causing poor engine performance. Couldn’t afford the $2500 they were going to charge to install the new one, so I took it home to do the job myself.

New catalytic converter is in and it’s still the same exact as it was prior… :/ Can anyone give further advice as to what this might be? I’m scheduled to take the car back to Lexus tomorrow, but would love to save the $200 diagnostic fee if I can. I’ve done quite a bit of reading on this site and others and it sounds like it might be a shift solenoid, but I’m not sure? I haven’t gotten a CEL or anything like that and others that had shift solenoid issues also said they got a CEL light/code.
Old 10-30-15, 08:21 AM
MarcOchoa
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone help with my above question? I'd really appreciate any advice/guidance you might have.
Old 11-05-15, 10:05 AM
MarcOchoa
Driver School Candidate

**UPDATE 11.5.2015**

Just got the car back from Lexus and they're saying they mis-diagnosed the car the first time (only cost me $200 for the diagnosis, $1000 for the part and 4 hours of my time..no big deal ) when they said it's the catalytic converter causing the loss of power. EVEN THOUGH I told them when I originally dropped the car off, that was what I thought it was.

They're now saying it's the transmission. Apparently it's "slipping when engaged"...FML!!

Anyone have experience or recommendations on rebuilding the transmission?
Old 12-19-15, 03:41 PM
trickz
Driver

I know this is an old thread but my car throwing a P0980 code. Kind of different from what odes are throwing
Old 03-13-16, 06:31 PM
Brenden401
Driver School Candidate

Default Code p1760

Installed a used transmission and now trow code p1760 can someone help
Old 07-20-16, 05:25 PM
eBigRich
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm close to ramming this car into a tree!

So started out with intermittent shifting vehicle not wanting to go past third, etc. Code p067. So after much research and this particular forum I decided to put it on the rack and drop the tranny pan. So after a power flush new filter took out first for shift solenoids and spray them down real good with MAF cleaner the infamous VCS light came back on after 10 minutes of driving period now weird thing is I drove an hour in the car today in manual and it worked fine went through all gears smoothly. So on the last 20 miles or so of my trip home I decide to put it in D and see what happens from a complete stop. Light turns green I stopped on it shift first 2nd 3rd but then did not want to go into fourth again FML. Pulled over killed the car and went into manual and everything was fine except Now does not want to go into 5th. Anyway when I check the resistance across the solenoids one was pulling 14 one was pulling 14.5 one was only pulling 12.9 could that be an issue?

Quick Reply: P0763 Shift Solenoid Fixed..