GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

P0763 Shift Solenoid Fixed..

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 05:52 PM
Jmoore4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zoo98
This may be a dumb question , but why does this "hard" shift, from 1st gear to 2nd gear, only happen when the car is cold.
im having the same problem but slight the opposite i have a throttle body problem and mines hard shift first and second gear once the throttle goes out but when the throttle is fine it doesn't jerk at all i put it on the scanner and got the Po763 code to but i still have all my gears
Old 04-03-14, 07:17 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmoore4
im having the same problem but slight the opposite i have a throttle body problem and mines hard shift first and second gear once the throttle goes out but when the throttle is fine it doesn't jerk at all i put it on the scanner and got the Po763 code to but i still have all my gears
You can get the new solenoid from Sewell Parts. It's fairly easy to replace.
Old 04-14-14, 03:15 PM
Black1129
Rookie

Does anyone have pictures on how to bend the solenoid back. Cause I have the same problem with the code and at the same time if I were to hit a nice bump it'll shift smooth afterwards and then my M mode will start to work again. Then it'll go back after awhile and start to shift hard and M mode would flash. So I'm assuming its a bad connection. (Is300)
Old 04-16-14, 10:23 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by Black1129
Does anyone have pictures on how to bend the solenoid back. Cause I have the same problem with the code and at the same time if I were to hit a nice bump it'll shift smooth afterwards and then my M mode will start to work again. Then it'll go back after awhile and start to shift hard and M mode would flash. So I'm assuming its a bad connection. (Is300)
It's not a bend per say but more of a slight movement of the connection prong. Actually, cleaning and bending it only worked for a few weeks then it came back. I had to re-drop the pan and do all the work over again. I'd just get the new part because there is a lot of work involved to do it twice.
Old 05-20-14, 02:50 PM
miz2jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread! i have the same code (P0763) and i was ready to buy a new solenoid and see how much my local mechanic could fix it for but thanks to you guys i think i'll try everything else first before resorting to changing it completely out!
Old 05-20-14, 03:05 PM
miz2jz
Driver School Candidate

Question

Question...when you get a P0763, it can be the following:

1. The ECM (main engine computer)
2. The wiring harness from the ECM to the solenoid
3. The solenoid itself (the P0763 states that the solenoid is either electrically "closed" or "open", that is, it's either shorted (stays on when it shouldn't) or has an open loop (i.e. it won't turn on when it's supposed to due to a break in the circuit)

I plan on doing a complete tranny flush, cleaning the pan and magnets and the solenoids, BUT has anyone done all the following and changed the solenoid(s) and found it to be either the ECM or the wiring harness??
The following users liked this post:
Royblackmore (09-25-23)
Old 05-21-14, 04:22 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by miz2jz

3. The solenoid itself (the P0763 states that the solenoid is either electrically "closed" or "open", that is, it's either shorted (stays on when it shouldn't) or has an open loop (i.e. it won't turn on when it's supposed to due to a break in the circuit)

I plan on doing a complete tranny flush, cleaning the pan and magnets and the solenoids, BUT has anyone done all the following and changed the solenoid(s) and found it to be either the ECM or the wiring harness??
No not in my experience, it was never the wiring harness or the ECM.
Old 05-21-14, 04:39 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by wise2k
...and once the pan is dropped you might as well clean them both, they are sitting side by side and use the same 10mm and 8mm tools; that's what I did with mine, and yes, it was P0763.

For what it's worth, after I put mine back together I almost drove it off the bridge because the car was still driving bad with just 3 gears (I didn't clear the code), but after about 3 - 4 miles of driving as I was approaching a stop sign I felt it downshifting. Couldn't believe what I just experienced and took off from the stop and felt it shifting through every single gear til 5th. It was breath-taking!!
Although this is somewhat of an old thread, I have to quote this guy.... Your story is truely a hit. I swear to you it's almost like a scene out of some gun slinger movie, John Wayne and his crippled horse, all wounded
gimping though the desert, then suddenly, a water hole! The horse gets a fresh sip of Trans fluid, and suddenly! DA DA NA NAAAA NA NAA NAAA!!!! (Or wait no, that's Indiana jones huh my bad...)
Whatever sounds good:

But anyhow that's an awesome story you made up there... Woulda been better if it was true... Can't imagine how good that must have felt.... Probably breath taking...
Attached Thumbnails P0763 Shift Solenoid Fixed..-image.jpg  
Old 05-21-14, 04:44 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Thinking if I've got the time right now.... If I should do this procedure for preventative reasons... Just drop the pan, clean all the sensors out, filter and what not, and new Trans fluid flush. But what did you guys do, drop the pan, clean it all, then flushed it? God I hate the idea of having to run whatever fluid that's still in there, which is a lot, though all the freshly cleaned parts durring the actual flush.... Yea it's going to get flushed out, but dam... Wish we could get all of it out first, and do a complete fill somehow... To bad... But what you think? Clean her out? She has started to feel a little slippy lately I got to say
Old 05-21-14, 04:48 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by miz2jz

Not talking from experience, but I don't see the harness or ECM causing that code before those noids do... No chance.... If you've got the code, and it's your harness or ECM after doing this all, I'll tell you what, give me a video of proof you did it all, and I'll give you an ECM and harness k. Mark my word.
Old 06-22-14, 03:28 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having the same issue. My Gs400 doesn't move once I press the gas, then jumps to 3rd gear. The CEL is on, but I get the P0753 (Solenoid A) instead of P0763. I will get new filter installed and drain and refill tomorrow and report back.
Old 06-23-14, 02:00 PM
Black1129
Rookie

Originally Posted by Champstar
I am having the same issue. My Gs400 doesn't move once I press the gas, then jumps to 3rd gear. The CEL is on, but I get the P0753 (Solenoid A) instead of P0763. I will get new filter installed and drain and refill tomorrow and report back.
Soooo anything different?
Old 06-23-14, 08:01 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Dude if you're going to take all the time, effort and money to drop the pan, replace the filter and refill with fresh ATF, you might as well replace the solenoid. While you're there you might as well replace the 3 rubber gaskets that are around the filter. Btw, the filter is a wire mesh, I just made sure mine was clean, I reused it. Look at the diagram in the thread. Sewell has all 3 solenoids for sale on the site, they all must be common issues on the 2GS.
Old 06-24-14, 09:21 AM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

I did not change the filter, instead did a drain and refill. The problem seemed fixed, but for only the first 20 miles and came back. I'm thinking about doing another drain and refill, and adding some lucas transmission stop slip additive. I've done some research and see it has worked great in the past for some. I spoke with Lexus and the solenoid is $368! (Same cost of a used transmission). I can't find it anywhere else online. Can you post a link to the site or pm me? I see solenoids for the A340E, A340, AW4 on ebay for $60 bucks. But nowhere can I find the one for the A650E?

Last edited by Champstar; 06-24-14 at 09:22 AM. Reason: new to used
Old 06-24-14, 09:35 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

I did not change the filter, instead did a drain and refill. The problem seemed fixed, but for only the first 20 miles and came back. I'm thinking about doing another drain and refill, and adding some lucas transmission stop slip additive. I've done some research and see it has worked great in the past for some. I spoke with Lexus and the solenoid is $368! (Same cost of a used transmission). I can't find it anywhere else online. Can you post a link to the site or pm me? I see solenoids for the A340E, A340, AW4 on ebay for $60 bucks. But nowhere can I find the one for the A650E?
I paid 271.87 from sewell with the clublexus discount, on the site type in your clublexus user name in the promotion code line. It's worth every penny. My problem got solved by breaking down and just getting a new part. I tried everything and nothing worked. You can drain and fill "till the cows come home", but that will not fix it.

Quick Reply: P0763 Shift Solenoid Fixed..